The New "Standard Scanner"

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Drake Ravensmith
E-book readers owned: Kindle 3
Number of books owned: 0

Re: The New "Standard Scanner"

Post by Drake Ravensmith »

I agree with Clemd. I have no carpenter skills and I managed to get the dang thing built mostly by myself. I did have my wood cut for me but that was it. If I can do it anyone can muddle through.
clemd973

Post by clemd973 »

Drake Ravensmith wrote: I did have my wood cut for me but that was it.
You know, if you buy your wood from Lowe's or Home Depot, they'll probably cut it to size for you if you do your homework and bring a list of measurements with you. Buy a cheap cordless, or corded, drill and all you need is the hardware.
Gastrophete

Post by Gastrophete »

Careful though, where I live, Home Depot and Lowe's will only guarantee the accuracy of their cuts to 1/2" and will not make the diagonal cuts. However, Lowe's will cut the glass or acrylic that you need to whatever size for free. I purchased a 24"x36" sheet for about $7 and walked out of the store with two 11"x15" pieces (plus some scrap!).
Hope

Post by Hope »

Drake - I've had my cameras for two months. My handy dandy son was going to build this for me but he has been very busy with work. You have inspired me. I think I'm going to see how far I can get using Daniel and Clemd's instructions. I have never built anything before but I really want a book scanner and I've read every post. (The software and firmware don't scare me - just power tools.) I wish there was a separate topic on the forum for newbie dumb questions because I don't want to clutter up the forum with comments like this. Thanks, Judy S.
Drake Ravensmith

Just start a build thread. You can clutter that up all you want!
jlee

Post by jlee »

Hello Folks,

Thank you so very much for this great community. Learning a great deal. I am about to start my built and have a few quick questions.
Qanthelas wrote on page 13:...
Here is one of the larger acrylic sheets I could find. Note that this is 0.93 inches thick and 11 X 14 inches and it is not frosted, that's just a film on it that you take off when you go to use it (it protects the sheet in transport and such.)

My local Lowes have this only, and wondering if any one has used it and whether the resulting pictures (scanned image) are good or not.

My Lowes also doesn't have both the 14" drawer slides and keyboard slide, so I picked the 16" ones. Would these cause major problems? The nearest Home Depot is 2 hours drive away.

Clem, where did you order your microphone goose neck extension from? Also, when time permit, can you please go into more detail of your post camera processing steps?

Thank you in advance.
Drake Ravensmith

Using longer drawer slides isn't a problem but you will have to allow for the extra room in your base. You can find the gooseneck extensions here but I would try the fixed camera mounts first as I am having the worst time trying to get the image perfect since the extensions don't like micro-adjustments but do like to vibrate slightly when the platen is in motion.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... details&Q=
jlee

Post by jlee »

Drake,

Thank you very much for your prompt support on this. I am very excited on this project and can hardly wait till I get started, but I know better to wait till all questions are cleared. So thanks again.
Using longer drawer slides isn't a problem but you will have to allow for the extra room in your base.
Does this mean that I need a longer base than the 22" figure? If so, would I be safe to go with 24"? If not, what might be a better figure?

How about the column, do I need a taller column to adjust for the longer drawer slide as well? if so, would I make the bottom portion longer than the top as it seems that the drawer slides goes onto the bottom portion.
...do like to vibrate slightly when the platen is in motion.
Wow, haven't thought of that. Thanks for sharing. Have you checked with Clemd to see if he's found a solution to this? I sure hope so because I would like to get as perfect an image as possible. Or do you think this perfect raw image is that critical --- to "decrease the keystoning" as Clemd mentioned?
Drake Ravensmith

diybookscanner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1028

I'm not sure if you've seen my build thread or not but my pdf has a lot of useful information in it. Both Clemd and I stress that 22" is not wide enough to begin with. If you have the space you can go as wide as you want but I would image with 16" the minimum length would be 28". Since the platen won't be moving up any higher, the column height should remain unchanged. By the bottom piece, I assume you're asking about a split column and I honestly couldn't answer that without seeing where the screw holes line up on the pieces you'd be using. Since 2x4s are so cheap have a few extra pieces so you can experiment.

As far as my vibration goes, it's a very slight problem. Usually the cameras are just rotating along the mounting screw and I'll notice, for instance, that the page number is creeping further down the pic and I can just stop for a second and rotate it slightly back. Since I have such excellent preview screens (I don't use all four, that was just to prove it works) it's such a minor issue that I never even thought to ask Clemd if he had the problem. I have more of an issue accidentally bumping the things if I have to reset the manual focus. Changing them back to where I had them is difficult because they don't like micro-adjustments. I find that I have to over-tilt them, let them settle back slightly, and see where they end up. I would strongly suggest that you try Daniel's fixed camera mounts first. They're cheap, simple, and easily replaced if you find them inadequate. I'm too lazy/unmotivated to make some after dropping all that money so I couldn't say for certain.

Raw images are everything. I use Abbyfinereader 10 Pro because it is highly recommended and just like everyone will tell you, OCR programs are not perfect. I find it to be somewhat font sensitive. I'm currently scanning a book which inexplicably will change ('I, 'I'm,'I've, etc) to (i, i've, i'm etc). Almost always on right side pages. The spell check catches them and it's an easy fix but there are still the dropped quotation marks and other odd mistakes. Experience tells me that I find that only mildly distracting so I live with it. I've also been unable to find the 'perfect' camera position but I'm satisfied with my results because I don't need absolute perfection. Depending on how bad your OCD is you may want to put more work into it. Either way, the better the raw image, the better the result. For a 250 page book, I usually spend a little over an hour or so in Abby on average. I can something is wrong if it takes longer. Lastly, If you find you have a bad image (out of focus or whatever) even if it's just one, reshoot it. Manually fixing a lot of little mistakes on one page eats up time like there is no tomorrow.

As far as my prompt reply goes, I'm always happy to help if I can.
jlee

Post by jlee »

Drake,

Thanks again for the link to your build and for all the info you provided. Been enjoying reading your build and most likely will generate more questions as I am exploring.

As with the 28" base you suggested, would this lead me to have a higher camera mount post as well? i am thinking that with the wider/longer base (depends on how one look at it), the center would have changed from the standard 22" recommendation by Daniel, what do you think?
By the bottom piece, I assume you're asking about a split column and I honestly couldn't answer that without seeing where the screw holes line up on the pieces you'd be using.
Yes, I am referring to the split column. When you said "screw holes", are you referring to the two main bolts that hold the column together or the screw holes that attach the drawer slides to the column?

Glad you shared more post camera processing info. I had the simplest idea that once taken the pictures, one would just change them to pdf format, but from your post here and Clemd's brief mention in his build, this post camera process seems involving more detail works. From you experiences, is the OCR step a definite necessary process? Again, the simple process of going from raw image to PDF may not work then? Thanks again for helping out this noobie learn as much as possible prior to starting my build.