Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Parts V2

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
charlies
Number of books owned: 0

Parts V2

Post by charlies » 07 Feb 2010, 01:48

The speed at which all have innovated has made me think a separate post about 'parts' might be useful.
we have recently seen:
Aluminum picture frames as platens
pvc tubing as both connectors and vertical bearing/ glide
and, more. This weekend, I thought I would be much further along on my prototype, and the notion(s) of incorporating all the good work by those before me, with a 'brilliant' post... alas, not yet... but:
I am posting this dirty snapshot, showing some of the parts that could be used. I will follow up, but wanted to get something going, now.

I am thinking of both how to most simply make a device, as well as how to take it apart: either portable, or just to store it.

Examples:
pvc tubing and fittings: can be 'jam' fit and are mostly tight; CAN use simple fasteners: screws, and nails as 'pins'
unconventional sources, even from inside Home Depot (a 2' piece and a 10' piece cost about the same, ditto with threaded rod: you need to know where to look; the hardware department is not the only place to look for hardware: try the 'framing anchor' section -- often cheaper... etc.

...so, more to follow, but here is a 'teaser' snapshot... I ran way out of time today.
please pitch in.

I am thinking also of another topic, related: something like: Parts, basic how to
Some of us are mechanics, some not. for those not (oh, and perhaps those who are)
quick outline of methodology (work back from big picture, do a design...)
some tips (what is important in construction of a scanner: MORE: what are OK shortcuts: ... how perfect does perfect need be? where and when?
and 'dirty' tricks: like: glue gun, and nails (drilled) thru pvc vs bolts for fast assembly.

Charlie
Attachments
Parts 1.jpg
Parts 1.jpg (12.01 KiB) Viewed 2280 times

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Parts V2

Post by daniel_reetz » 07 Feb 2010, 03:22

I am thinking also of another topic, related: something like: Parts, basic how to
Some of us are mechanics, some not. for those not (oh, and perhaps those who are)
quick outline of methodology (work back from big picture, do a design...)
some tips (what is important in construction of a scanner: MORE: what are OK shortcuts: ... how perfect does perfect need be? where and when?
and 'dirty' tricks: like: glue gun, and nails (drilled) thru pvc vs bolts for fast assembly.
Totally agree... the best thing would be to write up these discussions, make them "sticky" posts (maybe wiki articles, but stickies probably work better), so newcomers can find them right away. Much of the content is already here and could be summed up into sentences and then linked... if you want to take charge and lead one of these ideas I will help as much as I can with illustrations and links to posts with more info. I think the "work back from big picture" would be a great place to start, and another idea I've had is to annotate each build thread listed in my "master index" with what's unique for each build. The same data could be usefully re-arranged, too -- like after describing project by project all the interesting approaches to the platen, you could have a "Platen Ideas" section for people to investigate.

Even just a post describing the parts of a generic scanner would be hugely useful. "A scanner generally consists of these five things: lights, platen, cameras, sliding base, software" -- something like that.

cratylus

Re: Parts V2

Post by cratylus » 07 Feb 2010, 16:57

I think we're thinking along the same lines.

I posted a "instructions-esque" PDF today that might be of interest...
http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=274

It's only 4 pages of content, but I think it's enough to get the ball rolling for even a non-mechanic. And the last page includes a parts list and prices.

I can't tell if I love or hate the fact that once I've finished something (and sometimes before), I'm already thinking of things I'd do differently.

One thought I had while I was making parts, was hell, I could make ten of these just as easy as I can make one. Makes me wonder...

Joel