My handle design for jradi

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

My handle design for jradi

Post by daniel_reetz »

I completed a new handle for jradi, at his request. Came out pretty nice.
IMG_9484.JPG
IMG_9484.JPG (48.01 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
IMG_9483.JPG
IMG_9483.JPG (46.79 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
IMG_9481.JPG
IMG_9481.JPG (38.96 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
IMG_9478.JPG
IMG_9478.JPG (41.44 KiB) Viewed 13728 times
daniel_reetz

Re: My handle design for jradi

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hmm. Looks like my images are a bit big. ;)
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

Bigger is better :) More detail!
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
james415

Post by james415 »

I feel like the electronics for this project are what people in the comments are having the hardest time understanding. Even though they could not be more simple, those who are unfamiliar seem to struggle. I was thinking about putting together a Mouser shopping list to make life a little easier for them and post a dead simple diagram.

Thoughts?

Cheers,
James
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I agree with you.

A Mouser list would be cool, but I'm thinking that even better would be some kind of dead-simple kit, or some commercial stuff that could all be plugged together. A lot of people fear soldering, too.

Still, a Mouser parts list plus a very explicit video should be enough. Get a sack of parts, put it together. Seems doable.

I know I could throw together twenty of these in an evening if I had all the parts in front of me and I didn't need to make the handle itself... just a switched USB thing that could fit in a Priority Mail box would be ideal.
jradi

Post by jradi »

Anything to make things easier would be great. I was pretty intimidated by the handle side of things. If it weren't for being able to get a handle from Daniel, I wouldn't have even tried to make a scanner.

Even after you figure out how to use a solder gun, the thought of ripping apart a usb hub and figuring out where to solder to, just didn't sound like it would be very successful.

Anyway, I'm a bit away from finalizing my project (I only have a few hours a week to work on it - and that includes the trips to the hardware store). Soon as I do, I'll post some photos. I tweaked the arm design by using some cheap pocket tripods strapped to an adjustable wooden arm. Adds about $20 to the project, but gets you the same flexibility as the 6DoA arms in a much simpler design (easier to make and easier to adjust).

The lighting was also a little tricky. I ended up going with the same task lights that most people bought - about $10 each at the hardware store. They're pretty flexible, can clip onto anything and direct in any direction, but the hood is a little big. After I get it working, I may replace that part too. I intend to have a desk dedicated to this device, and I'd eventually like to beautify/streamline it - it's actually an elegant looking device once you get it together.

The homepage for the site actually looks like something used in the space program or something! :)
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

I totally understand where you're coming from, especially with the hub guts observation. That is a lot of complexity if you're not used to rooting around in broken electronics. :)

When/if you get some time, you should definitely start a build log thread in the Hardware section! Chances are that you'll be the first. If I wasn't so busy setting this thing up, I'd start one myself. It would be great if everyone posted their own design and walked through the process however much was possible. But I'll forgive anyone for not having 79 OCD steps like I did. Heh.
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

PS. WELCOME! Glad to see you here.
james415

Post by james415 »

I will put together that parts list. Hopefully it will make life a little easier, as it will be new USB ports. Removing the salvage aspect should help out the non electronics types. I think I can find all snap together parts as well.

cheers,
James
jradi

Post by jradi »

Just got it in the mail today! It's a sweet switch, where did you get the mini usb board from? Everything else I can either place as having come from a radio shack or hardware store...