Best non-DIY book scanners

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jpkeyzer
E-book readers owned: iPad: iBooks & GoodReader
Number of books owned: 0

Re: Best non-DIY book scanners

Post by jpkeyzer »

ilmarmors wrote: 20 Oct 2015, 02:24 ...
I personally have used Plustek OpticBook 4800, Plustek OpticBook A300, Avision FB2280E and Microtek XT-3500 book scanners. I have been wanting to write review for long time on each of them, because there is some aspects you can see only in real life.
I have just purchased a Microtek XT3500 specifically for scanning books to searchable PDF and would love to read your review of this scanner!
LauraKK

Post by LauraKK »

I‘m a students majoring in Chemical Engineering. I’m user of Czur book scanner(some people also mentioned it ;) ).
I’ve searched for an efficient book scanner for some time and Czur may be the fastest and most affordable one for me. Most book scanners in the market cost much more than my budget and are huge. Particularly, I’m fascinated by its speed. Honestly, I’m not patient person and scanning speed is an important consideration to pick up a book scanner. The actual speed of Czur can reach to 60-80 pages per minute.
I’m not sure if all scanners in the market generate the same results. Czur is able to restore the book pages,separate them into two sides and export into PDF document, which is very convenient to make ebooks.

However, it’s true that Czur is not perfect. The removal of fingerprints doesn’t work very well sometimes. Fortunately, you can see the preview on the software. When scanning glossy materials, the results are not very good. In such circumstance, I use extra lights.

Web: www.czur.com
qqmxdpo

Post by qqmxdpo »

LauraKK wrote: 11 Nov 2017, 05:55 I‘m a students majoring in Chemical Engineering. I’m user of Czur book scanner(some people also mentioned it ;) ).
I’ve searched for an efficient book scanner for some time and Czur may be the fastest and most affordable one for me. Most book scanners in the market cost much more than my budget and are huge. Particularly, I’m fascinated by its speed. Honestly, I’m not patient person and scanning speed is an important consideration to pick up a book scanner. The actual speed of Czur can reach to 60-80 pages per minute.
I’m not sure if all scanners in the market generate the same results. Czur is able to restore the book pages,separate them into two sides and export into PDF document, which is very convenient to make ebooks.

However, it’s true that Czur is not perfect. The removal of fingerprints doesn’t work very well sometimes. Fortunately, you can see the preview on the software. When scanning glossy materials, the results are not very good. In such circumstance, I use extra lights.

Web: www.czur.com
e xin le .laotie paolai zheli zuo guanggao..

so sick for me
qqmxdpo

Post by qqmxdpo »

.`````````````````````````````````````````
L.Willms
E-book readers owned: Tolino Shine

Post by L.Willms »

How about these: http://www.book2net.net/index.php/en/pr ... k-scanners
with this 71 Megapixels camera: http://www.mv.microbox.de/ or http://www.book2net.net/index.php/en/pr ... ion-camera
Sensor type | CMOS area sensor 71MP, electronic shutter
Sensor dimension | 10000(H) x 7096(W) effective active pixels

Far beyond of what this forum is about: Do it yourself...

an interesting feature, though, of this book scanner: http://www.book2net.net/index.php/en/pr ... ok-scanner
The platen is not lifted vertically from the book, but also moves to the back, getting out of the way of the operator touching the book in order to turn the pages.
aestetix

Post by aestetix »

Reading through this thread because I'm looking for an easy scanner to do relatively low volumes of stuff, probably something second hand. Shame that the Plustek 4800 is both expensive and unreliable.

Maybe I can get a Fujitsu ScanSnap SV600 cheap. I was thinking that it's ability to scan books could be improved by creating a glass platen in a 90 degree L shape, and then using it to scan one page at a time. One one page will be pressed flat by it, the other will be up in the air. A bit like a variation on this: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3401

But then again if you do that you might as well use a camera, considering the high price of the SV600.
BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Post by BillGill »

If you can spend some time building your own instead of buying one I would suggest for low volumes you could build my tower scanner (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3467&p=21845&hilit=tower#p21845). It is about as simple as it can get. When I built it that was what I was going for, something on the KISS principle.

Bil;
yindesu

Post by yindesu »

I found a place to ship the Microtek XT3300 to the US, but it arrived broken and now it's no longer available.

It seems the next option would be paying more than double that for a Plustek OpticBook 4900 from Amazon. On paper, it seems the same as the OpticBook 4800, with the exception that there does not appear to be a TWAIN driver for the 4900, and as a result of the proprietary software, the max dpi falls from 1200 to 600. I really hope the 4900 proves more reliable than the 4800 with those apparent limitations.