Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Alternative approaches

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
elsatch

Alternative approaches

Post by elsatch » 15 Dec 2009, 11:59

Hi,

I'm trying to build my first book scanner. As I saw this project at Slashdot I got very excited. It was midnight and had the urge to build it. So no stores, just what was available at home. I limited my first try to the wonderful cardboard scanner. I used a navigator paper box, a kicthen knife and some cardboard to buy the craddle. It looked disgusting, but gave me some ideas about parts, about what I did wrong, etc.

Next day, I just went to my local chinese shop, for a couple of photostands. Each glass was 24x30 cm and costed 2,70 EUR. I could buy one smaller to bind them together for an additional EUR. Glue glass was a bit more expensive 4,95 EUR. I binded it all together and got a funcional platen. I'll buy some sheet binders to reinforce one side and create a handle.

I have a Olympus E-330, that replaced my old Olympus E-300. I had both lying around with same lens a 14-45 stock lens. Fortunately, I bought a remote and it fired both cameras at the same time. Big hurraaah. I have a tripod that could work at the moment.

I have several doubts, that I could not solve reading posts:

-Is it possible to build it with one camera over (8 or 10 mpx range) and a bigger angle (120º for example)? Does SnapTailor work with that kind of setup?
-Olympus Master Studio can shot camera and save files to computer using usb port. Could it work with a couple of dslrs?

I will post some photos once it's finished.
Thanks in advance.

spamsickle

Re: Alternative approaches

Post by spamsickle » 15 Dec 2009, 12:40

ScanTailor does work with "flatbed scanner" images, so if you're planning to use one camera taking a picture of two pages at once, I'd recommend just laying the book flat. None of the post-processing software I'm familiar with would currently handle the keystoning you'd get if you tried shooting down on a book open at 90 degrees or 120 degrees. You'll still get a little keystoning (pages that look more like trapezoids than rectangles) with the book open to 180 degrees, but that will be your best shot in my opinion.

I believe Rob's software addressed keystoning, but as far as I know he's not working on it currently.

DrAltaica

Post by DrAltaica » 18 Dec 2009, 03:37

elsatch wrote:Is it possible to build it with one camera over (8 or 10 mpx range) and a bigger angle (120º for example)?
8MegaPix only does as 17x11inchs at 200 dpi (11x7@300) 10MegaPix gets you 18x13@200(12x9@300) So if you want to do a novel it'd doable. you could use 120 WIDE-ANGLE lens if you lay the book flat. but I don't think you find support for non rectilinear lens in any OCR software. If you use fish-eye lens or shot the page at angle you have to dell with geting the whole book in focus and non-uniform DPI.

Tim

Post by Tim » 18 Dec 2009, 16:53

DrAltaica wrote:So if you want to do a novel it'd doable. you could use 120 WIDE-ANGLE lens if you lay the book flat. but I don't think you find support for non rectilinear lens in any OCR software. If you use fish-eye lens or shot the page at angle you have to dell with geting the whole book in focus and non-uniform DPI.
I ordered Omnipage 17 specifically because it advertised support for digital camera pictures and 3D correction. I wouldn't say it's great for that purpose, but I've only tried worst case scenario so far--taking a single 6MP picture of both pages of a book laid flat and with a lot of curvature from directly above and without any extra lighting. And then I only tried the automatic image processing. It does handle most of the page curl even in those poor circumstances, but most isn't enough for accurate OCR. I think it would handle a picture of both pages of a book that was flattened the way elsatch asked about or with a with a very simple V shaped glass or plastic platen that pressed it into a cradle. I'm going to do more testing and better lighting is tops on my priority list.

But if OCR is not your goal, then currently the software is not there to handle flattening the pages and handing you nice, flat looking output. Joseph is working on it for ScanTailor, but currently he's a one man show until more people show up that can contribute code.

elsatch

Post by elsatch » 19 Dec 2009, 10:51

I discovered that Olympus E-Series SDK doesn't support remoting more than one camera, so unless you own a couple for your project I would recommend getting any other brand. Canon seem the most hackable to me. I will try with my Olympus IR remote, and I'll buy a couple of dealextreme.com remotes (4$ each one shipping included) to make it automated.

dbmoura
E-book readers owned: iPod Touch, Palm V, iPad2
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by dbmoura » 25 Jan 2010, 15:34

I am thinking about the possibilities of Scantailor and the enhancements for non-linear images. So I am posting some initials views I had about taking photos of two pages in 90 deg and also incorporating the no platen solution also seen in another thread.
I very like the idea of Daniel in terms of lifting the platen or any holder to flat pages.
Let see what the colleagues find about this and the problems you oversee.
In terms of lights I've just put some cree leds but I have to think and follow the threads of discussion here. But I want to see the use of power leds and collimators or another system to really have diffused lights.
Please, feel free to comment.
Attachments
Bookscanner1.png
Perspective
Bookscanner1.png (463.65 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Bookscanner2.png
Perspective from the bellow
Bookscanner2.png (272.98 KiB) Viewed 5283 times
Bookscanner3.png
Side view
(235 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
"Rio 40ºC cidade maravilha do veneno e do caos."