The New "Standard Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Re: The New "Standard Scanner"

Post by daniel_reetz »

1/4 seems thick to me. I think maybe Spamsickle and Rob have made platens that thick? I really prefer 1/8" glass, and I've never used tempered, only the so-called "double strength" glass from hardware stores.
maddoc600

Post by maddoc600 »

Hi Everybody!

I'm about to start building this scanner...

I'm a medicine student so I'll use it to scan my books and sometimes atlases.

My problem is that very often they are quite big... A2 size (420 × 594cm) or 16.5 × 23.4inches

How should I modify the size of the scanner? Could somebody give me some hints?

I'd like to have 2 platens (one A2 and one A3)
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

The biggest thing will be modifying the platen and cradle to support those books. I'll try to offer more advice later, but you might try just building a cardboard cradle to hold your book and check that the camera distance is sufficient.
Moonboy242
E-book readers owned: iPad, Netbook
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by Moonboy242 »

For texts that large you may want to consider purchasing a single sheet of acrylic and building a single camera scanner like JJJM did here http://www.diybookscanner.org/forum/vie ... ?f=1&t=395. I use 1/4 in acrylic from Loews Home Improvement that comes in sheets 24in x 36in. It would take a bit longer to scan one half of the book and then the other, but if you manage your workflow to create pdf files by chapter you could do it bit by bit. Also, a standard tripod would suffice to mount the camera.

The books you are possibly going to scan may be too large to justify a specific build. Not impossible, but unwieldy. :)
iPad: Over it. Android FTW.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Mathue wrote: The platen I'm using was built first with the idea that it would be one of the more important parts. It's overbuilt and will be moved to the next stand when I've learned what I need to know from this iteration of the "New Standard Scanner" design.

It has been fabricated from 3/8" GP cast acrylic (Chemcast, though Cyro would be better). All joints were pin glued, routed, wet sanded and then polished with red and then white jewellers rouge.
Any photos of your improved platen??? I'm about to start building my version, and I'd like to incorporate as many improvements as I can.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Well, finished building my version of the Standard Scanner...came out pretty well and am quite satisfied. Just waiting on installing SDM on the cameras, and I should be up and running by the weekend. If you're interested in checking out my photodirectory of the build, go to:

http://www.kodakgallery.com/gallery/sha ... s-_-Sharee

You might get some ideas or you might offer some suggestions.
univurshul

Post by univurshul »

clemd973 wrote:Well, finished building my version of the Standard Scanner...came out pretty well and am quite satisfied.
You might get some ideas or you might offer some suggestions.

AWESOME WORK! Clean shop, dry weather, laser-guided saw and a drill press!? -DIY LIVES!!
bnz

Post by bnz »

Hello everyone,

this is my first post. This community is absolutely fantastic. I am very interested to build my own scanner - I hope to have some spare time during the holidays just to have the possibility to have my important books on my iPad. I am wondering though: the instructions for the "new standard scanner" is this thread or is there actually something like a PDF that is maintained with respect to the suggestions and changes made here? The last time I checked, the PDF from the front page was declared as outdated, but I can find no new PDF. So am I correct with the assumption that I'll have to work through the forum to gather the suggestions and improvements made upon the initial forum posts from Daniel?

Ben
daniel_reetz

Post by daniel_reetz »

Hey Ben,

As of right now, this thread is the most updated documentation for the New Standard. I *do* plan to make a PDF of it someday, but for now, the best thing you can do is read this specific thread and work through it.

Your question made me realize that I need to have a link to all the New Standards that people have built here, so everyone can see the improvements that the community has created.
bnz

Post by bnz »

Hi Daniel. Thank for answering that quickly. I am wondering whether a collaboratively maintained wiki wouldn't be a good idea to maintain the build instructions.