Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

JakeGaisser Scanner: 1x1, 2x4, furniture, glass

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
jakegaisser

Re: First Scanner, 1x1, 2x4, old furnature piece

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 11:45

I have found some pulleys that I can make work. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/D ... mber=92305

we have a Harbor Freight in Olympia (45 mins from) I will be going to get a couple packs of them today.

ACTUALLY!!! Lightning just struck! I was thinking that those pulleys sure would be nicer if they had a bearing instead of just a shaft, then I had an idea! I am going to take some roller skate wheels and dremel out a V shape in them

Turtle

Re: First Scanner, 1x1, 2x4, old furnature piece

Post by Turtle » 11 Mar 2010, 12:25

Good idea of skate wheel, I figured this was what you were gonna do, so I drew a picture. You see, if you do it this way the upper platen wouldn't wobble and twist as much. The drawer slide just moves at the same time so they won't bind and get stuck.
pulley.jpg
pulley.jpg (18.5 KiB) Viewed 3986 times
Other thoughts. It would be preferred that the sand bag is equal weight to the upper platen. It would be preferred that there is a pulley on both left and right side. It would be preferred that the clown foot is stepping on a wooden bar. Much like a kid's wooden swing (but it's not needed, a V shaped rope line is fine.) The Archive's scribe bookscanner project uses a foot system so it works. You can eat while you scan.

jakegaisser

Re: JakeGaisser Scanner: 1x1, 2x4, furniture, glass

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 12:45

You're picture closely resembles the idea I have in my head for how I am going to do it.

what I am going to do is have a pulley for each side toward the top of the supporting uprights for the slider board, and then another lower one on each side, and then the cables will clip/meet together at a O ring fastener with a single cable that goes to a foot lasso. but the concept of your drawing is more or less what I had planned :mrgreen:

I actually had planned to counterweight it per side, but a single weight under the table like your drawing may work better, I will have to try both.
Last edited by Anonymous on 11 Mar 2010, 12:58, edited 1 time in total.

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 12:55

finished up the basic battery remote trigger yesterday.
Attachments
25.jpg
usb header from a computer case, momentary switch/button, a car cell phone charger, and a battery pack from who knows what.
25.jpg (68.75 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 13:08

I also finished mounting the light yesterday, right now two common every day use bulbs are used.

are the halogen floodlights that much better?
Attachments
27.jpg
lighting.
27.jpg (54.91 KiB) Viewed 3983 times
26.jpg
lighting.
26.jpg (50.18 KiB) Viewed 3983 times

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 19:43

What is everyone doing about the reflection from the adjacent page?? I used it to scan in about 20 or so pages and I get the reflection of the adjacent page in every picture.

more pictures, this morning progress, everything is finished except the pulleys, going to find some used skates.
Attachments
30.jpg
black sheet support
30.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
29.jpg
29.jpg (55.28 KiB) Viewed 3967 times
28.jpg
28.jpg (56.22 KiB) Viewed 3967 times

Turtle

Post by Turtle » 11 Mar 2010, 23:35

jakegaisser wrote:what I am going to do is have a pulley for each side toward the top of the supporting uprights for the slider board, and then another lower one on each side, and then the cables will clip/meet together at a O ring fastener with a single cable that goes to a foot lasso. but the concept of your drawing is more or less what I had planned :mrgreen:
So, you're gonna run the cables directly under the table. Sounds good. Yet, I drew another picture of a front view. I have to stop racing ahead of what you're about to do but the more ideas the merrier. :) The weight has to be kept in one point and kept from swaying so hopefully it will balance the platen on each side. To do this, I couldn't think of a solution but to add another slider right in front of the scanner. Two ropes meet at one point and attach to the slider (the red dot in the picture.) Because if the weights bob back and forth then that may lead to seizing problems.
roller2-.jpg
roller2-.jpg (24.45 KiB) Viewed 3960 times
jakegaisser wrote:What is everyone doing about the reflection from the adjacent page??
About the reflection issues. This reoccurring problem was solved long ago in this forum. There are so many back post so I cant recall what the solution was. :|

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 11 Mar 2010, 23:53

YEP! thats the idea I came up with when I thought of skate wheels. I actually picked up some skates today from the super thrift store in town.

but without that extra slider :mrgreen: I dont think there will be any issues, it already glides VERY smooth, but I took some all purpose marine greese and rubbed down all the tracks with it REALLY good :ugeek:

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 12 Mar 2010, 07:09

got the skate wheels set up all finished. going to be painting EVERYTHING black tomorrow, I will try and take pics after its all finished drying.

I ended up counter weighting it on the sides it was just easier. it turned out FLAWLESS, it glides so VERY well now. I went with 2-1/2 lbs per side, and the platern is still heavy enough to lower itself. I tried it with 5lbs per side and it would stay stationary where ever I stopped at, which would probably be ideal if I were using a handle to lift and lower it, but since I am using the foot lasso I want it to be able to lower itself. :mrgreen:

jakegaisser

Post by jakegaisser » 12 Mar 2010, 19:57

Our glare problems are now resolved. We painted everything black and created a shroud/enclosure for both cameras with just a peep hole for the lens eye.
Attachments
32.jpg
32.jpg (74.68 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
31.jpg
31.jpg (81.77 KiB) Viewed 3923 times