A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Crispy
Number of books owned: 1500

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by Crispy »

Hi Jonathon, thanks for this -- I've just placed my order for a kit!
sskarwa74
Number of books owned: 0

Post by sskarwa74 »

Respected Sir,

I am very much impressed by DIY book Scanner design and OpenSource Software you provide at cheaper cost. I want to buy this to retain our historical old book records scanned. Can you please do provide whom I nee d to contact and process for the same?

with regards
Sanjay Karwa
nafraf

Post by nafraf »

geneb
E-book readers owned: Kindle, android tablets..

Post by geneb »

I'm starting an Archivist build this weekend - or at least cutting the parts out. :)

Does the glass still require a 50 degree bevel on the "mating" edges?

tnx.

g.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

Hi. Just FYI, the Archivist bookscanner was a successor design to the one this thread is about. If you want to make an Archivist book scanner, head to:

http://diybookscanner.org/archivist

In the discussion on glass there, it mentions several options including grinding the panes to a 50 degree miter, using pencil edges, or just using normal sanded edges and accepting that the glass won't mesh perfectly. If you want, I'd be happy to provide more advice on how to build your scanner. Just send me an email: help at tenrec dot builders

I am also still grinding glass that is appropriate for use with an Archivist scanner. However, I know that the glass that I grind is not compatible with the scanner described in this thread (it would be the wrong size), and I don't know the details of the glass needed by this scanner.

-Jonathon Duerig
geneb

Post by geneb »

Thanks for the reply Jonathon. Unfortunately, I figured out that I'd "barked up the wrong scanner" a little late in the process. :)

It will work out though - 18mm Baltic Birch is ab$urd where I live, so it worked out that I could use the Hackerspace scanner design listed in this thread and the vaguely 3/4" BORG* plywood that I had on hand.

If the 50 degree bevel is appropriate for the Hackerspace scanner, I'll have that grind done when I purchase my glass - I'll have them grind the edge as well so I don't have to worry about having a combination scanner/guillotine. ;) I want to make the glass a bit more easily adjustable so that I can open a gap between them that would fit coil bound or spiral bound books.

I couldn't seem to find an actual product name or source for the LED lamp used here, so I'm going to try a pair of 90W LED flood lights that I picked up from the BORG* for a different project. Is a diffuser recommended? (If you know where I can get my hands on the LED listed for the Hackerspace scanner, please let me know!)

Here's my progress so far: https://imgur.com/7eAX73m

I've also taken some video of the cutting process that will be part of one or more videos showing my building process.

tnx!

g.
* BORG = Big Orange Retail Giant, aka "Home Depot" :D
geneb

Post by geneb »

duerig, can you please point me to the name/part# of the LED lamp used for this project? That information seems to be well hidden.

Thanks.

g.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

The light used in the original hackerspace scanner was the 10W LED floodlight from ebay. I can't really recommend it very highly now that I know about the SORAAs described in the Archivist documentation, but they did work for a lot of projects and they should fit in the lighting bracket of your hackerspace model. They're also cheeeeeeeeaaaap. Of course, the hackerspace scanner is getting pretty old, so something might have changed about the floodlight in the intervening ~7 years.

I'm also not recommending that specific seller - you'll see there are hundreds of sellers offering these sorts of lights. Good luck!
geneb

Post by geneb »

Thanks for the link, it's a huge help.

I've got some 95W LED lamps designed for outdoor fixtures - would something like that shining through the square hole work similarly? Is the distance from the light source to the platen critical?

thanks for the fast reply!
[edit]
I found a similar unit on Amazon that's the same size: https://www.amazon.com/GLW-Waterproof-D ... oding=UTF8

g.
geneb

Post by geneb »

Done!
https://imgur.com/gppWvbE

The Amazon lamp linked above works great, but don't get the bright white one - there's a TON of blue light in the LED. I get much better results from the "warm white" version.

g.