Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

DIY Book Scanner mechanical trigger instructions

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Re: DIY Book Scanner mechanical trigger instructions

Post by dpc » 21 Jun 2012, 01:51

Yeah, depending on the length of the cable and the routing (large loose curves) I suppose the cable jacket could flex enough as you pulled the lever and won't move the trigger arm. The typical bike brake cable doesn't have that problem because the length is relatively short and it usually makes a single 90 deg. turn.

mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow » 21 Jun 2012, 18:05

dpc, yes photos, videos, or other instructions would be a big help! Daniel, thoughts?

dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc » 22 Jun 2012, 16:10

Sorry, I don't have a scanner like that. I could send you pictures/video of the cables on my moutain bike. :) Perhaps someone else who has actually built one of the things can chime in.

If you have the cable jacket/housing butted up tight into the brake lever barrel adjustment screw, and the other end of the cable jacket clamped by the two halves of the trigger arm housing, what happens when you squeeze the lever? Could it be that the cable jacket is moving within the trigger arm housing?

jtalle
E-book readers owned: iBook, Kindle, Nook, Adobe Reader
Number of books owned: 100

Post by jtalle » 29 Sep 2012, 13:15

I'm having a problem with that. One cable jacket is fairly stable, but the other creeps every time the brake handle is pulled.

Epoxy wouldn't work so well. I'm thinking about drilling a hole so a bolt will hold the cable tight.

However, I am eager to hear any advice.

jtalle
E-book readers owned: iBook, Kindle, Nook, Adobe Reader
Number of books owned: 100

Post by jtalle » 04 Oct 2012, 21:04

Will anchoring the cable to the frame eliminate the creep? Or should the cable be secured at the very end?

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 04 Oct 2012, 22:44

it should. I used zip ties and zip tie anchors.