Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

My completion of scanner v1 orig from instructable

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
27volts

My completion of scanner v1 orig from instructable

Post by 27volts » 05 Jan 2010, 23:59

These are some pics of my completed scanner (working order)

I'll try to get some more detailed pics up soon. Though it is very much the same one like the instructable.
Things I opted to use instead (thanks to wiki/forums for cool ideas 8-) )
-tripods over extending arm like tools
-ac adapters over rechargeable batteries for cameras (got some equivalent oem replacements)
http://cgi.ebay.com/Battery-charger-for ... 45ef399db9

-four battery holder,radioshack brand, (with recuring circuit to skip one slot) then I just cut off the USB A sides and wired the red/black wires directly to the 4.5v source. I had a bunch laying around so I figured it would be a good way to save some cash (though a hub would be neater :lol: )

-used an old dtv converter for RCA jacks

-sliding book holder idea I read somewhere here in the forums/wiki

-I also put a bubble level on the platten so I kinda know if it is level

I had trouble building the platten with plexi/acrylic. I cracked some of it and got glue over other parts. I just ended up going with a simple glass/mdf structure. Glued up with gorilla glue, not very professional like some of your guys but it works so I'm happy. Glass sheets are also very cheap at home depot (like $2.45 each).

Thanks again for all your guys creative ideas.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: My completion of scanner v1 orig from instructable

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Jan 2010, 07:22

Man I just LOVE your DTV converter box switch. That's great. And if I'm seeing correctly, the cradle (bookholder's other name, heh) is riding on those white drawer slides that have little wheels?

Thank you for sharing your design, great work. Next time I update the home page I'll add an image of yours...

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 06 Jan 2010, 07:24

-I also put a bubble level on the platten so I kinda know if it is level
That would have saved me a lot of setup time on my first scanner. Great idea!

27volts

Post by 27volts » 06 Jan 2010, 14:07

Thanks for the comments daniel, yeah I thought the dtv box was good because it was like $2 used and already had those rca jacks mounted and everything. I just gutted it and left the rca, then added the switch. Was gonna put the 3 batteries in there but then I remembered they would probably have to be replaced now and then :lol:

You are right the cradle (forgot that name for a moment) is on those drawer sliding things. Got em from homedepot for like $4.95 if I remember correctly.