Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Brainstorming about portable book scanners.

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
Cabe

Re: Brainstorming about portable book scanners.

Post by Cabe » 23 Jun 2009, 19:53

I'm desperately racking my brain for the supplier of a hinge I saw some time ago, it wasn't until someone mentioned clamping the edge I thought about it.

I cant remember the name, or for the life of me find anything like it online so I spun it up in Sketchup in the hope it will jog someone else's braincells.

The basic premise is that the "wings" clamp the glass like many standard glass door hinges and the circle in the middle is the pivot, the key being that it means you dont need to cut the glass nor have a hinge run the lenght which means the thickness of the gap where it joins is only big enough to allow for clearence. There were offset ones as well ostensibly ment for bi-fold doors which should allow you to fold a piece of glass (or acrylic/lexan/perspex/transparent aluminium alloy) back onto itself.

ImageImageImage

rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob » 23 Jun 2009, 20:14

Not exactly what you drew, but are these similar?
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.

Cabe

Post by Cabe » 23 Jun 2009, 20:31

ahh no, they are more like your average kitching cabinate hinge and need a hole in the glass to fix it.

Think that but instead of getting "between" the glass plates, it attaches to the short edge, rather than the long one that goes in to the crease of the book.

That but with a glass clamping mechanism. I'm getting closer :)

jradi

Post by jradi » 23 Jun 2009, 21:00

There are a bunch of them here:
http://www.hardwaresource.com/Store_Vie ... 5Qodp0w9Bg

Here's one that looks like it will hold a 90 degree angle nicely:

Glass Door Hinge, Non-Bore Inset

Finishes:

* Chrome plated
* Brass plated

Description:

o installs easily without boring through glass doors
o positive self-locking feature eliminates the need for magnetic or touch latches
o glass secured with large rubber tipped screw
o opening angle is 160 degrees
o hinge measures approximately 1-3/16" tall and each hinge wing is approximately 1-1/2" wide.
o for left or right hand installations
o glass thickness to 1/4”
o steel base material
o uses #6 round or pan head screws (not included). Uses 4 screws per pair of hinges.

Cabe

Post by Cabe » 23 Jun 2009, 21:13

In fact, they were on Rob's link as well, didn't realise there was more on that page. I suspect they would do the job nicely, thankfully some of us have working brains (hint, not me).

kentsin

Post by kentsin » 24 Jun 2009, 03:51

Will using macro mode of the camera better suite for a portable scanner?

If speed is not very important, can use only one camera?

suryandaru

Post by suryandaru » 24 Jun 2009, 07:30

Very interesting that we can discussing about the portable book scanner. I think making books scanner depending to size, thickness, old, and condition of the document. If document is only one in the world we must bring the scanner to the document not bring the document to the scanner. to avoid of risk to the document. so the portable book scanners. so there is a lots of kind the portable book scanner, depending of uses and user. for thick books, news paper, map. if we can share about what kind book scanner we made it can help to make everything better. By the way how many trees cut by student in the world every years for books. Perhaps the world more green.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 24 Jun 2009, 08:23

jradi wrote: Glass Door Hinge, Non-Bore Inset

These look to me like they're meant to hold glass on one wing, but to attach to a wooden cabinet with screws on the other.

Would it be possible to make a "fixed" version of this out of acrylic, that would not hinge but would simply slip over the two pieces of acrylic and hold them at a 90-degree angle? Possibly bore holes in the wings and the corner brace, and secure them with a locking pin?

The whole thing would store flat, and be assembled on-site.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 24 Jun 2009, 11:40

These look to me like they're meant to hold glass on one wing, but to attach to a wooden cabinet with screws on the other.
I wonder if you could get a right- and left-handed one of these, take them apart and make one with two proper sides?

McMaster Carr has some interesting hinges, like this locking one.

http://www.mcmaster.com/#rotary-hinges/=2ggjlh

As far as making stuff from acrylic, I can make pretty much anything with the laser cutter... when it starts working again. I discovered three days ago that it came from the factory badly misaligned and I've been working on it every night since.

Turtle

Post by Turtle » 25 Jun 2009, 03:12

You could get a couple of these 2 way panel connectors (with no moving parts) for cheap and put them together on-site. It locks the platen into place so it won't wobble.

You can use a portable cradle (probably from the Byzantine era) like this:

Image...Image

Next, mount your cameras on tripods. Place one camera to the left and the other camera to the right. For every three or four photos taken gently slide the cradle to the left. Some libraries may even provide a reading lamp inside a closed reading desk. I think this could work.

If all else fail, get a copy stand like this and assemble it on-site:

Only on books that can be spread, put a heavy glass on top of the pages to flatten them out. On thick books, put a cushion of pillow foam below the book (either below the left or the right side of the book) so that the pages will press flat against the glass.