Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Our DIY Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
Ann

Re: Our DIY Scanner

Post by Ann » 18 Jan 2010, 17:20

And I KNEW it had to be there - under "curves" - I can adjust the RGB the same time as I unskew, so I can cut down one step in this whole thing by doing most of the editing in GC. Yeah! It's hard to find what I need in the user's manual because the authors are calling things different names than Canon does. Maybe it's a German thing, since GC was developed by a group of German folks.

Ann

Post by Ann » 18 Jan 2010, 17:23

Sorry - I didn't see your post - I did set a custom white balance with a white sheet of paper a few weeks ago - that was the white I used with the Archaeology Mag Cover and it didn't turn out well. I'll do it again, with a flash this time, and see if that helps. I did change the white balance in DPP to 6300 and I tried some other numbers, and that didn't help for the reasons you stated. So, custom white balance it is, and any RGB stuff I need to do in post if needed.

Ann

Post by Ann » 31 Jan 2010, 20:47

Well, I submitted my grant proposal to digitize 62 log books of the USS Essex in Washington, DC and Annapolis, MD. So we'll see. Because of my white balance problems, I bought a WhiBal card and it works great, I think. I tested it this morning by taking a baseline shot to set the custom white balance on my camera; I don't think this worked because of the really crappy light I have to use. But, I can apply the correct WB off of the base line WhiBal photo and do it in batches through Digital Photo Pro. The histogram looks good on the TIFF I uploaded to io:

http://drop.io/2mxfi0b#

Looking at the file at 100% of size, it looks like I'm still having focusing problems on the inner edge - my A-Dep setting has been taking care of that before and the rest of the image looks in focus. So, I'll have to mess with that a big - it's probably my sucky eyes that need bifocals.

bgalbrecht

Post by bgalbrecht » 31 Jan 2010, 21:28

Ann, I was wondering what thickness glass you bought to replace the flimsy plastic in the Reslig frame, and where you got it.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 02 Feb 2010, 00:33

Well, I submitted my grant proposal to digitize 62 log books of the USS Essex in Washington, DC and Annapolis, MD.
Best of luck from all of us, Ann!! You deserve it. :)

bgalbrecht, I don't know if there are any hardware stores in your area, but almost all hardware stores will cut glass to size. I had it done at a local Ace hardware, and it was 3-4 dollars per sheet. Just bring in the old acrylic or measurements and it's done in a few minutes! As for "doublestrength" glass.

Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty » 02 Feb 2010, 11:00

Good luck, Ann! :D Please keep us posted on your grant. This is really exciting for you!
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.

Ann

Post by Ann » 04 Feb 2010, 18:33

Thanks everyone! The grant funds may be a month late in coming, if I even get the grant, and my in-kind contribution has a time limit on it, so the whole thing might fall apart. Maybe. I'm looking into a funding source in New York that supports Navy-related projects, and I don't need that much money; the grant I'm aware of that they gave to the Naval Historical Center was for $150,000, and I'm cheap.

As for the platen plexi - the thickness is up to you - there are many to choose from - I'm not at home right now, but we think it was 1/8 inch or so, but like I said, we could have chosen something thicker or thinner for the frame we have since it has bendable tabs that adjust to the thickness of the plexi. I just chose one that wasn't too thick so that it would slide in and out of the frames easily. So, it depends on the type of frame you buy in the first place. I got our plexi from Menard's and they had cheap stuff to really expensive stuff; our local hardware stores In St Paul don't cut stuff to order and neither does Menard's. We did have to trim the pieces we bought with our jigsaw.

Ann

Post by Ann » 30 Mar 2010, 21:42

Hey Everyone - Well, after long last I received notice that I did get my grant - but not until July - after the beginning of FY 2011. They want it to be a Pilot Project of 10 log books, not the whole 62, but if I find out I can digitize them as fast as I think I can, I can do them all - and my grant is the same amount of money whether I do 10 or 62 - dumb, huh? But, a Pilot Project is impressive, I guess. Really screws up our travel plans since my hubby's grant to do research in Washington, DC and here in MN was approved, too, but his travel funds were piggy-backed on my grant. So, a few hundred dollars out of our personal pocket to get him to Washington in April, since his grant is for FY 2010 and has to be done by a certain time.

When I start my project, I'll post my progress/results in the projects section. It'll be a good test of the WhiBal Card since I will have uncontrolled lighting every day.

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 31 Mar 2010, 09:21

Congratulations! I look forward to the results.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

Ann

Post by Ann » 02 Apr 2010, 21:00

Thanks! :)