Scanner for those with little room?

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rogerhyam

Scanner for those with little room?

Post by rogerhyam »

You may be interested in my blog page, inspired by this site, on building a scanner last weekend. It was a lot of fun but I don't know where I'll take it next. I'd need to put some work into post processing and OCR and don't want to spend money. You can read the blog here http://www.hyam.net/blog/archives/770

I attach a picture of the scanner. There is a sample image here http://www.hyam.net/blog/wp-content/upl ... C_1693.JPG

Most grateful for thought and advice on taking it further.

Roger
IMG_2384.jpg
IMG_2384.jpg (127.39 KiB) Viewed 13689 times
Antoha-spb
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: Scanner for those with little room?

Post by Antoha-spb »

Greetings to face-down-scanning adepts :)

What you need now is to make the 90 degrees V cradle rotating around the middle of the page, so both pages may be digitized with one lift of the book.

Second thing - make your scanner easily (dis-)assembled. I live in a tiny flat and do all my craftwork there as well, so mine is stored in the wardrobe when not used, occupying minimum of space. Additional bonus is that such scanner may be taken to anywhere in a big sports bag.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Thanks for posting your design, Roger! Really gladto have you here. Nice to see the antoha-class design getting some traction, too.
rogerhyam

Post by rogerhyam »

Thanks for your comments. Antoha-spb yours looks really cool but I'll not try handling the moving parts till I have tackled the OCR issue.

Roger
Gothiczartan84
Number of books owned: 800

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

Antoha-spb wrote:Greetings to face-down-scanning adepts :)

What you need now is to make the 90 degrees V cradle rotating around the middle of the page, so both pages may be digitized with one lift of the book.

Second thing - make your scanner easily (dis-)assembled. I live in a tiny flat and do all my craftwork there as well, so mine is stored in the wardrobe when not used, occupying minimum of space. Additional bonus is that such scanner may be taken to anywhere in a big sports bag.
I thought about doing that. I have a nikon dslr D40. I want to know what parts and where do I get something to hold the book like that and those two lights? could you help me out on how to make this set? all i can do I add my camera and all set. is there some place where you can place the camera and have it to hold straight?