Photocopier-pc-connected

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

europanorama

Photocopier-pc-connected

Post by europanorama »

dont have actual photocopiers a pc-connection-option?
james415

Re: Photocopier-pc-connected

Post by james415 »

Could you clarify your question? Are you asking if you could do an entire book on a flat bed scanner hooked up to a computer? Absolutely. It would just be very painful.

Cheers,
James
europanorama

Post by europanorama »

photocopy machines can have a pc-connection. not cheap of course.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I have a combination scanner/printer/photocopier that connects to the PC. However, the last time I tried to scan a book, it took 30 seconds per page. With the camera-based scanner, it is taking me 3 seconds per page.

But even if I had a high-speed Xerox photocopier with a PC connection, I would still have to turn the page, turn the book over, smash the book flat against the glass, press the button, turn the book over again, turn the page, and so on. I would get very tired!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jradi

Post by jradi »

Is that 3 seconds per page or 3 seconds per two pages? I can't wait to get mine up and running! I have 5 entire bookshelves full of books that I'm dying to convert. Since my recent move, they're all sitting in a room in the boxes. I'd love scan and toss. While I love the idea of a library, I've tended to wanting a more and more sparse lifestyle. I'm happy with my move toward digital content.

I can't tell you how much happier I've been since I ripped my 600 CD collection and no longer have to run around searching for a cd, or trying to keep that whole mess alphabetized. Just open up my iphone and I can fill my house with any song within seconds.

Being able to do the same with my library is going to be wonderful...
rob

Post by rob »

It's 3 seconds per page (i.e. 6 seconds per spread).
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
Xymenah

Post by Xymenah »

Just to those who make comments about scanning and tossing. If you are going to get rid of the books after you have scanned them how about donating them to some kind of group that deals with the less fortunate who dont have money for books and especially dont have money for electronic equipment for electronic books. Just an idea, then they are out of your way but at least someone is still able to use them. Just an idea.
rob

Post by rob »

Xymenah,

We don't talk about it because that would be against US copyright law. Format shifting itself is of dubious legality (but I don't have a problem with it). But you really do have an obligation at least ethically to ensure that one and only one copy of the book is readable at any one time. If that means burning the original book, then so be it.
Xymenah

Post by Xymenah »

I see, It seems like a controversial battle then. It just seems like a huge waste. I personally would like to be able to scan books to I can take them with me places without carrying a ton of them around everywhere. I however will not be getting of the books that I currently own. I paid for my books and so I feel I can safely scan them and use that scanned info for my own use. Just as I have photocopied sections of my own books for taking to class with me because I didnt want to carry the whole book. I just seems a waste to destroy them when they could be given to people who could use them and dont have money for them. I do understand what you are saying however. I am just not 100% sure I agree with that view as of this point in time. I am just saying its a shame the 'rules' say that is how it has to be.