My first book scanner.

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

alrumich

Re: My first book scanner.

Post by alrumich »

daniel_reetz wrote: alrumich, when you get a chance, would you consider posting a pic or two of your first build? Nothing is more exciting than seeing more builds around here... and the variety of designs and hacks people come up with is just awesome.

Sorry for not answering the actual question -- I'm sure IcantRead will be as totally forthcoming as he always is.

I will post some photos soon (it is quite ugly though :)
IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead »

Yes it is made out of 3/4 MDF and its 22 1/2 x 16 1/4 x 31 3/4 inchs. I plan on making a full pdf of exact dimentions and how to build. However that won't be untill I work out the kinks. Now that I have built it I want to change a few things.
cratylus

Post by cratylus »

IcantRead wrote:Now that I have built it I want to change a few things.
Right!

It looks like our platen designs are very similar. I had good luck with 1/2" MDF with a 1/4" rabbet and 5 min. epoxy. You used Gorilla Glue? And it bonds pretty stiff? (I used a rabbet to "bury" the leading edge of the glass to limit any chance of slicing my fingers.)

Also, have you considered using bungee cords as a help in lifting the platen? What height from the top of the platen glass did you have to position your bulbs so that they wouldn't reflect?

Joel
alrumich

Post by alrumich »

IcantRead wrote:Yes it is made out of 3/4 MDF and its 22 1/2 x 16 1/4 x 31 3/4 inchs. I plan on making a full pdf of exact dimentions and how to build. However that won't be untill I work out the kinks. Now that I have built it I want to change a few things.
Thanks a lot! This is helpful. I have similar dimensions in my plan, but was not sure about the height (37" seemed too tall). BTW, have you cut the MDF yourself? (I have only B&D Jigsaw and hope to have my panel cut in Lowe's, where they do it for free).
alrumich

Post by alrumich »

IcantRead wrote:Yes it is made out of 3/4 MDF and its 22 1/2 x 16 1/4 x 31 3/4 inchs. I plan on making a full pdf of exact dimentions and how to build. However that won't be untill I work out the kinks. Now that I have built it I want to change a few things.
One more thing! Could you please upload some images of your finished scanner? Thanks!
cratylus

Post by cratylus »

alrumich wrote:I have only B&D Jigsaw and hope to have my panel cut in Lowe's, where they do it for free).
Ahh, fear not! You can make your own jigsaw guide from scraps. Just screw one straight piece to a wider one and cut away the waste. Now you can line up the guide on your cut line. It'll work in a pinch.
Jigsaw.jpg
Jigsaw.jpg (82.6 KiB) Viewed 8635 times

Joel
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

Yeah I did the cuts myself my dad has a table saw. I did everything with a half sheet of MDF (49"/97"). I think I have a board layout of everything I'll upload it when I get a chance. It has the mesurements of everything on it. You will have to piece it all together baced on the images I have up though. I'll take some more pics of the scanner when I get home. I would not recomend making the craidle until I work out all the problems.
alrumich

Post by alrumich »

cratylus wrote:
alrumich wrote:I have only B&D Jigsaw and hope to have my panel cut in Lowe's, where they do it for free).
Ahh, fear not! You can make your own jigsaw guide from scraps. Just screw one straight piece to a wider one and cut away the waste. Now you can line up the guide on your cut line. It'll work in a pinch.
Jigsaw.jpg

Joel
Thanks, Joel! That is helpful.
IcantRead

Post by IcantRead »

Here is the PDF of all of my measurements
Attachments
Scanner 2.2.PDF
(1.61 MiB) Downloaded 851 times
alrumich