Internet Archive tabletop Scribe scanner (TT Scribe)

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Internet Archive tabletop Scribe scanner (TT Scribe)

Post by vitorio »

At the Internet Archive annual event tonight, they mentioned a new Scribe model. I didn't watch the stream (and haven't seen a link for it yet), but it's described in the main event announcement as a:
Table-top book scanner that works with back-end Archive technology and staff to create beautiful online books
A little poking around turns up this photo:

And this link, which includes videos of assembly and use: https://archive.org/details/TableTopScribe
The TT Scribe is a budget-friendly $9,999 USD for North America, ships from Richmond, California. Pricing includes:
  • 2 digital color cameras - 10 megapixels or greater. Includes AC power adapters. Manufacturer's warranty covers 100,000 shots per camera.
  • Energy efficient LED lights. 10,000 hour warranty.
  • Easy-to-assemble,'tool-less' mechanical set up, black anodized frame with 24-month warranty.
  • First 50 books or 15,000 pages of back-end Internet Archive processing (normally $.04USD) are free!
  • Price includes an Internet Archive supplied laptop loaded with Internet Archive approved digitization software with auto-upload functionality via 'normal' office WiFi.
  • Large image and archival sub-assembly hardware and lighting included at no extra cost. Note: one of the cameras must be repositioned onto the overhead arm (set up time is less than 3 minutes).
Optionally auto-uploads to the Internet Archive and your first 15k pages are stored and post-processed by their systems for free! And $0.04/page thereafter, which is less than half the $0.10 they normally charge (which includes the cost of them performing the scanning).

Seems like a pretty good deal for a library or other collection holder to me, given the IA backing and access. More than competitive with commercial models.

If you discount the 15k pages ($600), the laptop ($600?), and cameras ($1k each?), that's still 6x more than the Archivist scanner, though, so if you aren't an institution, maybe not for you.

Also there's a shout-out to Daniel Reetz and this forum at the end.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Internet Archive tabletop Scribe scanner (TT Scribe)

Post by daniel_reetz »

vitorio wrote: Also there's a shout-out to Daniel Reetz and this forum at the end.
I had to ask for that, and I've asked them several times to share their source files, which were derived from mine, and they haven't. So good for them, but sorry for them, too.

On one hand, I'm happy that the Archive finally adopted our technology - that is the triumph of Open Source and all the work here. On the other hand, I wish they'd respect the spirit of the Open Hardware license I released the files under.

In case there is any question that the scanner is based on our tech, just watch this:

https://archive.org/details/Ttscribe_201307

That video was taken in one of their China scan centers, which incidentally is also where they make the big Scribes. They borrowed one of my machines from Noisebridge, sent the files to China and had it remade from aluminum. They've repeatedly refused to share the source files even though I have asked nicely several times and even though I asked that they share the sources back when Jude Coelho first emailed me to ask if they could use the design.

I wish they had just collaborated with us, but that didn't work when I worked there, and they don't seem to be working that way now. Things would be a lot nicer if they'd just respect the Open Source model.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Also, the cameras onboard are currently Nikon J1s - definitely not $1K cameras.
rajbot

Post by rajbot »

Hi Daniel,

I asked about it, and am told that the design files will be posted.. they are still iterating on the design.

As for cameras, they are shipping with three Nikon 1 J3s. I did the camera driver work for the J3 (and other Nikon 1-series cameras), and that work has been pushed upstream and is available in gphoto 2.5.5.

-raj
kallampero
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kallampero »

I wonder if those files were ever shared, and the extent to which this machine is still in production. I can also no longer find any nod to Daniel and DIYBS, not even the paltry one they reluctantly tucked at the bottom of the page when they realized we realized what they'd done with our kit we loaned them for all those months.

EDIT: Machine still in production with a $9,999.00 price tag (https://archive.org/details/tabletopscribecosting). Includes cameras, dedicated terminal w/ IA software, etc.

This is the last paragraph on the info page (https://archive.org/details/tabletopscribesystem):

"Before we close, we want to recognize the early work of Daniel Reetz and the DIY community. They saw a need for a DIY image capture device and developed a working prototype offered under an OpenHardwareDesign license - CC-BY-SA[2]. You may find information about that here - http://www.diybookscanner.org"
If you see something, scan something. The public domain begins at home.
kallampero
Number of books owned: 500

Post by kallampero »

still being sold, but now $3000 pricier.
If you see something, scan something. The public domain begins at home.
geneb
E-book readers owned: Kindle, android tablets..
Number of books owned: 0

Post by geneb »

I just emailed the IA about getting the files released for the scribe. We'll see if that does any good.

Does anyone have a wide-angle photo of their other scanner, the one that uses a floating platen? I can't find a photo that shows how & where the cameras are mounted.

tnx.

g.
CLamb
E-book readers owned: None
Number of books owned: 50

Post by CLamb »

It doesn't seem like the Internet Archive will be sharing the plans for the scanner. Is anyone interested in trying to reverse engineer it? I know there are quite a few at universities and other institutions around the USA. I'm wondering if one will allow someone to photograph and measure dimensions.