MY first attempt of a bookscanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

austintilly
E-book readers owned: lamina
Number of books owned: 0

MY first attempt of a bookscanner

Post by austintilly »

Hi Guys,

I'm new to this forum, but am using scanning equipment for my work for many years. This equiment is ment for letters and not for books. Therefore I was looking for a way to scan my military manuals. Thanks to this forum I was inspired to make a simple bookscanner to scan. It's a very basic design, which can be folded. I just used a phone on a stand. The stand was made from a stand of a portable photostudio and the top of a selfiestick. The wood are leftovers form a roofrenovation and board was also free. Books with a size of 30cm x 40 cm can be placed on this scanner. For the scanner I have two pieces of plexiglass to make sure the pages are pressed down.

For scanning I used the androis app Tinyscan. With this app it's possible to select the page before saving. Also it's possilble to re-arrange the pages. So I scanned all even pages first and re-arrenged the pages after scanning the uneven pages. It's took some to scan the first booklet of 100 pages, but the result was very satisfying.

I hope I'll be able to make a better scanner with two cameras. For now this will do and I would love to hear some feedback.

Cheers
Arjan
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: MY first attempt of a bookscanner

Post by duerig »

This looks like a great simple build. The thing that jumps out to me is that the angle of your cradle is adjustable. Is this just a side effect, or do you find an advantage to scanning different books at different angles?

The trickiest thing about this build is that it looks like you have to re-align your phone/camera each time you remount it to the tripod. In order to maximize quality, you probably want to come up with a mirror and some guides to make this quick and precise. I made a guide on doing this for the Archivist (see http://tenrec.builders/archivist/camera-guide.html for details), but you could do the equivalent with your scanner build as well. Just come up with a way to quickly tape a mirror to the middle of your cradle wing.

I'll add on of your photos to the gallery on the diybookscanner.org when I get a chance to update it.

-D