JakeGaisser Scanner: 1x1, 2x4, furniture, glass

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

jakegaisser

Re: JakeGaisser Scanner: 1x1, 2x4, furniture, glass

Post by jakegaisser »

I am scouring the web for a circuit that I can build that will have a 200ms delay and then a 1-1.5s pulse... I may just have to brush up on my electronics and design it myself, we will see. (I know I can get my desired 200ms delay using a 555 timer, I am just not certain how to create a pulse that lasts 1 to 1.5 seconds for the camera)

EDIT: I am thinking that a bosch style relay. with an appropriate sized capacitor could create the 1 to 1.5 second pulse. a relay works by only being switched on while the current is present... so if I used a capacitor that would hold enough juice for 1 to 1.5 seconds then that would cover that part.

Then for the 200-300ms delay so that I have time to properly seat the platern before it tries to take a picture, I could probably use a 555 timer...

I will have to do some experimenting.
Last edited by Anonymous on 15 Mar 2010, 18:21, edited 1 time in total.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I think you should get an Arduino. It's total overkill, but you'll have a load of fun with it. Get the ones from Modern Device company -- I use the RBBB in all my designs. They're like $11 or something, and really simplify stuff like this. In Arduino, the code to do something like this is painfully simple. To make it go for 1.5s on and 1s off, repeatedly, you'd do something like this
void loop()
{
digitalWrite(cameraPin, HIGH); // +5V on the camera pin
delay(1500); // wait for a second and a half
digitalWrite(cameraPin, LOW); // 0V on the camera pin
delay(500); // wait for a half a second just for safety
}
A 555 wouldn't be too bad. You want a monostable multivibrator circuit, I think -- from WIkipedia
When triggered by an input pulse, a monostable multivibrator will switch to its unstable position for a period of time, and then return to its stable state. The time period monostable multivibrator remains in unstable state is given by t = ln(2)R2C1.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

I may just get one of those rbbb arduinos. I have $0 monies right now though, so it will have to wait.
Afish

Post by Afish »

Can the problem be solved by simply using CHDK? That is will the camera fire on the first tap without a priming tap or a 1.5 second hold by using CHDK over SDM?
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

I am not certain of anything, I am using SDM. I have not used CHDK. and I don't really know all the features of either.
cratylus

Post by cratylus »

Am I correct in understanding that the cameras move (raise) WITH the platen in your design?
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

correct
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

having trouble figuring out how to go from images in a left and right folder efficiently to a nicely formatted ebook.

After you guys take your pictures and you have a folder full of pictures for your left and right cams... where/how do you go from there?

I do not really need OCCR, the images look great and are easy enough to read. I would like to get them all perfectly rotated so that sentences are all perfectly horizontal and then also cropped and then finally put into a PDF file.

I would like to get these three things done with as little fuss as possible.
StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling »

jakegaisser wrote:having trouble figuring out how to go from images in a left and right folder efficiently to a nicely formatted ebook.

After you guys take your pictures and you have a folder full of pictures for your left and right cams... where/how do you go from there?
I copy everything to one folder named Left and another folder named Right. The next step is really lame: what I do is look at each image, rotate it from Windows Explorer, then rename it according to its page number. (Preface pages are often in roman numerals and the book proper is in a restarted numeric sequence, I number all preface page numbers from 00001.jpg and all body numbers from 10001.jpg.

Tedious as all get out, but when I image the pages I sometimes double-shoot a page and this step to remove dupes. Yes, I should write a tool to rotate the image, show the part of the image with the page number then rename the file to what I type (or delete the file as a dupe). And automatically increment the last number I typed by +2. I suppose this step is where I should calculate DPI, too.

After I've renamed and rotated all image files in both directories, I move all the files to a single folder I call "Pages." This is what I input to Scan Tailor.

From Scan Tailor, I get a mass of clean images that I put into one big PDF file. If I OCR, there's a lengthy cleanup process that doesn't bear thinking about. If you want a nicely formatted ebook, get a beret and a cigarette holder then apply "design" to your cleaned up OCRed text file.
jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser »

I have scanned tons of books using the book scanner, so far no ill affects of using the PC ATX power supply to power the cameras and push button.