Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Re: Daniel's Work Thread: Toward a Hackerspace Scanner

Post by rob »

dpc wrote:I'm a bit slow today. I still don't see what keeps that arm from moving toward the piece with the stud coming out of it and rubbing wood-on-wood. Could you draw a cross-sectional sketch and post it here? I'm lost on where those flat washers go.
Oh, nothing! I'm just saying the bearing won't come out. The wood can rub, but I don't see that as much of an issue.
dpc wrote:That wood pulley is pretty sexy. Did you turn that on a lathe or come up with some other way to do it? I'm have to make a number of those an exact size and I'm planning to use my router circle jig to cut the OD, then build a fixture on my router table with a 1/4" cove bit to cut the groove.
Oh, I CNC routed it in two parts, one fits in the other making a kind of spool shape.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
jck57

Post by jck57 »

dpc wrote: That wood pulley is pretty sexy. Did you turn that on a lathe or come up with some other way to do it? I'm going to make a number of those an exact size and I'm planning to use my router circle jig to cut the OD, then build a fixture on my router table with a 1/4" cove bit to cut the groove.
For what it may be worth, my fast-dollar plywood pulley: Two 2" hole saw plugs, one 1-1/4" plug. Glue and bolt the sandwich together. After the glue dries, bore it 5/16".
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

BEHOLD: ONE THOUSAND SKATEBOARD BEARINGS
1000_bearings.jpg
1000_bearings.jpg (58.71 KiB) Viewed 10753 times
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

That post is a bit overbearing, Dan. <rimshot>

Hey, is that orange/black tape measure in that picture the one that only has the gradation marks on one edge of the tape? I had one that looked exactly like that and I tossed it because every time I'd pull out that tape to put a mark on lumber, the marks on the edge of the tape were on the wrong edge.

Found a pic of one here:
Last edited by dpc on 24 May 2012, 19:45, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

No, this one is a homedepot cheapy with a similar case, but I almost bought one of those FastCaps over at Phillips Ply last Friday. thanks for saving me the pain. ;)
jck57

Post by jck57 »

dpc wrote:That post is a bit overbearing, Dan. <rimshot>
Yeah. Takes a lot of balls to put up that pic.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

jck57 wrote:
dpc wrote:That post is a bit overbearing, Dan. <rimshot>
Yeah. Takes a lot of balls to put up that pic.
GUYSZZZZZZ :D

I spent most of today running errands and catching up on life-stuff, but I've also fabricated an entirely new dust shoe for my router that actually gets the chips out. The dust shoe I was previously using was just too large-area for the task, and kept the end of the vac hose about 4.5" from where the action was happening. My new system, crude as it is, keeps all the vac right around the router bit, to great effect. I'll post pics in a bit.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Here are the pics, as promised.

Just finished a tilting-top table for unloading the router. Idea here is to pull the sheet of still-tabbed cut parts off the machine in one smooth motion -- without breaking the tabs and ruining parts as I was doing. This is nothing more than a folding table, lightly reinforced, with a hinged top made of two pieces of 3/4" plywood. One is a chewed up old piece so I can chisel and route on it with no consequences.
tilting_table_DSC01636.jpg
tilting_table_DSC01636.jpg (50.72 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Here is my new dust shoe. I used to use a KentCNC dust shoe, but found that I just couldn't clear the chips when using a downcut router bit. After a lot of tinkering I realized that basically I just needed to reduce the overall surface area of the dust shoe and get the vac hose as short and as close to the router bit as possible. Most of this thing is made from a 4" to 5" hose adapter from Rockler that I had lying around. I sawed the top off and lasered an adapter that fit it to the spindle of my router. The temporary skirt you see is made of Gorilla Tape. Which, my friends, is awesome, awesome stuff and I highly recommend it for any task you may have once thought duct tape was good for.
new_dust_shoe_1_DSC01640.jpg
new_dust_shoe_1_DSC01640.jpg (29.36 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Here you can see the inside of the shoe. It is apparent that it is comprised mostly of hot glue and hope.
new_dust_shoe_2_DSC01637.jpg
new_dust_shoe_2_DSC01637.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Here you can see my quick-release attachment scheme - just some flat-topped bolts which positively lock in some registration holes and stick to some surplus hard drive magnets.
new_dust_shoe_3_DSC01638.jpg
new_dust_shoe_3_DSC01638.jpg (32 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Here you can see the attachment plate which is itself magnetically attached to the spindle.
new_dust_shoe_4_DSC01639.jpg
new_dust_shoe_4_DSC01639.jpg (26.1 KiB) Viewed 10604 times
Eventually this thing will break or need replacement. The biggest problem with it is just that it hangs very low - if the spindle were to crash it would break. I will do my best to avoid that circumstance.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

daniel_reetz wrote:Here are the pics, as promised.

Also, in this picture you can see my new air filter/chip separator combo, which is really working nicely. So far, very happy with it.
Fab52
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Fab52 »

Just a reminder that Fab52 devised an ingenious two bearing system that can be machined from one side:

Hi,

Here's an other solution for the two bearing cradlle arm....

See you

Fab