The New "Standard Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Re: The New "Standard Scanner"

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

Okay, so I was showing off the switch to a friend and I don't know why but this time the while the cameras still didn't prep at the same time a slight pause will allow them to fire at the same time.
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

That's normal. Think of it this way - the cameras need a moment to do autofocus, autoexposure, etc, and the time is dependent on what they're looking at and what state they're in. So you press them once to "prime" them, which takes a random amount of time, and then they sit and wait for the "fire" signal, which, after priming, is instant.
Qanthelas
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 0

Re: LET'S GO SHOPPING.

Post by Qanthelas »

daniel_reetz wrote:...
Glass -- Home Despot doesn't sell this, as far as I know. I went to a local Republican hotbed, Scheel's Hardware, and grudgingly blew six bucks on two 11x15" pieces of "Doublestrength" glass. Be sure to specify "doublestrength" so you get the tough stuff. I also bought these screws there because I forgot them at Home Despot.
I went looking around at the Home Depot by my parent's place in the Portland, OR area and found that they do now sell glass and acrylic sheets. I took some pictures with my phone (but, as you might guess, taking pictures of sheets of glass is a bit tricky ;)) I tried to get as much information from the label/sign for the item in the picture as I could. Basically it looks like (at least at this Home Depot) they don't just have huge sheets that you can get a custom size cut from but they do have a few different sizes of a few different types of materials available.
The options are somewhat limited, but here is one of the larger pieces - 12 inch X 16 inch glass at 3/32 inch thickness.  Note the pricetag on the side - about 3 and a half dollars for a sheet.
The options are somewhat limited, but here is one of the larger pieces - 12 inch X 16 inch glass at 3/32 inch thickness. Note the pricetag on the side - about 3 and a half dollars for a sheet.
Here is one of the larger acrylic sheets I could find.  Note that this is 0.93 inches thick and 11 X 14 inches and it is not frosted, that's just a film on it that you take off when you go to use it (it protects the sheet in transport and such.)
Here is one of the larger acrylic sheets I could find. Note that this is 0.93 inches thick and 11 X 14 inches and it is not frosted, that's just a film on it that you take off when you go to use it (it protects the sheet in transport and such.)
I think this is about the cheapest option available.  This is non-glare Styrene (from what I can tell from skimming the Wikipedia article, this stuff is probably a polystyrene, a 'cousin' of rubber and based on an organic compound also known as vinyl benzene.) I am not quite sure how thick this stuff is and it is just shy of a normal 8.5X11 inch sheet of paper.
I think this is about the cheapest option available. This is non-glare Styrene (from what I can tell from skimming the Wikipedia article, this stuff is probably a polystyrene, a 'cousin' of rubber and based on an organic compound also known as vinyl benzene.) I am not quite sure how thick this stuff is and it is just shy of a normal 8.5X11 inch sheet of paper.
copy paper

Post by copy paper »

I just finished my New Standard Scanner! I haven't painted it yet but it operates perfectly. My triggering switch is ordered and on the way. A huge thanks to Daniel Reetz and Clemd973! It's basically stock except clemd973's goosenecks and I used glass instead of plexi.

I built it to scan textbooks to be read on an iPad 2. I'm thinking I'll use adobe clearscan, PDFs and PDF Expert on the iPad, as markup ability is important to me. If anyone has any suggestions software-wise let me know.

Once again, this is a really cool community and I'm proud to now be a part of it!
daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz »

Congratulations on a great looking build! I really appreciate you helping out oh31p in his thread... and please let us know how the scans come out...
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Great Job!!! I'm looking forward to some test posts. Also, let me know how the glass works re: glare issues, etc. Once you get to the software/image-processing stage, forward me your workflow. I'm interested in seeing where you go from there. Mine goes along as follows: image from camera --> Adobe Lightroom 3 --> ScanTailor --> Acrobat Pro X for compilation and Clear Scan. I read mine on my iPad. You can download and test a couple of my books if you want here and here. If I can help you in any way, just let me know. Best of luck!!!

By the way...what kind of cameras are you using?
copy paper

Post by copy paper »

I'm using some cameras I already own- a G11 and an SX10IS. But they 're frequently used for other things so I may eventually buy some dedicated cameras for it. I ordered a trigger from Frans van de Kamp and it works gloriously. I'll be scanning my first real project soon, I'll keep you guys up to date. I'd be curious about your scan tailor settings, I haven't played with it yet.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

copy paper wrote:I'd be curious about your scan tailor settings, I haven't played with it yet.
It's pretty user friendly, and in addition to myself, I'm sure most people on this forum can give you a few hints, etc. I've just re-connected my scanner after my move. Now just looking into making some adjustments in the lighting scheme. Should be scanning in a week or two.
caelum

Post by caelum »

I've just been reading this thread and love the final result of this build from Daniel's with improvements. I just experienced my 'first' scanner build today, and boy does it have alot left to be desired, as they say.
Well, made the cardboard wedges, just like Daniels instructions. (I'm low tech here due to lack of understanding what all you smarter guys do. :)
Anyhow, my tripod is way too large, so first off will need a smaller one. Also didn't have the perfect lamp (too small to arch properly), so adjustment and after adjustment, if you know what I mean, I got started.
Put a shroud around it, to keep out reflection and had to work under the shroud with lamp to turn the pages, and keep the camera in the viewfinder.
Let me just say, my back sure had a workout after 180 pictures ! whew But man to see those scans after, wow ! And under an hour for all of them too. Whoohoo!

Some of my pictures are skewed (which is dissapointing) and for postprocessing I'm using Graphic Converter as it seems to fit with most of what I am doing.
Rotate pages, clean up and go black and white. I have trimming to do too, but not sure I can fix the skew with GC.

Anyhow, long story short, I was wondering is it possible to buy one of these scanners made by Clem or Daniel ?
Just a basic unit with the electronics in place and proper lighting and camera mounts ? Maybe an display too, and just tabletop use.

I just would like a unit made of more than cardboard that can hold a setting so I don't get a crooked neck trying to do a set of scans. :)

I'm serious, I"d be willing to pay for a set up like this (well not that money is NO object) but just as I have no friends that are carpenters or any carpenters that are friends, it would be a big favor for me to a build from someone. ?

Am I just wishful thinking ?

If someone wants to contact me offlist for this, (not even sure how to do that LOL) but let me know.

Thanks,
~Caelum
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

caelum wrote: Anyhow, long story short, I was wondering is it possible to buy one of these scanners made by Clem or Daniel ?
Caelum, I'm sorry you don't have any carpenter friends, or friends who are carpenters...it really does come in handy. :) And to think Daniel even has a laser cutter...how cool is that??? Anyway, I told my carpenter friend we should do just what you suggested, but he didn't seem too interested as he has other obligations, etc. Even though you don't have carpenter friends, it really doesn't take a carpenter to do this. All you need is the proper power tools to make it go more smoothly. This post and others like it should give you every insight you need if you do your homework. You might know someone with a table saw, a radial arm saw, and a power drill who can help you. At the very least, I think you could get away with doing this project with a power drill and an old fashioned saw...2 tools, and you're set. If I run across anyone who would be willing to build this, I'll let you know.