Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Solinvicta
E-book readers owned: 1
Number of books owned: 200

Re: Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Post by Solinvicta »

Hi everybody,

Just got a kit, and I've been working through putting things together. So far, I've been very happy with the build quality, and everything has been coming together nicely without much trouble. Most of the time I've spend has been on painting! (I've been trying to stain the wood, with Minwax Ebony, since the plywood is so nice, and plan to go back later and apply flat black to the places that need it). That said, I've got a few questions:

1) Is there a complete version of the assembly instructions out there? I've been working from the one that was linked at the start of this thread, but the PDF cuts off right after the instructions for installing the glass, so I'm very close, but haven't fully assembled the handle, the bungees, or the imaging module (although I could figure that out from the videos).

2) The book cradle assemble is very loose (and falls apart if I'm not careful). Do I need to secure any parts of this with glue or screws?

3) Are any recent kit assemblers able to comment on extra parts that they had at the end of assembly? I just want to make sure that they are "extras" and not critical bits that I missed. :D

Thanks in advance for the help, and I'll hopefully have some pictures of the final production soon.

- J.D.
markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

Post by markvdb »

Solinvicta wrote: 1) Is there a complete version of the assembly instructions out there? I've been working from the one that was linked at the start of this thread, but(...)
As far as I know, there is no more recent version. I am slowly building an openscad model of the scanner for use in an easily updatable (and forkable) assembly manual. You may want to follow https://github.com/markvdb/diybookscann ... r/openscad or even contribute to it.
2) The book cradle assemble is very loose (and falls apart if I'm not careful). Do I need to secure any parts of this with glue or screws?
Not sure what you mean exactly. Never heard of that kind of problem.
3) Are any recent kit assemblers able to comment on extra parts that they had at the end of assembly? I just want to make sure that they are "extras" and not critical bits that I missed. :D
For the kits we send out, we add in some spare metal parts: bolts, nuts and especially washers. Just to be sure... In my experience it's rather hard to have a hardware assembly go awfully wrong. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
Solinvicta

Post by Solinvicta »

Hi Mark,

Thanks for the reply. I've worked my way through the videos that Daniel Reetz posted, and those explained most of the things that I was missing, so the scanner is basically entirely together. The threaded rod assembly (with wing nuts) solved the loose attachment of the cradle to the trolley; however, the two flat pieces of the cradle still don't attach firmly to their supports. I'm not sure if this will be a problem in practice, but they weren't a firm enough fit that I had to pound them in with a mallet, as was shown in the video.

For other folks following the thread, I needed the videos to figure out: The final cradle assembly, the light assembly, and the pivoting handle assembly. I don't believe that I could have assembled these pieces just from the PDF.

Sure enough, you were right about the parts - I wound up with everything pretty much in the right spots, except for two bolts and some felt (which I'm assuming go under the cameras), and also one mysterious small wooden part with holes for skate bearings (see picture). I also had to pick up an extra pair of slightly longer bolts for mounting the bungee cord, but those were easy to find. Another piece that I need is some extra felt for the glass tabs - I wound up being a piece short, but will probably just trim a little from the camera felt...

To be honest, I'm still a little amazed the kit went together as easily as it did. I probably struggled more following the instructions to assemble an Ikea shelving unit later in the weekend than I have with this so far. :)

- J.D.
Attachments
The Missing Piece.jpg.jpg
Solinvicta

Post by Solinvicta »

Hi everyone,

Just an update - I put in the glass, and tightened everything up, and the scanner looks to be functional from a hardware perspective. Never figured out where that one part went...

In testing the mechanism yesterday, the cradle was a little too close to one side of the back edge, and would scrape against the side a bit when I raised it...I spaced it out with a nut, and now it functions well. I picked up a power strip to mount on the back, and need to pick up a few supplemental electronics (AC adapters for the cameras, an SD card reader to load chdk), but nothing big. Today, I'm hoping to work out the processing workflow with a test book or two and stock camera (a2200) software and Scan Taylor.

- J.D.
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

Never figured out where that one part went...
I believe that extra part is an alternate handle support that provides more clearance from the lifting bar.
Solinvicta

Post by Solinvicta »

Thanks DPC - that makes perfect sense (the slot fits in the same place). As an update, I installed Scan Tailor and have started processing books. It did a great job with the clean up of the page scans for a test book. I'm going back and flat-black spray painting the cradle (it was stained "ebony" before) so that it will have an easier time figuring out the margins, although it did a better got with the ebony stain than I would have predicted.

- J.D.
Terminus
E-book readers owned: Kindle, iPad
Number of books owned: 1200

Post by Terminus »

I just ordered my Kit, I'm excited to put it together!
I've never done any book scanning before, other than a couple destructive scans with my sheet-fed scanner.

I see most people painting it before assembly, is that the best route to go or can it be painted after assembly?

Also, I see the kits no longer support the bike handle... maybe I'll try the foot pedal route for a trigger, is that the most popular method now?

-Tev
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

You can paint after assembly, but you'll be painting over bolts and stuff. Not a big deal.

I've seen foot pedals and pushbuttons used in equal number.
Terminus
E-book readers owned: Kindle, iPad
Number of books owned: 1200

Post by Terminus »

Just got my kit! My wife's family is visiting this weekend, but maybe I can sneak in painting tomorrow and assembly on sunday... ;)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »