Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
aeturneus

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by aeturneus » 25 Dec 2011, 14:56

Not sure if I missed it, but was there a hardware list put together already for the current build? The read me contains a list of parts for the handle but refers to a hardware list for other parts.

aeturneus

Post by aeturneus » 25 Dec 2011, 16:37

aeturneus wrote:Not sure if I missed it, but was there a hardware list put together already for the current build? The read me contains a list of parts for the handle but refers to a hardware list for other parts.
Oh, and Merry Christmas DIYBookScanner.org!

ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 » 25 Dec 2011, 20:58

aeturneus wrote:Not sure if I missed it, but was there a hardware list put together already for the current build? The read me contains a list of parts for the handle but refers to a hardware list for other parts.

I think the closest thing to a list so far is the PDF dbmoura put out I believe it's on the 12th page up top it has sizes and measurements for all the fasteners that need to be used but I think he said he will be revising it and the fasteners can be ordered off of Fastenal.com for GaryK's build I believe instead of socket cap screws he used carriage bolts instead which seem to be easier to find in hardware stores

aeturneus

Post by aeturneus » 26 Dec 2011, 00:29

Thanks, that's really helpful. Was there ever a list of fastenal part numbers or something to go off for GaryK's build? Otherwise I will just use DBMoura's.

Also still struggling with a good source for glass/plexi. A few framing places I talked to quoted me hundreds of dollars for plexi which they could only provide in museum-quality grades. Is glass the way to go?

ateeq85

Post by ateeq85 » 26 Dec 2011, 01:06

GaryK never put any fastener numbers out however go to the topic "red shift.." under the hardware section cfmorrill is working off of GaryKs build and seems to have fasteners In his using carriage bolts, he seems to have technical knolwedge of building things and is very helpful when asked a question.

On fastenel's site it's set up so you can select the dimater and size and finish of the fasteners so you can just look at GaryKs PDF and select the measurements I beleive a list I asked GaryK about is on page 14 as well as his response under it ro my question about it.

There are alot of discussions on here discussing plexi vs glass try to search it using the search feature quotes I have gotten for glass has been no more then $8. I'm a noob to this myself so I am only responding based on the large amount of questions I ask and the tedious research I had to do so far to get the little bit i managed to learn. Hopefully this has been some help.

ateeq85

Post by ateeq85 » 26 Dec 2011, 03:52

ateeq85 wrote:just look at GaryKs PDF and select the measurements I beleive a list I asked GaryK about is on page 14 as well as his response under it ro my question about
What I meant to write was "...just look at dbmoura's PDF and select the measurements I believe a list I asked dbmoura about is on page 14 as well as his response to my question.

ateeq85

Post by ateeq85 » 28 Dec 2011, 00:19

Dan is there anyway you can release the posts relating to GaryK's handle and trigger available for download like yo did with his other posts. It's the first topic that is deleted on the hardware topocs page with no title . It had videos of his trigger in action as well as a few pictures of it and I think he may have mentioned screws for it he never released any posts after finishing it but what he posted is alot to work with.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 28 Dec 2011, 00:51

Hmm, I can't find the pictures in our backups. Might be on my other machine. Here are the Google Cache links:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s ... clnk&gl=us

Looks like some of the edits are now cached. Capture what you can.

freewheeling
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Post by freewheeling » 30 Dec 2011, 02:10

I'm interested in building a book scanner, but have no idea where to get the use of a cnc router. Is this something you could have done at Lowe's by just taking in the data for the cuts, or do you have to know someone with a woodworking shop? Also, is it a good idea to have some holes drilled and countersunk at the same time? It's been a long time since I even worked with a table saw. The upfront blurb says that cnc routers are available everywhere, but how relative is "everywhere"?

cfmorrill
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cfmorrill » 30 Dec 2011, 07:43

For plexiglass suggest you go to a glass place. Bought mine this week for $12.

Charles