Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by markvdb » 28 Sep 2012, 14:54

Hi Roger,
rogerhyam wrote:Hi,

I am talking to a guy with a cnc machine about cutting the plans for me here is Edinburgh, Scotland. The birch plywood looks a little expensive and he suggested we might use MDF. Has anyone built this with MDF? Would it be possible? Would it be much heavier?
I wouldn't try MDF if I were you. You've noticed one minor part of the problem already: much higher weight. Another one, a more important one would be screwing into MDF. If you've ever worked with high quality baltic birch plywood, you'll notice it won't easily split.

MDF is also quite soft. It will dent, and you will have big difficulties fitting bearings. Then you're going to put mechanical stress on your MDF parts.

There's lots of ways to be creative on a low budget, but replacing baltic birch plywood with MDF is not it for this design.
Also I was wondering whether you would consider doing a kit without the wood - just all the bits and lamp - for export. It would save me finding them all locally.
At least at http://diybookscanner.eu , we don't do partial kits. I should be careful when speaking for someone else, but I'm quite certain that the same applies for Daniel's offer.

Mark
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter

rogerhyam

Post by rogerhyam » 28 Sep 2012, 18:42

I hadn't seen the diybookscanner.eu kit when I posted my question. It looks like it would actually be most sensible to buy that kit rather than getting the cutting done myself.

I just need to work out some other bits.

Many thanks,

Roger

schaferj
E-book readers owned: kindle, ipad, win8
Number of books owned: 10000

Post by schaferj » 20 Nov 2012, 02:25

Would an ebony stain work as well as black paint? http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/
thanks,
joseph

jck57

Post by jck57 » 20 Nov 2012, 18:18

schaferj wrote:Would an ebony stain work as well as black paint? http://www.minwax.com/wood-products/stains-color-guide/
thanks,
joseph
Yeah and ebonizing should work too. Google "vinegar and iron nail ebonizing." I tried some printer ink as a stain and that looked pretty good!

yoeri
E-book readers owned: htc
Number of books owned: 10

Post by yoeri » 23 Dec 2012, 09:32

wasn't there someone on here who was selling it in europe?
someone from the neteherlands i guessed.

Gentso
E-book readers owned: iphone, PC, Apple
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Gentso » 03 Feb 2013, 11:55

I am having problems with the triggering. It is not smooth and consistent. The release and forward movement is sticky. I am using 2 cannon a2200s. The tension on the cables is there by mini clamps but doesn't seem right. I don't know if its bad cables or what. I do like Mellow Yellows switch mechanism. How do i get the switch mechanisms to work? Is there any way anyone can help to get this working?

Very Much appreciated!!! :) :) :)
Thanks.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 05 Feb 2013, 01:11

Any chance you could post a pic of your setup? In specific, the place where the cables attach to the bike brake and the triggers by the cameras?

Gentso
E-book readers owned: iphone, PC, Apple
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Gentso » 16 Feb 2013, 10:40

Here are some pics. The bike cables don't stay snug in the handles. I am using home depot clamps to hold the cables and add some tension. I do have washers on both sides of the triggers as well so that they can move. I am using mini-bungies for the tension as at the trigger fingers. I think it might be more of a problem with the cables and their tension not being appropriate and inconsistent. I am wondering how did Mellow do the momentary switch. And possibly I need new brake cables.

I would love to get a momentary switch working as well as the cables, but don't know where to begin.

Thanks so much for all your help.
Attachments
IMG_1015.JPG
IMG_1014.JPG
IMG_1013.JPG
IMG_1011.JPG
IMG_1012.JPG
IMG_1010.JPG
IMG_1009.JPG
IMG_1007.JPG
IMG_1006.JPG

PocketLibrarian

Post by PocketLibrarian » 08 Mar 2013, 20:16

IMG_2696.JPG
Keystoning and Light showing camera mounted under the mount bar to capture down into the gutter
My apologies if this is in the wrong thread, please feel free to move.
I have been having a great time with this scanner but am trying to resolve a keystoning and camera mounting issue.

1. It seems that to capture the gutter side of the book I need to wedge my camera downward (Canon IS590) (with the camera mounted on top of the mount bar).

2. Keystoning is definitely strong when mounting the camera on the underside of the mount bar.

3. What is the best way to mount my camera to optimize the camera image?

4. Lighting... I keep getting the LED light reflecting in the upper part of the images (left and right). I suspect it has to do with my camera mounting... :-D

What am I missing or doing wrong?
TIA!

Oh, the shipping response was so incredibly fast! Had this put together in 1 day (painted all parts, both sides before assembly).
Next on my todo list is re-create fully automated scanner by jck57 aka Monson's Full Auto Scanner Build #5
Then to create a briefcase sized portable scanner!!

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 08 Mar 2013, 20:19

Hmm, that seems unusual. You're right that the specular reflection of the light and the keystoning are due to your camera placement. So, with your A590IS mounted on the top of the bar, and zoomed all the way out, you still have the same problem?