Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Musinf Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
Musinf

Re: Musinf Book Scanner

Post by Musinf » 19 Feb 2010, 14:23

Hello IcantRead, you know, I like very much your bookscanner project ! It is you who gave me the idea to make my plans in 3D ! Thank you !
In your point of view, do you think that the quality of the rail (is it the good word ?) has a consequence on the good vertical slide ? I plan to buy linear guide system of very good quality (click here !). I also think install the same system on lateral slices of the platen, I am just drawing plans. Tomorrow morning, I show you !

IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead » 19 Feb 2010, 16:59

The quality of the slides make a big differance. The only thing is the cost. If you are paying $100 for each slide I don't think it would be worth it. If you used drawer slided and made the back out of solid wood I think you would get the same results. The down side is it would make it a lot heavier than the other way.

Musinf

Post by Musinf » 20 Feb 2010, 14:44

Work today was successful ! I think it's the final idea. What do you think about this technique ? I made an estimation for the four rails : 110€ for very good quality.
Thank's all for your project which helps me.
Image_24.jpg
Image_24.jpg (15.66 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Image_25.jpg
Image_25.jpg (19.52 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Image_26.jpg
Image_26.jpg (18.03 KiB) Viewed 5839 times
Image_27.jpg
Image_27.jpg (17.16 KiB) Viewed 5839 times

IcantRead
Number of books owned: 0

Post by IcantRead » 22 Feb 2010, 20:16

Wow 110€ my intire scanner cost less than half of that (excluding the cameras). However if you are looking for high quality then I guess that's not a bad price. You may want to look into 80/20 extruded aluminum. You could make up an aluminum frame and then have teflon slides on it. I am making a cnc machine out of the stuff it works great.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 22 Feb 2010, 20:43

Where are you going to mount the lights?

benjamin

Post by benjamin » 24 Feb 2010, 13:06

We're using a slide similar in design to the one you linked to, but much, much cheaper (I think I paid around $0.50 for the slide & about 7 feet of rail). Just one on a center post, counterwighted. It's quite smooth. Remember the platen is actually pretty light.

Recently I've been thinking about a collapsible design that uses a single side-mounted slider. Sorry I'm not so hep to the CAD, I'm more of a whiteboard guy..

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 24 Feb 2010, 14:58

Combined with my folding platen, that could be a hell of a portability gain...

benjamin

Post by benjamin » 25 Feb 2010, 14:48

Yeah, I was actually planning to duplicate your design using ladder hinges, but I haven't found any sturdy enough yet (only tiny decorative ones).

sorry to jack the thread. this design is great! (le mot c'est "chouette," right?). is there a plan for mounting the cameras?

Musinf

Post by Musinf » 25 Feb 2010, 15:47

Hello everybody, sorry for my long absence. Who are you ? I begin a new job very hard in dialysis...
You can say "C'est vraiment sympa !", in french spoken, you can say "Vraiment sympatoche !" ! :mrgreen:
So !!!
About the price of the slides. I agree with you IcantRead ! It is expensive, but I cannot find good slides in DIY stores. I looked about slides for doors (is it the good word ?), but I'm afraid there is too much play (movements ?) in the bearing/drill. Do you understand what I want to say ?
About the lights : I have not thought about that ... I did a lot of research on lighting equipment and I have no idea. I tell me about "light-box" ! What do you think about this ?
lightbox.gif
lightbox.gif (24.93 KiB) Viewed 5748 times
I have a question : Direct lighting does create highlights ? Do I must buy anti-glare plexiglass ? (I find it but just in 3mm tick).
About wooden pillars (7cm/7cm) on my plan, my dad wants to use aluminium for strength. I tell me if the assembly will not become too complex with aluminium.
About cameras, I think a lot !!! This will be the next shots.
Thanks

benjamin

Post by benjamin » 01 Mar 2010, 03:29

The only reason I would be concerned with play in the slide is if you're worried about it jamming/binding from uneven weight distribution, but I think you could use cheap slides and add a piece of rod or something as a guide if necessary. If you look at the slide designs on this website, most of them are using cheap drawer hardware and seem to work okay. That said, if you can afford it, those linear guides are pretty cool...

As for light boxes/diffusers, I'll let someone who's done more scans offer opinions- and the answer is probably different for OCR than for other uses. Light box fabric is pretty expensive, annoying to build frames for, and not really necessary unless you're trying to be super-portable. Right now I'm playing with the plastic diffusers for office fluorescents (this kind of stuff: http://www.malcolite.com/index.php?id=9,4,0,0,1,0); but might end up with lots of little hot spots, I don't know yet. It's easy to find cheap/free, though, easy to work with, and looks nice. Another option would be frosted glass or plastic. I've done some reading that suggests plain wire mesh may also work, but don't really understand how/why- sure Dan has thoughts.

As for aluminum, it would look nice but isn't necessary, unless you're planning a HUGE platen, it's probably going to weigh under a kilo (maybe a little more if you put slides on all corners, but still not much); and you're not lifting it very high.

"door" = porte; mais "bearing" = http://www.firstscience.com/home/images ... earing.jpg et
"drill" = http://shopusafromja.com/library/dewalt_drill.jpg