A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Fast Eddie

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by Fast Eddie »

Furthering cfmorrill's thought process, it should be possible to "tile" the drawings with reference marks and thus print them on letter-size paper at home, then make templates for the pieces out of masonite or similar material prior to sawing and routing the actual components. It would be easier transporting the templates that way...and perhaps the template size could be reduced even further on the symmetrical parts by dividing them in half and either producing two template halves or mirroring sides with a single template on a center line. I'm assuming that the only dimensions that could be considered critical are the bearing pockets and those other pocketed areas where the pieces mate together.

Shipping charges would be astronomical on a kit of parts, but maybe not so bad with a set of carefully constructed templates.
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

rob wrote:Here are the files for the DIY Book Scanner v0.9.1. The parts go together well.
As a data point, I've been quoted around $400 + materials to have this cut. ~1-2 hours for set up using the Illustrator files, 1+ hours run time at cost.
GaryK wrote:
rob wrote: Based on Dan's drawing, and after having put the linkage together, I've come to the same conclusion: the next version of the file should remove one set of bearing pockets from each Lifter Linkage Lever.
Thanks, I thought the same thing. I think that both the arms should have all the bearings and not the lifter. That would be one part less that needed machining on the back side.
Are you planning on revising the drawings with this change soon? Should I ask the machinist to make this change? Is this direction obvious enough, or should we cut the existing plans and figure it out from there?
GaryK wrote:When you assembled it did you have any trouble with the tray being 1" short due to the 1/2" pockets on the lift arms? If so what was your solution?
Is this an issue?
Tim

Post by Tim »

cfmorrill wrote:A couple of thoughts:

Am also interested in simply cutting it all out by hand. I do this sort of thing a lot. You need a full size drawing of the part/parts to be made. Then get yourself a can of spray adhesive. Spray the plywood only. That way if things don't work out when you gently lay the drawing down on the plywood, you can gently peel it back up again to have another go. I'd imagine you can email Daniel's .dxf file to kinkos/fedex, whatever the heck they call themselves now and get a set of drawings. I'd cut the drawings and a sheet of plywood up so you're only pasting a part or two down on smaller piece of plywood at a time. Most towns also have a place that will reproduce blueprints and you might get your prints from them.
I really like this idea. Paper templates are relatively cheap and easy to print and you're right, with a router and a hand, jig, or sabre saw you could do these cuts pretty easily. The only need for a cnc router really is mass production and no hand tool skills required at all.
I also suspect that when the design settles down a bit it would be easier to reproduce a couple of kits of parts and then loan them out to people to reproduce themselves by hand. You rent a kit of parts out for a couple of weeks at a few bucks and then get them back.
Maybe I'm missing something, but where's the advantage in shipping a parts kit vs having the drawings as paper templates?
The cameras and the computer are going to cost me and like much of america I'm busted.
The cameras are the priciest, but you can get by with one, and you can get pretty decent ones refurbished for cheap. Capable computers are nearly or totally free these days. Check around for local computer recycling groups or look for going out of business or university surplus sales.
vitorio

Post by vitorio »

Tim wrote:Maybe I'm missing something, but where's the advantage in shipping a parts kit vs having the drawings as paper templates?
People have varying levels of commitment and different reasons for interest.

If there was a pre-made unit I could go to a store and buy, even at twice the price of building it myself, and get high-quality results, suitable for OCR and reproduction, I would. I would not be participating here at all. I'd pay $1k for one, same as many people do for reprap and makerbot kits, perhaps even without the cameras. My interest is in making out-of-print works available, not in building anything, or in 3D scanning algorithms, or anything like that. Building a scanner and donating one to a hackerspace is something I will do, but it's entirely a means to an end.

There are people with CNC access for whom some Illustrator files are enough.

There are people who are comfortable with hand tools and basic woodworking for whom manual plans will be enough, either copying wood that's getting shipped around, or printing out paper plans.

There are people who are comfortable with assembling Ikea furniture for whom a kit, either pre-cut or cut as-ordered from Ponoko, will be enough.

There are people like me who would really, really prefer to buy one almost entirely pre-assembled, with a nice workflow and fancy software, all ready-to-go. :)

There are also people who will not be comfortable with the option they are forced to use, but choose it because it's all they can afford. Making each type of "kit" available with well-written, neophyte-ready documentation, supports each group, whether they are there by choice or by finances.
dpc

Post by dpc »

Maybe I'm missing something, but where's the advantage in shipping a parts kit vs having the drawings as paper templates?
If you have a router with a guide bushing and 1/4" spiral cut bit you can cut a template out of 1/4" plywood or masonite using the parts. Once you have the template made you can cut as many copies of the parts using the same guide bushing and bit very easily.
dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura »

Very nice work Dan. I am definitely going to cut this prototype this month and I am working in a 3D model.
So I will try to compile some suggestions made here. If it is nice I can share it here.
I will be back soon.
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."
Gentso
E-book readers owned: iphone, PC, Apple
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Gentso »

I agree that there are different levels of commitment. I don't even know where to begin to look for CRC time. Hopefully, there are bunch of people in or near atlanta that would like to do that. I probably fall between would love for a kit or plans to be available and put it together. Or a detailed list and diagrams. I can use power tools, but am no pro. I still have all my fingers and toes. I can build a fence and hopefully a deck. If need be maybe I can buy a router. And some how we can get printed templates so we can mark and cut up some wood and get cutting and putting together like the good ole lincoln log and tinker toys days.

I love Daniel's build, I see with the resessed lighting (in order to flip the scanner) and fixing the securing of the glass by either rope method (mentioned earlier) or between rubber washers or plastic wing bolts going into the glass (as I drew) possibly to secure it would work just fine.

I am sure you will find a better solution, but I wanted to see if my image might help and upload it.

I, like many, are very eager with this project. Thanks to Daniel and All the great minds working on this project!

Cheers.
Attachments
Ideas for holding the glass.  Forgive the crudeness.
Ideas for holding the glass. Forgive the crudeness.
ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 »

Hey is there anyone that knows the exact number of screws washers e.t.c that are used for this build and what sizes are needed. Does anybody have any sort of list they can post for those miscellaneous thing needed to build the scanner that can be used when walking in a hardware store as a read off list so far I know there are the skateboard bearings not sure how many exactly, it seems to be about 14- 1.65" 41.95mm button cap screws, an unverifiable number of 0.6" washers and it seems to be some more miscellaneous screws and a few other things I didn't catch from the pictures.

Also from what I see it seems th glass is 14" x 9 1/2" and 1/8" thick.

I know Dan has at lot going on right now but i know there are a few people who have started building their scanners. Is it possible for any of you who has the time to post a quick read off of these screws, nuts, washers e.t.c for a shopping list for the benefit of anyone that might need it. Anything aside from the glass and plywood so someone can write up a list and start searching their local hardwood stores and eBay.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

A few comments while I take a little break from my latest life-eating project:

1. Yes, we definitely need a list of fasteners. Sorry I didn't include one, I can count them up when I get back to LA in about a week. Either cfmorrill or GaryK told me I should include all Fastenal part numbers and I agree totally.

2. A paper template would be a good thing, but vitorio is 100% on about differing levels of commitment. Who wants to lead the paper template project? I will help as much as I can.

3. A wooden template would be easy - and I will fund a wooden template kit. My stuff is still in storage ( :cry: ahggghhhh) but I can fund and cut a template kit if someone will work with me on documenting how to use it.

I'm sorry that I'm sorry that I'm back here apologizing again. My goal is to get a place to live by next week and set up shop again so I can finish this out.
fitterman

Post by fitterman »

I've not had much time to get back to this of late, but I did post my feeble attempt at explaining how to assemble the scanner. The bad news is I don't have the parts, but I figured this outline and list of parts might help others start contributing their knowledge to flesh this out. http://diybookscanner.org/wiki/index.ph ... canner_kit

I did some research on fasteners and while I couldn't find the same parts I speculate Daniel used, I did find some suppliers of catches that might work well and are readily available. I also listed one dual-control brake lever that's available from Amazon.

Finally, I had to change some part names slightly. For example, "Side, Front" became "Front Side" because the sentences became rather unwieldy. I'm really hoping we can get the names on the plans and directions to match. I intend to start inserting pictures to match the directions, either from Daniel's set or from others who have access to their own parts.

Have at it and please be kind: as I said, I do not have a set of parts to assemble.