A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by ateeq85 »

What was the original use for the nylon straps you used? nylon straps have a lot of different uses and I wanted an idea in what aile to look I would like to pick some up and try this out.

I see you have a washer and screw in the camera arm on the outside what is the purpose of this. I probably could use something like this to help lock in my arms a bit more since the force of the washer and screw will force them to lock in a bit more so my glass can move in the slots better. It will be a problem detaching them but that problem is already there for me.
dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura »

For the spacer I did holes at the top end and put the inside nut, making house for the 1/4" screw. The washer was wider then the gap for the spacer to hold. I also have adjusted the spacer to be not loose but easy for disassembling.
spacer with holes at the top end
spacer with holes at the top end
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."
cfmorrill
Number of books owned: 0

Post by cfmorrill »

What a lot of great progress everyone! I've had to take a break on my own effort. It's basically finished and now jet black (with a few red accents) but am currently traveling. Hope to visit NextFab studio in Philadelphia this weekend.

I should be able to start the great scanning/software learning curve next week. I've downloaded scan tailor and have purchased a copy of acrobat. Will see how the combination works...

Cheers Charles
vagabond
E-book readers owned: Standard Build
Number of books owned: 100

Post by vagabond »

I don't know much about cnc machines, or the files needed to run them. I found a guy willing to cut a 4x8 3/4" plywood sheet for me on his shopbot. If I give him the files in the first post (the .zip updated 12/23/2011), is that all he would need? Do the files include the information about the cuts, whether they are inside cuts, outside, cutter-width, etc .. as shown in this diagram: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/downloa ... &mode=view .

If the files posted are not complete enough to just hand over to the cnc guy, I would appreciate some help in preparing to get the wood cnc'd. Do I need to give the cnc guy a copy of the CAM guidelines file: http://diybookscanner.org/forum/downloa ... &mode=view ? If so, is there an updated version? Help me out cnc guru's!

Btw, I just completed a standard build and it works great. It's just that it's a bit too heavy, and since my construction alignment wasn't the greatest in the world - the platten slide mechanism isn't smooth - to the extent that it tires me to operate it, and my wife is unable to make use of it. This new design looks great, and I want to put it together tomorrow morning :D I told the cnc guy I would come by at 9am .. soo .. help! :D
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Those are the correct files for the latest version. They do not include dbmoura's most recent changes, but he hasn't uploaded or tested them on a CNC - use the existing files and your machine will be just fine. In that file are .CRVs, which IIRC work with the shopbot software. Your operator will have to generate toolpaths from the CRVs. If he does, it would be much appreciated if you would share back the converted shopbot-ready files.

Keep us informed.
vagabond
E-book readers owned: Standard Build
Number of books owned: 100

Post by vagabond »

I'm sorry, but I will not be able to get the parts cnc'd. I was under the impression that there would be a total of a dozen or so parts, and that's what I told the operator over the phone. He said it would cost around $20-30. I emailed him the files, and on closer inspection he said that a more accurate estimate would be $100-150 due to the time it will take. Soooo, $150 in cnc costs + $50 in plywood + miscellaneous is too steep for me right now, given that I have a perfectly working standard build :) . I have some people who are interested in this, and if it works out, maybe I'll make one for myself at that point in time as well. SIgh, oh well ....
jck57

Post by jck57 »

A cheap way to semi-automate this design:

Use a 12VDC windshield wiper motor http://monsterguts.com/index.php?act=vi ... roductId=4 with a crank arm half the length of the maximum travel of the scanner carriage. Make a connecting rod out of telescoping pipe and a compression spring. Fire the cameras with 12VDC solenoids http://www.jameco.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... 1919203_-1turned on by a microswitch which is tripped by the wiper crank when it's fully extended. Use a footswitch as a deadman switch so that if anything goes awry the whole thing will immediately stop when you take your foot off the switch. The spring loaded connecting rod accounts for varying thicknesses of books and is an extra measure of safety since the force on books or body parts is limited thereby. The side of the scanner with the pulldown handle is where you mount the motor. You scan from the open side.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, between $120 and $200 seems to be the going rate everywhere. I agree, if you have a Standard you are happy with, you are doing fine. Now, on the other hand, you might be able to sell your standard for $200 in the Agora section and make your CNC job happen.
ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 »

Are there any Sugesstions anyone has on mounting LCD screens on this build it seems 2 would go great on each side of the front panel it is wide enough and an ideal location to look at when scanning. This seems to be something needed for this build even if a blackout curtain is not being used since it will aid in scanning faster. It would allow you to keep an eye out for anything going wrong while scanning like the book sliding or going off center e.t.c. and even if the picture taken came out correctly. There's is nothing more frustrating then scanning 100+ pages and then realizing the glass hasn't pressed them properly,or they went off center, or the camera just didnt take a good picture so you have to do them all over again.

I would guess somewhere around 6"-7" is the best size but what type of screen would it need to be so it can be drilled by way of a bracket.a car seat monitor or rear vie mirror monitor or a security monitor? I have seen screens online but the issue Is how will they be mounted since being mounted on the front panel is the best location.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I would mount them on the top, by the lights. Most small LCDs are intended for car use, and they come with small stands that could easily be screwed to the top of the front piece. Not sure if it would affect paperback mode.

I'm thinking something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/5x3-5-TFT-LCD-r ... 3f096aa4fc

Do you have any pics of your build?