Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jck57

Re: Monson's Servo Auto Scanner

Post by jck57 »

revwarguy wrote:
BTW, I'm scheming up a new version of this that adapts to the Hackerspace scanner. It won't have the pressers with slotted aluminum arms and plastic vees, but will include the other servo gadgets.
You're going to raise the book into the platen by motor control? Hmmm... That probably rules out R/C servos for it. Turning a 5 start screw by a stepper might do it, like a NEMA 23, allowing precise control around the glass. Perhaps a 12V windshield wiper motor would be cheaper, and it would certainly have enough torque. Not much room to place the turning arms inside the box and still get them out of the way of the platen.

My idea is to use a 12v wiper motor and mount it outside the scanner with a link to the pull down handle. Looking at this wiper motor with integral motor control: http://www.devicecraft.com/wimoseco.html
revwarguy
E-book readers owned: samsung 10.1 tablet
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by revwarguy »

Wow, I hadn't seen a controller like that which would allow you to use a big motor as a R/C servo (pulse width positioning). Thanks for the link to that. :) Kinda pricey, though. :(

So, how to control it? Micro switches to detect limit of travel?
jck57

Post by jck57 »

revwarguy wrote:Wow, I hadn't seen a controller like that which would allow you to use a big motor as a R/C servo (pulse width positioning). Thanks for the link to that. :) Kinda pricey, though. :(

So, how to control it? Micro switches to detect limit of travel?
According to the data sheet http://site.devicecraft.com/DataSheets/ ... orSpec.pdf the controller can be configured for different modes of operation.
revwarguy
E-book readers owned: samsung 10.1 tablet
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by revwarguy »

Yup, I did see the other modes it could operate in, but it was the R/C mode that got the wheels turning...
jck57

Post by jck57 »

Making a new triggering gadget that rips off Dan's dual cable lever idea. Found I didn't have a good way to manually trigger the cameras to re-shoot missed pages. Pressing on the cameras didn't work because of the shakes. Although this system may be a bit more complex, it's cheaper because only one servo. I still have to make the other camera mount before I know if it will work or not.
Attachments
IMG_0926.JPG
IMG_0926.JPG (43.18 KiB) Viewed 12510 times
IMG_0922.JPG
IMG_0922.JPG (49.98 KiB) Viewed 12510 times
IMG_0916.JPG
IMG_0916.JPG (24.71 KiB) Viewed 12510 times
IMG_0915.JPG
IMG_0915.JPG (40.31 KiB) Viewed 12510 times
IMG_0911.JPG
IMG_0911.JPG (52.12 KiB) Viewed 12510 times
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Awesome! A bit ghetto, but hey, if it works... :D I like the spring between the servo and the handle. It's little things like that which I would probably never think of!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

rob wrote:Awesome! A bit ghetto, but hey, if it works... :D
I made the other camera mount and it DOES work. And I LOVE that phrase, "A bit ghetto, but hey, it works." It perfectly sums up my approach to R&D. :lol:

Someday I'll have a nice, good looking scanner. But I won't make it. I'll buy it from you, Rob. :P
LibrarianAid451
E-book readers owned: does Ipod 1st gen count?
Number of books owned: 223

Post by LibrarianAid451 »

first post here i just signed up so i am new.

i have never built a scanner but i plan to thats why i signed up, this one looks amazing i wish i knew how to put something like that together lol. mine will probably be just basic camera, cradle, glass to hold the book and whatever other parts i need. i hope that sometime you develop this to scan paperbacks, especially small ones. i have a lot of paperbacks as well as hardcovers. i probably wont ever have something like this though, but its just a thought, i know it would be kinda hard. the only problem i see with an automatic book scanner is how your supposed to know if all the pages were scanned. you would have to have a VERY accurate scanner that you have full trust in to be able to scan an entire book and be confident it turned out alright, which is one reason i might just stick with the easier to build method of manually turning the pages, although it may take me a LONG time.

how long should it take to scan 223 books? i started going through my books and looking at the last page number and typing it on my computer. i've got most of them but i still got some more to go, but the pages i have so far add up to 60217 pages, how long would it take to scan them all? is it even possible? i probably wont do much of the rest, maybe i will just pick a few more.

oh and one more thing, is there a place for introductions? the start here thread is locked.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

yep, feel free to introduce yourself in the hello thread.
LibrarianAid451
E-book readers owned: does Ipod 1st gen count?
Number of books owned: 223

Post by LibrarianAid451 »

oh ok thanks i guess i overlooked that :) thanks for the link