Portable Scanner - new design

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jradi

Portable Scanner - new design

Post by jradi »

Found this on lifehacker, which was a repost of an instructible:

http://lifehacker.com/5379835/how-to-bu ... ra-scanner
http://www.instructables.com/id/Portabl ... y-Machine/

How to Build a DIY Digital Camera Scanner [DIY]
from Lifehacker by Adam Pash
2 people liked this

Instructables user DHagen was sick of feeding coins into a public copy machine, wanted quality copies, but didn't want to spend much cash to get his own photocopier or scanner, so he did what any DIYer with a digital camera would do:

He built his own DIY copy machine/scanner using less than $20 of material (mostly plexiglass and a few various nuts and bolts). After building the camera mount apparatus, DHagen details how he snaps, crops, and converts the picture to PDF, but we'd recommend skipping that hassle altogether and using a previously mentioned photo-to-document tool like Qipit, Snapter, or scanR to accomplish similar results with less work on your part.

If you've gone the DIY scanner route in the past, let's hear how happy you've been with the results in the comments.
Portable, Paperless, Digital Copy Machine [Instructables]
Attachments
Portable book scanner
Portable book scanner
FOGIQNFG0KQOWM8.MEDIUM.jpg (16.3 KiB) Viewed 7117 times
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Portable Scanner - new design

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks for posting this! I love the simplicity of it, but I think the reflection and lighting problems would be pretty severe. Don't you?

I do think there's still a lot of room for a super-simple, one-camera design. It might open things up or at least be a starter drug for people with less money and less building skillzz.
fbonomi

Post by fbonomi »

I must say I was thinking along similar lines to simplify my design, or I'll never make it :-)

Somehow like a "tray" with two handles and a single camera stand on a side.

The "body" of the tray is a wooden frame with a glass platen, the handles are to move the "scanner" and press it on the book. One of the handles has a pushbutton used to shoot.
bookworm

Post by bookworm »

I like it too.

Lighting could be fine IMO... especially if you could be near a window with diffuse light. Sunlight would be the worst in certain situations (direct).

Since the camera is stable, flash would typically not be needed. It should be triggered by remote or timer.
pomo81

Post by pomo81 »

What about going glassless and using some type of adjustable frame to keep the page flat?