Museum glass: before and after shots

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

DrCheap
E-book readers owned: pdf
Number of books owned: 750

Re: Museum glass: before and after shots

Post by DrCheap »

Thanks for the feedback and ideas. I may well have to buy in bulk and then have it cut. I have emailed TrueVue to ask whether we can laser-cut the glass sheets or if that will cause separation of the AR coating (I know we cannot laser cut the non-glare acrylic, but they don't say either way about the reflection-free glass).

The UltraVue prices look good, if a local supplier here will do the same price. Water white, reflection-free, 98%+ light transmission, sounds darn well ideal as long as it is strong enough at 2mm. I do think any water white reflection-free (AR) glass should do the trick.

This will be going into a standard Dan & Rob kit build... Once the thing is assembled and working with cheapo glass, and all working as it should, then I'll see about replacing with some water white AR. 6-8 weeks is a good guess on timeline, so I'll post back here then with results.
ycpdan
E-book readers owned: iRex / Kindle DX/ Nook
Number of books owned: 300

Post by ycpdan »

I found Clarex cast acrylic
The sheet size is 15.75" x 21.65". If you can use 10.5" x 14" instead of 11" x 14" we could get 2 pcs per sheet instead of only 1
Can you look at the properties http://www.astraproducts.com/info-acryl ... p#PHYSICAL and let me know if they will fit our needs?
DrCheap
E-book readers owned: pdf
Number of books owned: 750

Post by DrCheap »

Just fyi, I found Tru-Vue Museum Glass at the local Hobby Lobby. Walk in, asked for 11x14, they cut and wrapped it in a few minutes, $30 per pane.

$60 for two panes of glass is still pricey but it's a darn convenient and a good price for museum glass as well.

Michaels sells "masterpiece" glass but my understanding is that this is sub-par quality compared to TV museum glass.