Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Terminus
E-book readers owned: Kindle, iPad
Number of books owned: 1200

Re: Build Thread for the Hackerspace Scanner Kits

Post by Terminus »

Assembled the kit last night - I was planning on painting it first, but weather's been bad for painting and I was impatient. :D

Went together pretty smoothly following the videos. One mistake I made at first was not drilling the holes deep enough, so cracked one piece of plywood (the upper-right part of the front bar). Nothing major though, so should be fine.

Here's a quick video of the lever action, so smooth!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/tevk/85720 ... otostream/

Only thing left is adding screws to the imaging module and handle, and adding the glass. I'll probably do that tonight.

Then I have to figure out what I want to do for a trigger. I'm thinking an easy-to-press button just below the handle, using the shorter handle so it's within reach.
vitorio
Number of books owned: 0

Post by vitorio »

Ordered a kit when this weekend's batch went up. It arrived today. The box is slightly damaged: it looks like a side and corner were punctured to make something of a handle.

I searched for "damage" and "shipping" and didn't see anything; is there anything in particular I should look out for when I get to unpacking it?
WP_001076.jpg
WP_001076.jpg (80.64 KiB) Viewed 13822 times
WP_001077.jpg
(54.22 KiB) Downloaded 10776 times
waldemar
E-book readers owned: ipad, iphone, pc, mac
Number of books owned: 10

Post by waldemar »

Got my kit from another Seattle user (thanks, Mark) and got it built - looks great! Still getting a few things worked out with cameras - will initially test with Olympus (E-P1 and OM-D E-M5) and then most likely get a matched pair of Canons (currently leaning toward the A1300's, but open to discussion).

A couple of suggestions, some minor mods I did:

- I replaced a number of the regular nuts with nylon locking nuts. I was a few nuts short for what I wanted to do anyway, and a box of 100 was about $8 at my local hardware store, so I grabbed them. They're particularly excellent on the bolts which go through bearings or on the bungee assembly, because once you get them into position they won't shift due to vibration or movement.

- On the cradle wings, I locked down the back piece by sandwiching the rear support with a washer and nut on each side of the support, so that the bolt (threaded rod) doesn't move, which makes it very easy to spin the wing nut into place. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29115969@N ... hotostream (Hope the link to my photos works...)

- On the camera mount, I bought a 1.5" long machine screw in 1/4-20 along with a fender washer and wing nut. What I do is spin the wing nut all the way down to the head of the screw, put on the fender washer, put the machine screw through the camera mount brace on the scanner, finger-tighten it into the tripod socket, and then spin the wing nut back to hold things securely. Inexpensive, easy to do, secure, and unlikely to damage my camera. http://www.flickr.com/photos/29115969@N ... hotostream

Otherwise, all is pretty standard. I intend to experiment with a black construction paper or felt light tent to cut out reflections rather than paint the scanner. Went together beautifully - thanks for an incredible piece of kit, Daniel!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Vitorio,
I'm very sorry that I didn't see your post earlier. That's really terrible damage. Aside from one bad international shipment in the very first batch, I've never seen a box that torn up.

As you probably saw when you were inside it, it has foam glued into the corners to prevent corner smashage and also the box is both sealed with hot melt adhesive and taped all over.

There is insurance on the package, and I also will personally replace any part that has any shipping damage whatsoever. The big thing to do is to check the assembly manual linked in the first post of this thread, and be sure you have at least that number of fasteners, and also that your LED works.

I'm really sorry for what happened. Also for the delay. Have you looked at the parts?
Gothiczartan84
Number of books owned: 800

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

do book scanner kit will come with two cameras that are designed to fit on a DIY Book Scanner? what cameras should be I buy and what size would that be? how to get the camera steady to get a clear shot of the image?
Gothiczartan84

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

http://youtu.be/8GrI9UFD4uo

I was thinking about an idea for creating this simple DIY book scanner with clear glass to hold the book pages down and click and that's it. is it possible if you can make this version of DIY bookscanner?
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hi, the kits do not come with cameras. I'm currently suggesting the A2200IS or A810.
scanster
Number of books owned: 0

Post by scanster »

Dan's build is superior to the one you have linked from YouTube. The issues IMHO with the one from YouTube link:

1. Camera to glass distance is not fixed (depends on book thickness).
2. The lighting situation is unclear - you'd need to have an overhead light really high up not to have reflections and shadows.
3. The lifting mechanism is attached on 3 sides + hand (if one isn't working ideally, the whole process becomes painful).
4. It's open to all kinds of reflections from all around (with Dan's one can cover the scanner or the lightbox).

I recently got his kit and it was more than impressive.

Regarding the cameras, I am using A1100 IS and it's working fine.
Gothiczartan84

Post by Gothiczartan84 »

daniel_reetz wrote:Hi, the kits do not come with cameras. I'm currently suggesting the A2200IS or A810.
how to get the cameras installed on book scanner and how to get them to work?
gnome
E-book readers owned: Kindle for PC, Acrobat XI Pro
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by gnome »

Gothiczartan84 wrote:how to get the cameras installed on book scanner and how to get them to work?
I'm looking at tethered shooting using 18-MP DSLRs and third-party software (http://hartcw.com/smart-shooter/features/) that appears to support simultaneous control of several Nikon and Canon DSLR camera models. (I wonder if anyone has confirmed multiple-camera control and has reported good results using this particular software.)

18 MP should be adequate to achieve resolutions of 300 DPI for pages with sizes up to A3 (16.5 x 11.7 in), producing very good quality images for the vast majority of books.

At present, unfortunately, "Smart Shooter" costs $50 and two 18-MP Canon EOS DSLR bodies, including 18-55 mm lenses, will be over $400 each, used.

Maybe someone else can suggest a more cost-effective solution for tethered shooting with 18-MP Canon or Nikon DSLRs.