Beta number 2

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

georgio

Beta number 2

Post by georgio »

Inspired by Cratylus and his Beta build.

Part 1 of my progress on the actual book rest and lighting and all that stuff.....

I found a piece of MDF slightly damaged on a recent dumpster dive trip.

I realized that the PVC is spaced out too much. Need to fix that :P

All i need to do now is grab the drill and epoxy some glass.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: Beta number 2

Post by daniel_reetz »

Yeah! The Beta Build is hella inspiring. I keep thinking I need to build one myself just to see how it works. Did they tape the glass like that at the place you had it cut?
cratylus

Post by cratylus »

Hey, cool design!

Here's a tip for epoxy... tape off the glass with blue tape leaving only 1/4" exposed on the edges. Then, apply the epoxy to the taped-off glass (and not the MDF). Lay it on thick because the MDF'll soak it up. Peel off the tape and you'll be left with a perfect 1/4" bead of epoxy. Finally, apply the glass to the MDF halves.

Also, and this is just for consideration... getting the PVC lined up correctly on my build was tricky. If you search back to the original Beta Build thread, you'll see I recommend a slightly different assembly at the top utilizing a threaded rod and nuts to help combat this.

Also, also... if you haven't yet painted the pipe bases yet, I found alternate bases in the electrical section that might work that are 1) flatter and 2) slightly cheaper.

Also, also, also :) ... are you going to incorporate a mechanism to account for the "spine location" (not sure what to proper terminology is) moving laterally?

Joel
georgio

Post by georgio »

cratylus wrote:Hey, cool design!

Here's a tip for epoxy... tape off the glass with blue tape leaving only 1/4" exposed on the edges. Then, apply the epoxy to the taped-off glass (and not the MDF). Lay it on thick because the MDF'll soak it up. Peel off the tape and you'll be left with a perfect 1/4" bead of epoxy. Finally, apply the glass to the MDF halves.
Thanks for the platen tip

I was wondering how i was gonna pull it off, but i knew i was gonna think of something eventually. Cool, i will just use the blue tape Lowe's gave me.

2) Well what i ended up doing to the bases was gluing them on to the PVC, this way they would have a tight grip. So i think I'll go ahead and use them in this design.

3) I did not think of adding a "spine allocator thingy". What i was thinking of doing was going ahead and having the book rest sit in a permanent position. Is this a good idea??
Or should i really consider having that feature added to my beta???
georgio

Post by georgio »

daniel_reetz wrote:Yeah! The Beta Build is hella inspiring. I keep thinking I need to build one myself just to see how it works. Did they tape the glass like that at the place you had it cut?
Yes Dan Lowe's was kind enough to cut it for free and made sure it was safe for the trip home.
cratylus

Post by cratylus »

georgio wrote:3) I did not think of adding a "spine allocator thingy". What i was thinking of doing was going ahead and having the book rest sit in a permanent position. Is this a good idea??
Or should i really consider having that feature added to my beta???
I would say that it's a definite must. Otherwise the center of the platen and the center of the opened pages will not align. You can see what I mean at about 1:00 in this video...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgiPaSOeP2w

In my build I utilized a subbase mounted on drawer slides mounted on a basebase. I don't think I documented it very well in the PDF writeup. Someone else stuck furniture slides to bottom of their book rest halves and that seemed to work also. There's probably a million ways to skin the cat.

I posted a photo so you can see what I mean. http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... 4&start=20

Now, maybe somebody could tell me how to link a URL without having it spell out the whole address! :)

Great score on the MDF! Keep us posted!

Joel
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

cratylus wrote:Now, maybe somebody could tell me how to link a URL without having it spell out the whole address! :)
Write a word.

eg "WORD"

Select the word you just typed.

Above the posting box, there is a gray box which says "URL".

Click that box. The word you typed will now be surrounded by URL tags

{URL}WORD{/URL} (but the brackets will be square brackets)

Now, put the URL of interest in like this:

{URL=http://urlofinterest.com}WORD{/URL}

CLick submit. WORD!
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Any progress on this, georgio? I'd love to hear how your Beta is coming along...