A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ateeq85
E-book readers owned: IPad 2
Number of books owned: 60

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by ateeq85 »

a note about my progress on this build

i did a 260 page book in about 18-20 minutes regular pace not rushed ( although a bit irritated i had to do the same book for the 3rd time). That includes me having ti adjust the book a few times for the platen to go in the center of the book.

also i found a temporary solution for the soine support in this build that helped in scanning as the book shifts a bungee cord in the middle where there were talks for a rod to go just lock it around. Typically the book has three positions when scanning it shifts to the left, the right, or is centered the bungee cord allows you to push it to the left if it needs be cenered that may and will hold it there or to the right and is there in the center if you need to place it there.
wildpig953
E-book readers owned: iPhone
Number of books owned: 20

Post by wildpig953 »

Hi all
I have just discovered this awesome site and really like the the work being done.

I know it has been asked earlier in this thread, but I didn't see an answer to the question.

Sorry if it has been answered already.

I have five books that I am desperate to digitize, the approx page size is 13" X 10.5".
I like this design and want to modify to suit the bigger books.

I'm thinking all I need to change in the design is the width of the machine, leaving the front and back section the same, lengthen the cross pieces the lifting arms reposition the camera mounts and bigger pieces of glass.

Am I on the right track or should I scale everything up(as previously asked)?

Thanks in advance
W
dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura »

Issues a understand to be focuses of attention. Other users are living and reporting experiences that really helps.
- For a larger scanner I would recommend a careful look at the interference between book volume and back of the Platen. As the arm is lifted, the course of a big book corners can touch the back lower borders of the platen, even if the corners of the Cradle are cut 45º. The arm has the tracks for the cradle centered with the vertical arm, for better balance.
- The distance of the arm bar and how it is helping to lift the book weight is an issue to be measured and considered. It can exceed weighting instead of easing the work.
- A larger area demands lighting being tested for regular range in different areas of the pages.

I have tested a cover for the scanner and now it is being sewed. The picture bellow is for a first reference before a picture of the real thing.
cover
cover
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

The link on at the top of this thread has been updated to correct those two flipped fixtures, and to include AI and DXF artwork files for 4x4 sheets.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

dbmoura, do you use Google Sketchup Pro? Your drawings are really good! I wish I had your ability in Sketchup :/
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura »

cradle1.skp
(88.11 KiB) Downloaded 364 times
I am using the free version of sketcup 8, also called Sketchup Pro 8 (expired).
I draw each component per file (ex: cradle1.skp) and join a group of them to form a part (ex: cradle.skp) and finally I integrate parts (ex: main.skp). If I modify a specific component, I RELOAD it in the part file and them RELOAD the last in the main file.
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Can anyone point me to the latest list of fasteners for this build? I'm not around my desktop to search for it.
ateeq85

Post by ateeq85 »

here is the progress of my build so far i am thinking of getting another one cut out from a different place due to the issues i had with locking the peices in all the way which is affecting everything from my glass placement which affects my scanning to the leveling of my cameras
Attachments
DSCF5002.JPG
DSCF5016.JPG
DSCF5015.JPG
DSCF5011.JPG
DSCF5009.JPG
DSCF5006.JPG
DSCF5002.JPG
DSCF5017.JPG
ateeq85

Post by ateeq85 »

i had a cut out of both light module for the GaryK version i put in 2 led 8w bulbs i got off ebay for a great deal $25.00 and i put them in some reflectors i purchased from home depot about $6.00 a piece for my trigger i combined what cfmorrill did with a solution of my own a pinch bolt used for locking a bike brake cable in place using a skateboard bearing instead of a washer to press against the wire as most of these bolts don't have threading all the way down to the actual hole the wire goes through so the bearing is wide enough to wrap around and is squeezed in place with the nut it came with.

for my brake i used a carriage colt but a thraeded rod would have been better placing a washer and bolt on both ends to keep in place but you cant find 10' rods in a store so i used the carriage bolt and as cfmorrill did i put the bike brake directly in the hole where the bearing would have went.

i find it better to keep the brake in the down position when scanning u just have your palm on the cushion then you just have to squeeze when its up its a bit akward.

i also got some 3.5" screens off ebay they are temporarily in place with bungee cords i'm still waiting on the av cables for the cameras i ordered.

i saw Dan placed foam on his cradle in his pic i don't know why he did it but i will use something sImillar to this to place on the cradle so for small books it will help to press them against the glass as well as big books when a portion of it may not be pressing. Foam is perfect as it will compress to the the amount needed i was thinking maybe 1" thick in the same place Dan placed his.
mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow »

Feel free to update the Shopping List for this build here:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... FVDaF9YMGc