A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:51, edited 1 time in total.
qfe0
Number of books owned: 0

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by qfe0 »

Since I'm drowning in paper back books, I'm thinking I'm going to prioritize building the lighting and capture portions of the scanner. But from looking at the CorelDraw files and watching the video, I couldn't tell how they were fastened together. Are they just friction fitted? Glued? Or are there some wood screws or something I didn't notice? As soon as I get a chance I'm going to try cutting out the pieces and try to put it together, but I was a little concerned about the stability of those two portions on their own.

Doug
fitterman

Post by fitterman »

A metric question I'm hoping someone with some knowledge can answer. The suggestion of using rope to hold the glass in place sounds great to me. The channel is 1/4 inch (6.35mm). It seems like 3mm glass is the closest fit to the 1/8-inch glass. Is that readily available or is that an unusual thickness? It appears 3mm rope is readily available from what I can see on the internet.

Thanks.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

GaryK wrote: First, aren't one of the sets of bearings redundant where the "Lifter Linkage Lever" and "Lifter Linkage for Cradle" attach.
I count 22 bearings used in the drawings. Would it work to replace the bearings from one of the parts with a smaller through hole, or am I missing something?
That would require only 18 bearings.
Sorry, I've been all over the place lately, I know you asked this before. I think I understand the question - does this graphic help?
DIY Book Scanner Kit _DSC5224.jpg
DIY Book Scanner Kit _DSC5224.jpg (80.89 KiB) Viewed 7522 times
Looking at it now, the pockets are probably totally unnecessary.

Tonight, I have a meeting at a friend's house, we are going to completely photograph my existing model and then take it apart and photograph every part and fastener. I haven't been able to do this because I have intermittent access to my scanner (and I'm living out of my truck), but hopefully tonight it will get done. Tomorrow, I'm off to Utah to do some sekrit work that I can't talk much about, so I'll have limited access to the machine until next week.

It's been extraordinarily difficult to find affordable workshop space in LA without a ridiculous commute, if anyone has suggestions I'd be interested in getting them via email or PM. Looking in the Glendale/Burbank area all the way to Downtown.
le.gentleman

Post by le.gentleman »

Congratulations Dan! That's fantastic! I look forward to buying a kit but it is also good to know that there will be one available at any hackerspace especially when away from home.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

My friend Sumin let me use her living room this evening (thanks, Sumin!). I took pictures of every part of the scanner, every bolt, etc.

The pics are going here:
http://diybookscanner.org/kit/pics/each_part/

UPDATE: If you don't want to browse that directory, here isa zip file with all pics of the scanner.

These pics are part of the documentation, so they fall under the Open Hardware license. Additionally, I am relinquishing copyright on them. So they are Public Domain. I encourage you to use them, annotate them, and post the useful ones back here in the thread.
ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Post by ateeq85 »

Hey Dan where did you get the led floodlight from it seems yours actual has a male plug on it I bought one recently from eBay but when I got it it had a very short cord and just the three wires hanging out. Also I know you said before that the handle the brake lever was connected to was a kids bmx seatpost I have been looking around online but have not been able to locate one is this a piece you already had lying around or did you buy it somewhere.

Quick question would it be a easy fix to the issue of the brake lever hitting the scanner by putting some kind of grip handle on the seatpost to give it a tighter fit so it won't move
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

the.traveller
E-book readers owned: Samsung Tab S
Number of books owned: 800

Post by the.traveller »

vitorio wrote:
the.traveller wrote:To everyone who is interested in joining with others. First step is to complete your member profile. Put your world location into your profile it will be easier to contact each other.

Something like; City, State, Country

In this way sharing costs will be easier.
It doesn't look like the member search lets you search the location field. Maybe that's a disabled feature that can be enabled?
Postby rob » Yesterday, 01:57

Sorry, I haven't found a way to search based on location. The best you can do is go to the Members link in the upper right, then click on the Location heading, which will order users based on location. Not the best, but it's something...
Searching the way Rob suggests you will find locations around page 54

Daniel provided the way to search by Google in another post.
There are a few members from that area - try this search:

http://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C1CHK ... etherlands
So for my country one would key in:

site:diybookscanner.org netherlands
or
site:diybookscanner.org rotterdam, netherlands

So it will only work if everybody fills in his location.
Last edited by the.traveller on 18 Oct 2011, 04:55, edited 1 time in total.