A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

PocketLibrarian

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by PocketLibrarian »

On top of mount bar zoomed out
On top of mount bar zoomed out
I am trying to zoom in on the smaller books to optimize the image capture but gutter (along with part of source) is lost.
Here is the image with camera on top and zoomed out...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah, that's what I see (minus tilt) on my unit with an A590IS. You may only be able to zoom a bit before you lose the gutter.

Alternately, you can cut another set of slots below the ones where the camera supports bolt in - exactly below were the current ones are and at the same angle. Or, if that seems hard, cut out the middle of your current camera support and screw another piece of wood on the underside to drop the camera.
scanster
Number of books owned: 0

Post by scanster »

I have the same issue with the LED light appearing at the edge of the glass on both sides. I had the glass cut to 10x14 and also have a version with 11x14 size. In the 11x14 the reflection is worse. I think the light placement may have been designed with a 9x14 glass size in mind. The extra inch or two inches introduce the reflection of the light for some reason. If anyone has any suggestions, I would really appreciate it. The 11x14 size would be ideal but so far I haven't been able to find an optimal lighting method.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

The light is placed where it is because it was the best compromise between "paperback mode" and the glare problem you're talking about. Try raising the LED up and the problem will go away.
scanster

Post by scanster »

Thanks for the response - that makes sense. Overall the device is solid and works very well! Great job! I am still catching up on the forum content. Was there ever though/effort put into creating a box (that would block all surrounding light) and only allow light from above onto the glass? I am attaching a picture of something I have been experimenting with. What I like about this "box" is that the inside is the only surface that needs to be non-reflective black. I would raise the light to sit at the top of the box - to address the issue mentioned earlier with larger glass (11x14).
Experimenting with box to insulate from all surrounding lights and reflections.
Experimenting with box to insulate from all surrounding lights and reflections.
I know I am still new to this effort but it seems the top has too much open to surrounding variations. My hypothesis is that closing all sides and only leaving enough for the operator to see that the book is sitting nicely against glass may be a good idea. Appreciate all inputs.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

In general, it's best to cover a scanner completely to prevent any glare issues. Personally, I scan in the dark, but most book scanners are covered, usually with a cloth cover.

I've thought about having some made, but I don't know if people would be interested in the increased cost.

I am working on a few ideas relating to re-doing the light support on the scanner. It's a lot of wood just to hold up the LED. Maybe a box is the right answer.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Where did you get that handle?
scanster

Post by scanster »

I am also realizing that scanning in the dark works better but unfortunately that will not be an option for me once the project I am starting takes on some speed (I'll post about it in a separate build thread). I've seen the black covers in the past but can't say I like them. The added cost would also be an unnecessary burden. I agree with you about the light/camera support needing a bit more thought / optimization even though it's already very good. The back and the sides being open saves wood (single sheet of plywood) but doesn't contribute to the quality of the output (at least not that I can figure out so far) - so I am thinking of ways to close it nicely without having to cut a whole new light-box. Also if you notice in the picture, I cut the little ears off on the bottom side as wider books were getting stuck there (on the way up).

I got the handle off of an old hose reel (must give you 5 stars for creativity with the pipe and it was very functional). Maybe something like this http://goo.gl/3cN52 can be found in an inexpensive form.

My thought is to fix the dimensions of the book cradle to the exact size of the glass (for example 11x14 - but need to figure out the light height and strength for this - 10w might be low). Then lay a box on top of the glass that leaves no room for light except from the top. That would leave the area around the book open by the thickness of the book from under (may be able to address that with foam). Just thoughts.... once I experiment, I will certainly post my results if successful.
Gothiczartan84
Number of books owned: 800

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

will there be another model of DIY book scanner that you can scan a page one at a time? I'm thinking about a very simple book scanner just scan one page at a time. Are there any one who don't know how to build a book scanner or didn't have much experience? I never build a book scanner before. PM me.
arhorton

Post by arhorton »

Does anyone know if there are dimensioned drawings for the wooden scanner parts? I would like to develop a 3D cad model of the scanner and they would be very helpful.