Current Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

The Sardonic Sardine
Number of books owned: 0

Current Scanner

Post by The Sardonic Sardine »

After many months of neglect and dust collection, I have finally gotten everything together and here is the result.

I'm rather chagrined to admit that I built it from a kit that I ordered from the guys at Question Copyright. You may boo and hiss in your replies, but nevertheless... here it is.

I got two Canon Powershot 1300 ISs from Amazon, the mini SDM remote was from digi-dat and the light is my 3M desklamp.

We'll have to see what the output is like (I'll post some samples in the next few days). I'm still wrestling blindly with Scan Tailor and all its processing functions.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Current Scanner

Post by daniel_reetz »

Do you have a link to the SDM remote seller?

When did you buy the kit? Seems to me like they quit making them a long time ago. Are they still rolling?
The Sardonic Sardine
Number of books owned: 0

Post by The Sardonic Sardine »

daniel_reetz wrote:Do you have a link to the SDM remote seller?

When did you buy the kit? Seems to me like they quit making them a long time ago. Are they still rolling?
Bought the SDM remote from Werner Bloos at digi-dat.de (got the link from this list of commercial support for SDM - http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/sdm/suppliers.htm).

As for the kit, I got it around the end of last year. They don't make them, but they put me in touch with their prototyper who built one up for me. Not much seems to be happening on their front. They stopped to wait for the release and reception of the Ion Booksaver (which as we know, never happened and didn't look stellar anyway) and never picked up on it again.
Dickison
E-book readers owned: Mac, iPhone
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by Dickison »

This is sort of an updside down version of what I was considering and wondering if someone has already built one. The idea is to have the design shown inverted, placing the book on top with plates of glass on the sides of the frame shown. Then, rather than having a rectangular frame as shown, take the sides straight down so it looks like a house with a peaked roof made of glass. All the walls would be opaque with an internal light source arranged so there would be no glare. The roof would be large enough to hold most books and when a smaller book is placed centered on the roof, some sliders would be available to block extraneous light. The plates of glass would be easily removed with slots to slide each side of the roof in. This would make it easy to clean or replace broken glass. There would be two camera mounts where a variety of inexpensive cameras could be placed and a convenient cable system to fire both cameras easily. A variation of this would be to use mirrors in such a way that both pages could be reflected without distortion in such a manner that a single camera could be used to take pictures of both pages.

I think it would be easier to have a system like this without moving parts, you just lift the book, turn the page, and set it back on the roof of the house. It could be compact enough to set on top of a desk when needed and moved out of the way when not.

Has anyone seen anything like this? Anyone care to design and build a kit like that?

I live in a very tiny condo and have no access to nor room for tools, so I can't build one myself.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey Dickison, Rob and Spamsickle have both built one. Here's Rob's tutorial:

http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... roof#p9997