very tight bookfolds

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Snapabook

Re: very tight bookfolds

Post by Snapabook »

Kirtai wrote:Could this be eliminated by using a first surface mirror? (That's one with the reflective coating on the front of the glass instead of the back)
I think you have uncovered a bright solution. They tend to be expensive. Firstsurfacemirrors.com sells a foot by a foot for $50 or delphiglass.com 12"x16" for $40. Scan Tailor might be able to eliminate the ghost images but the ghost may be a problem for images on a book.

Another solution other than a first surface mirror. Just like what Antoha said before, build a prism box and fill the prism box with a liquid that will act just like a prism. This might be a problem if the liquids leak for some reason... destroying your very rare book.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

This thread is super-interesting. Thanks for doing that test, it's rather inspiring...

I think a prism box full of water might be a problem if the index of refraction differs too much between plastic and water (I don't know how much difference that is, offhand). still, might be worth trying.

the other thing about a prism of this size is that it would be extremely heavy.
DrAltaica

Post by DrAltaica »

DDavid wrote:I'm new here and one of my biggest problems is trying to copy
old fragile bound newspapers with very tight bookfolds.
After reading servreal hounder pages that look like this and this.

please don't scan old fragile books if you arn't going to do a decint job at it.

As the age old saying goes

Fast, Good or Cheap. Pick two.

For good and fast:
Get a view camera with digital back and digital lens should be able to take nice pictures. It's cost a fer 40,000.00 to $50,000.00 USD.

For good and cheap:
Get a learn how to make a CNC and rig it to move a USB camera over the page.

I would suggest something like a Microscope with 90 mirror or a tiny auto-focus camera $295 for the moters and driver $100 to $160 for the cameras. Probily doable for 750-1000 usd and it will make a bit of noise while scanning.
Last edited by Anonymous on 20 Dec 2009, 04:09, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

DrAltaica wrote:please DON'T SCAN OLD FRAGILE BOOKS if you arn't going to do a decint job at it.
I understand your point, but...

1. DON'T YELL AT OR OTHERWISE BE RUDE WITH OTHER MEMBERS.

and

1. DON'T DISCOURAGE ANYONE FROM SCANNING ANYTHING.

"Bad" scans are better than no scans. We are all doing the best we can. The best we can improves all the time, and that's doesn't happen by NOT doing things. It happens by our willingness to experiment, try things, and share our progress. And even occasionally fail. I'm excited to see anything from DDavid's project, and I'm sure he'll do a great job.
Misty
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Misty »

Two rule no. 1s, eh, Daniel?

You certainly don't need any camera like what you're suggesting to produce a good image at a reasonable speed. Working with a Canon PS G10, I have images like this and this (both of which are significantly inferior to what I'm doing now, with improvements to the shooting environment).

Altaica, I'm concerned that you're being rude to forum members. This isn't an environment where that is appreciated.
The opinions expressed in this post are my own and do not necessarily represent those of the Canadian Museum for Human Rights.
polau

Post by polau »

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss?url=s ... ge&x=0&y=0
could lightwedge be a part of your tight bookfolds?
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

lightwedge commercial showing the device in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBDdg8XbYB0
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

daniel_reetz wrote:lightwedge commercial showing the device in action

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TBDdg8XbYB0
Youzers. I've got two lightwedges, one for me, one for my daughter who doesn't use it. I'm wondering if they could be jury-rigged into a "ghetto" platen/lighting solution?

(Small Parts delivered the HDPE and Teflon, I've got no excuse but to start fabbing a test fixture.)
DDavid

Post by DDavid »

Hi all,
Sorry to have joined, posted and disappeared. I've been sick and in the hospital
recently and forgot about my post. I've seen lots of good ideas and DrAltaica
I was not offended, actually I like the view camera idea it's likely the best and
yes the most expensive.
What I'm filming is old fragile bound county newspapers some of which we will never have
enough money to film perfect copies of but can usually get all but the first or last few
letters of. For some of them it's a matter of copy it now or lose it forever because of
the cheap paper. A very few the bindings may be unstiched rather than cut and then stored
archivalily. I don't hold with puting things away to rot as many archives do. What's the
point of storing it to be lost forever if the image at least can be saved first.
The mirror ideas I never would have thought of and like them too.
For now I need to get uo to speed on those which are not such a problem with bookfold
and will come back to this issue then.
DDavid