CAD - Cardboard Aided Design

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Hasher

CAD - Cardboard Aided Design

Post by Hasher »

Hi All

Something I was thinking of after seeing so many great cardboard designs on here.Why not a Cardboard structure scanner designed in the style of a fold able tab design, like those cardboard storage boxes found in the stationary store.

Thinking about it. A light flat packable scanner that doesn't cost much , recyclable ,low cost , easy to construct and perfect for the third world. Making from flat black colour cardboard would save painting

I have seen dedicated Cardboard design software like http://www.packmage.com/ but maybe there is add-on's for more popular CAD programs. Design could be mostly virtual

I'm not so good at putting across my ideas , so hopefully people understand me ;-)
Tim

Re: CAD - Cardboard Aided Design

Post by Tim »

That is a truly fantastic idea. There have been many cardboard ideas and talk of improved cardboard designs, but that's taking it to the next level. Mass produce-able, much cheaper shipping costs, and if made from higher grade cardboard with a well though out design it would be impressively sturdy. It wouldn't have the speed of a movable platen, fancier, more expensive, design, but that would be a worthwhile trade-off in many cases. A platen with a handle that lifts manually could be added easily enough.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You know, it would be awesome to make a foldable version of the cardboard box scanner... that's a pretty cool idea, Hasher.
freemab

Post by freemab »

Why not use triangular mailing tubes, like these:
https://shop.usps.com/webapp/wcs/stores ... y=10000002
-OR-
http://tinyurl.com/3p9wk9v

Caveat: That illustration is used just because I knew where to find it. USPS priority mailing boxes are provided free by USPS with the understanding that they will be used for a PAID mailing. The following is from the USPS FAQs:
" Using boxes that are ordered at The Postal Store® for other uses
"The terms of Agreement for the use of United States Postal Service shipping supplies is as follows: I understand that Express Mail service, Priority Mail service, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International packaging is the property of the United States Postal Service and is provided solely for sending Express Mail, Priority Mail, Global Express Guaranteed, Express Mail International and Priority Mail International. Misuse may be a violation of federal law."
freemab

Post by freemab »

...and if you're going to go to this much trouble, skip the corrugated cardboard and go with corrugated plastic:

http://www.coroplast.com/
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

True. And that stuff is easy to get for free - old campaign and advertising signs are printed on it.
freemab

Post by freemab »

Good idea. That would enable a person to try it out at no cost. But what I was actually thinking is that somebody could set up to cut this stuff as for prefab cardboard boxes and just sell it on-line. 4'x8' sheets are available, and it can be got in black and other colors. It is somewhat more flexible than the comparably sized corrugated cardboard, so the design of the "box" would probably have to undergo a few revisions till one rigid enough was developed. I think the cardboard-box design actually benefits from the overlap of the flaps under the book itself, giving crossed-cardboard to support the book, rather than a single layer.
freewheeling
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 500

Post by freewheeling »

I've been wondering myself why people don't use coroplast. I've seen a number of projects where it has been used to create aerodynamic tailboxes for bike designs, and even complete fairings. Mode of construction is usually folding, cutting, and hot glue. I can almost imagine a kind of orogami with pre-scored folds.