The New "Standard Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Mathue

Re: The New "Standard Scanner"

Post by Mathue »

New images!

I'm close to done with the counterweight and assorted mechanania.

Since my platen is quite thick (3/8" cast acrylic) it also has got a fair bit of weight. To make scanning easier on the arm it HAS to be counterweighted. It's been a slow process. The stumbling block has actually been what to use for weight. I had originally thought #12 lead shot was the way to go, too pricey though especially with shipping and I didn't find anyone local who had it at a reasonable price either. Next idea, cast iron exercise weights. They worked but they were rather inelegant. Back to the idea of a weight, I constructed a box from 1/4 ABS then tried cutting open the flexible weights you put on your hands and feet. Easily bought, in this case Target. No lead though, it appeared to be reclaimed iron oxide (possibly ground up from cars or any old steel). Then I found rotometals.com, they had lead that made sense! A few days later 6.6 lbs of lead rod showed up. I cut the rod using my bandsaw and plopped the bits into the weight box. As I refine things more I may make a different, smaller counterweight box for the lead since there's clearly quite a bit of dead space inside the box currently.
Attachments
scanner counterweight 506.jpg
(456.25 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
scanner counterweight 507.jpg
A simple extra pulley mount constructed from 1/4" ABS.

The pulley itself is actually a roller used on sliding patio doors.
(328.75 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
scanner counterweight 505.jpg
(364.1 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
scanner counterweight 504.jpg
A shot inside the weight box showing the two pieces of lead rod.
(249.75 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
scanner counterweight 503.jpg
Side view of the weight. The slight bend in the hanger is deliberate, done so that it self-centers on the 'cable'.
(245.55 KiB) Downloaded 748 times
Mathue

Post by Mathue »

Here is a shot of the handle and Reetz Switch installation.
Attachments
scanner 510.jpg
I used the handle that Daniel supplied with the switch, but made a slight alteration on how it's attached. The wire travels up the left front to a brass hook, which then is strung across to the left camera mount and then down to the base.
(291.36 KiB) Downloaded 723 times
mutantstrain
Number of books owned: 1200

Post by mutantstrain »

Ok I figured something out that I think the group can use. I bought the Ricoh CA1 and the motorola Y splitter, (thinking maybe the one Dan bought was perhaps bad). Well, Daniel is right the Motorola Y splitter does not work. :oops:

However, After some splicing, the red wire from the CA1 goes to the red wire on the motorola, the black wire from the Ricoh should then be soldered to the Shielding (the outer wiring) and not the black. Everything else can be ignored. Hope that helps.

So in summary Ricoh red --> Motorola red. Ricoh black --> motorola shielding. Thats it.
:)
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

thanks, mutantstrain!

jackhooks, are you a spammer? you sure look like one.
rob
E-book readers owned: iRex iLiad, Kindle 2
Number of books owned: 4000

Post by rob »

I've deleted jackhookss. More info in Social.
The Singularity is Near. ~ http://halfbakedmaker.org ~ Follow me as I build the world's first all-mechanical steam-powered computer.
mutantstrain

Post by mutantstrain »

Curious Daniel ...

Do you find you are slowed down by the pulley system vs the hinge? What seems nice with the new scanner is that the pressure is more evenly distributed across each page, and I would imagine that there is less shifting and skewing of pages during the process.

If I had the time I would make another one, but right now I am doing fine with what I got ... should post some pics soon. I just used tripods for the camera supports. In some ways I think tripods are better because there are no vibrations on the cameras, and I can slow down the shutter speed to 1/20th second to get a low iso and stopped down aperture.

Thanks really for this. Before finding your plans I was considering the ATIZ, but at $5k ...well ...
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

I haven't really noticed much of a speed difference in any system I've made so far. The Instructables scanner design was really finicky to set up, so there was some time lost there, but otherwise, no, things have been pretty good. Wish I had more to offer here, but generally, they've all been pretty fast.
mellow-yellow
Number of books owned: 1

Post by mellow-yellow »

Regarding MutantStrain's post above (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... t=80#p3894), could anyone provide an image or explanation for an electronics novice? He wrote, "So in summary Ricoh red --> Motorola red. Ricoh black --> motorola shielding. Thats it." Based on the electronics here (http://www.sakeoftruth.com/2010/04/usb- ... ject-pt-1/), I wonder if he means this:
Attachments
Ricoh CA-1 and Motorola Y-Cable Charger Adapter P000 (Mini USB /Mini USB)
Ricoh CA-1 and Motorola Y-Cable Charger Adapter P000 (Mini USB /Mini USB)
Ricoh-CA-1-and-Motorola-P000.JPG (51.11 KiB) Viewed 11613 times
mutantstrain

Post by mutantstrain »

mellow-yellow wrote:Regarding MutantStrain's post above ....could anyone provide an image or explanation for an electronics novice?
Well, heres an idea for you. Plug the mini usb's into a camera. Leave the wires exposed on the other end. Take the exposed wires from the RIcoh, ( Yup, I had to cannibalize the Ricoh. :ugeek: ) and experiment with placing the black from the RIcoh to either the black on the usb cable OR the shielding. Red stays with red. What I found is that on one cable black stayed with black, yet on another mini usb it will go to the shielding. Hope that helps. I've already soldered and covered all my connections so I can't show you a picture.

I really do not think you have to worry about frying anything. Turn the camera on. Turn the ricoh on and press the button. If you get focusing and shutter release ... viola! If not, try again another way ...
mutantstrain

Post by mutantstrain »

mellow-yellow wrote:Regarding MutantStrain's post above (http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... t=80#p3894), could anyone provide an image or explanation for an electronics novice?
Looking at your picture, you will need to expose the aluminum foil ( or wire mesh) that surrounds ALL the wires ... THATS the shielding.