A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

ngfrazier
Number of books owned: 0

Re: A DIY Book Scanner In Every Hackerspace /DIY Kit

Post by ngfrazier »

Hi Fellas,

I recently purchased a bookscanner kit. I'm currently staining it satin black with Polyshades (Hard to use without thinning it down with paint thinner). I'll post some pics later on.

My question is what should I do for manual camera triggering? I purchased the bike cables and handle as recommended on the parts list, but I'm not sure where to go from there.... Can anyone offer some guidance? Is there a current revised model for triggering? Any downloadable instructions?

Also, are most people happy with the 10 watt LED? Any of you guys using more wattage?

Thanks!
scanster
Number of books owned: 0

Post by scanster »

For me a plain USB keyboard hacked to work as a trigger works well but it's not 100% bug free yet. I have also tried a foot pedal but both are using CHDK and ptpcam - documented here: https://github.com/markvdb/diybookscann ... -GNU-Linux Once I get it closer to bug free operation, I'll share with everyone. The issue is in ptpcam and chdk - cameras sometimes do not respond correctly. Regarding the light, I also experimented with a brighter light but came to conclusion that camera (in my case A1100) was sensitive enough to capture good enough pictures even with supplied light. I had to raise the light to move it off the edge of the page and hence was thinking of a brighter light but so far it seems fine.
kgonisz73
E-book readers owned: Kobo Touch
Number of books owned: 100

Post by kgonisz73 »

Hello everyone !

I'm new to this forum and I would like to congratulate to designers of book scanner - fantastic job !

I would like to build my own book scanner however I searched through the forum but I can't find design files to cut shapes in wood. Could you kindly share design (production) files, please ? (if possible in open format - dxf or something else with cutting path)

Greetings !

Chris

Poland
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Chris, sorry to answer you so late. Just check the first post of this thread please -
Daniel
kgonisz73
E-book readers owned: Kobo Touch
Number of books owned: 100

Post by kgonisz73 »

Hello Daniel,

Thank you for reply !

I haven't found a design files in the first post of this thread. However in the other thread I found these design files: http://www.diybookscanner.org/DIY%20Boo ... %20920.zip

Is it the newest version of design ?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Ah yeah. If you click the first link in the first post, it goes to a thread with the link to the latest artwork. Yes, that is the latest.
mhhelle
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 200

Post by mhhelle »

I've been wanting one of the kits for a while. I went to buy one this week now that I have the money and I see they are sold out. Any estimate when (if) another batch will be available for purchase?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

They're not actually sold out, I took them out of stock because I was not able to ship them easily while traveling for the holidays. Very sorry about that. I put one in stock for you now!
yoeri
E-book readers owned: htc
Number of books owned: 10

Post by yoeri »

are they for sale in europe to?

found it already :)
Ricardo
E-book readers owned: Samsung tablet
Number of books owned: 23

Post by Ricardo »

Just wondering if this scanner is a commercial venture, or will the drawings (dxf or whatever) that are used in the CNC cutter be made available for free for those in other countries to be able to get their own scanner cut out?