plastic and computer fan version of google linear scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

scann
Number of books owned: 0

Re: plastic and computer fan version of google linear scanne

Post by scann »

I wonder if it has the same problems that Google's linear scanner had...
dtic

Post by dtic »

Someone in the hackaday comments linked to another linear scanner, with a german project page
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Zl4ribN0IM
http://www.bookscanner.gg/
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

It is awesome to see cheaper and diy versions of this coming out. This is a design that would be fun to tinker with if I ever get some time. I have heard some crazy ideas that I want to implement. One person I talked to had the notion of inverting it, suspending the scanner above the book rather than vice versa. And somebody else had the idea that you might be able to avoid the page tears by finding the right scan speed instead of moving it back and forth so quickly.

Scann, were you talking about the occasional page tear that I hear the original had? Or were there other issues I hadn't heard about?
scann
Number of books owned: 0

Post by scann »

They had an "ocassional" page tear that seemed that it wasn't that ocassional, so maybe in a book they had five pages teared out. I think Daniel commented on this when the first posts about this project appeared in the forum.

My guess is that, as usual, it might be a good idea to use this kind of machine for a different type of book. Instead of those rare and unique books that you want to preserve, maybe it's something to use with more common books that you don't bother if five pages, four or two are ripped off.