DIY kit in EU

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

DIY kit in EU

Post by markvdb »

Hah! This CNC routing work is finally paying off. Faster than paper and a jigsaw, and much cleaner. Drilling the back side bearing holes was faster than doing it on the router. Worked quite well. And another simplification: I'll be doing electronical triggering, so no mechanical trigger.

Some pics:

Full album:
https://picasaweb.google.com/1032615874 ... directlink

Looking forward to putting this thing together!

Mark
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: DIY kit in EU

Post by daniel_reetz »

Gorgeous. Congratulations. That is incredibly clean routing. Can you please comment on the type of bit you used, if there was a vacuum table present, and any other relevant settings? How much sanding did you have to do to get the parts that clean? I find that with a spiral downcutting bit, I have to sand the bottom side of every piece to remove the "hairy edge" left by the bit.
markvdb
Number of books owned: 0

Post by markvdb »

daniel_reetz wrote:Gorgeous. Congratulations. That is incredibly clean routing. Can you please comment on the type of bit you used, if there was a vacuum table present, and any other relevant settings? How much sanding did you have to do to get the parts that clean? I find that with a spiral downcutting bit, I have to sand the bottom side of every piece to remove the "hairy edge" left by the bit.
I actually had this made, so I'll have to ask what settings exactly he used. The work I did was mostly limited to publicly documenting the depth for the new plywood sheet layout (posted here before).

In related news, I'm making quite good progress on remodelling all wooden components in openscad. See https://github.com/markvdb/diybookscanner .
Mark
http://diybookscanner.eu - official EU diybookscanner kits - subscribe to our newsletter
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Feel free to make that the official repository. I am very excited about your work converting the design to OpenSCAD.
Gortan60
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1100

Post by Gortan60 »

Can I have one of these kits?? Please? I live in Ireland. It looks superb indeed, beautiful even.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Has MarkVDB contacted you? It might be good to send him a private message...
Gortan60

Post by Gortan60 »

Thanks Daniel, just did that now. The amount of various different types of DIY scanners is mind boggling, some are extremely well thought out; others maybe less so. I do have a certain amount of basic carpentry skills but with the exorbitant cost of the Atiz ones, your design is well within many folks' financial reach.

I look forward to hearing from Mark.
Gortan60

Post by Gortan60 »

What is the largest size that the DIY scanner will scan?
stearn
E-book readers owned: kindle
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by stearn »

I have been making notes in readiness of building my own bookscanner and it appears that 12" x 9" x 3" is the maximum size I found on a thread, but I don't know which. The glass platten is obviously the main restricting factor, but the geometry of the rest of it will play a part, as will the camera and I am currently stalled at that point while I rig up a test frame and try out the A3300 I just got.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yes, 12x9x3. Much of the information is in the post on my store page, linked in my signature. The truth is you can do a little tiny bit wider, but I don't advertise the extra capacity because it is not easy to use.