A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hi all,

Here is the latest artwork.

Assembly instructions Covers all hardware construction.

Shopping list for hardware you'll need.[/size]

Here is a directory with a bunch of pics of an assembled unit. Many more pics to come!

Here's a video that answers most technical questions about the scanner. Sorry about the length and my speech; I haven't slept in a few days. I will follow up with videos and writing about the broader idea here. For now, check out my speech at the Open Hardware Summit as well as this brief piece from the BBC. This thread also has some discussion and questions. Please, remember that this is not a final product but a work in progress!

FAQ:
1. When will the design files be available?
1A. Now.

2. How much will a kit cost?
2A. See the store here.

3. When can you send me one?
3A. Immediately.

4. What size books can it scan?
4A. 12"x9"x3" maximum. Works best at sizes smaller than that.

5. What cameras work best?
5A. That is a complicated question determined by your budget and what you plan to scan. I plan to "endorse" three models of cameras - low, medium, and high-end - so that people can make this decision on their own. For now, a safe bet is the A2200 or A1400 by Canon. Also check this document: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc ... JdlE#gid=0 - And this one, about Powershots.

The files:
These files are Open Hardware (OSHW 1.0). They contain notes for CAM as well as general build notes. I am pasting the build notes here for people who don't want to download the files:
THIS DIY BOOK SCANNER IS DESIGNED TO BE CUT FROM A
SINGLE SHEET OF PLYWOOD ON A 4X8 FOOT CNC ROUTER.
WHEN DISASSEMBLED, IT WILL FIT IN CHECKED LUGGAGE
FOR TRANSPORT. THE MAXIMUM BOOK SIZE THAT IT WILL
ACCOMMODATE IS 12X9X3 INCHES.

THE WOOD SHOULD BE .72 INCHES THICK, OR
ADJUSTMENTS SHOULD BE MADE TO SLOTS
TO ACCOMMODATE DIFFERENT THICKNESSES.
OTHER MINOR ADJUSTMENTS MAY BE NECESSARY.
PROTOTYPING WAS DONE WITH ARAUCOPLY
4X8 23/32 S2S. THE BARCODE ON THE BOARD
READS 85744200073, AND WAS PURCHASED AT
HOME DEPOT.

MOST 3/4 INCH AND 23/32 INCH PLYWOOD IS ACTUALLY
.72 INCHES; TAKE A CALIPER TO THE LUMBERYARD
TO CONFIRM.

THE PROTOTYPES WERE DESIGNED ON A
CNCROUTERPARTS.COM CRP4896 OPEN SOURCE
CNC ROUTER.

MOST FASTENERS ARE 3/16 INCH BUTTON CAP SCREWS
FROM FASTENAL; PART NUMBERS WILL FOLLOW.

ALL BEARING POCKETS ARE DESIGNED TO BE PRESS-FIT
FOR SKATEBOARD BEARINGS. THE BEARINGS WILL
PORTRUDE SLIGHTLY; THIS IS NORMAL AND BOLT TENSION
WILL HELP BRING THEM IN.
I used two applications to author these files. Corel Draw X4 and Vcarve Pro. I would like to move these files into an open-source environment like Inkscape or Heeks CAD. Any help with that would be most welcome.

All of these things will improve with time.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by daniel_reetz »

I sent a message to people who have subscribed to the notification mailinglist on the front page. It reads like this:
I'm very pleased to say that I have some very beta-quality files and materials up here:

http://diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=1192

I will be answering any questions on the forum. As I am currently traveling, I will not be answering questions via email. I do have hundreds of pictures and several videos that will go online shortly.

The post is a work in progress, and is very hardware-focused at the moment. I am currently without a workshop, so this project will proceed as follows:

1. Community development. I have laid the groundwork, now the testers and tinkerers need to take over and help with the details. I am particularly looking for people with access to large CNC routers, who can help share the prototyping load. At all stages I ask for your understanding: this is a beta, it needs detail work.

2. Bounties. I will offer cut copies of the revised scanner design in exchange for software and hardware development.

3. Funding and production (this will be more clear after 1 and 2 are complete). End goal- one of these in every community, starting with the world's hackerspaces.

Best, hope to see you on the forums.
Daniel Reetz
ycpdan
E-book readers owned: iRex / Kindle DX/ Nook
Number of books owned: 300

Post by ycpdan »

It is a thing of beauty! Saw at the Maker Faire, now I understand how much more amazing it is!
I'm not a super technical person, but glad to help out in other ways.
Looking forward to more of the details.
What size are the glass platens?
tosborn

Post by tosborn »

Daniel:

Could you comment on the potential for camera adjustment in this design. For example, it appears that camera height isn't adjustable.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Doesn't need to have adjustable height cameras -- the cameras are fixed with respect to the platen, which greatly simplifies adjustments.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
rob

Post by rob »

I'll be attempting to cut the file this weekend on the ShopBot at NextFab Studio in Philadelphia, so we'll get some early feedback. I'll be using the source Corel file, breaking it into two 4'x4' files. I'll post those files as an alternative once I get it working.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
GaryK

Post by GaryK »

Last edited by GaryK on 17 Dec 2011, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.
rob

Post by rob »

8:50: Did... did you... you didn't just compare my basement to Haiti, did you? :lol:
tosborn

Post by tosborn »

Rob:

In terms of camera height adjustment I was just thinking in terms of a 12"x9" book versus a 6"x4" book. For the smaller book, wouldn't it be advantageous to be be able to lower the height of the camera so that you could zoom in more capturing the text at a higher resolution?

Tim
rob

Post by rob »

No, the optical zoom of the camera is enough to zoom in on smaller pages without losing any detail. If you have to use digital (i.e. fake) zoom to get a full image, your book is probably too small for the scanner.