Noob question about HackerSpace scanner CNC plans

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

orekdm
Number of books owned: 300

Noob question about HackerSpace scanner CNC plans

Post by orekdm »

Greetings programs!

I'm new to this forum, but have been a maker for years. I've recently started to volunteer for the Friends of the Seattle Public Library which is a non-profit that takes old library books and community donations and sells them back to the community in seasonal book sales. As part of this process, we occasionally find interesting and culturally valuable out of print books that we are interested in scanning in to post to the Internet Archive. My personal interest is in preserving STEM materials from the 1930-1970's, much of which I consider in danger of being lost if not preserved soon.

I'm interest to know if there are any updated versions of the original plans. http://www.diybookscanner.org/DIY%20Boo ... %20920.zip

I've contacted a local CNC shop that has the ability to do MakerBot scale cuts and the owner there mentioned that the original DXF files would need to be updated to be CNC ready. Primarily that means separating the drilling and cutting into different layers. I figured I'd also ask in case that these and other small design tweaks have been made over time that aren't reflected in the original plans.

Thanks in advance.

Keith