a small story for my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

a small story for my scanner

Post by Konos93a »

dear people .hope to not put your eyes out with my bad english .

before almost 2 years i had to make a project for a technological Educational Institutestarted thats how google translate it.so i made a diybookscanner .

i had no experience .didnt know anything about programms, electronics and made the biggest mistake to not ask anybody anywhere anytime about problems that i had in this project ,and only searching i the forum informations cause i didnt want to look kind of noob. it took me 6 months to cut and assembly the diybookscanner with 1 hour per day or anytime i caught the project again with any new idea.
it took me one week to make the mechanical trigger for the cameras (2 nikon L29) .

so imagine that after i build the scanner i try to find and figure out how the hell works programm like abbyy and scantaylor(i discover the experimental before 2 weeks and i already had scanned almost 40 books).
it took me a whole week to use and unterstand how to rename the pages. i was sad almost depressed cause i thought that this was the end cause i could find any information about how to rename the pages right (now i use filerenamer)

i discover before 2 months that with a specific zoom the result is better and bought 2 tv and 2 a/v cables for my cameras the result is a pdf 52 mb,zoom f4.9,ppi = 420 before scantaylor and suggest from abbyy 520 ,ppi= 600 after scantaylor and suggest from abbyy 880

a book with 600 pages takes me 3 hours due to mass proceessing .i will try to use 2 a3300 with twocamcontrol to reduce the time. i have scanned 50 books and continue.

anyway .i have read books i couldnt afford .give people scannedbooks that couldnt find the prototype

and i just wanna thanks the community. cause u boys n girls enter me on a world with github,arduino,python, linux ,electronic libraries and hackerspaces. and is a new world for me that i like .an open world for anybody anywhere anytime. the books will be for anyone or they will get dirty in libraries.

have a nice day and thanks again
Last edited by Konos93a on 28 Nov 2016, 09:25, edited 1 time in total.
Konos93a

Re: a small story for my scanner

Post by Konos93a »

oh how do i upload a photo Image
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

how delete my post?
used paint to put near the images
------- example 1nikon L29 16 mp ,zoom f3.2 final pdf 19mb, 39 image= left camera 40 image =right camera

ppi=420 from camera .ppi = 330 suggested by abbyy Image
ppi=600 after scantaylor ppi= 440 suggested by abbyy Image

--------- example 2 nikon L29 16 mp ,zoom f4.9 final pdf 52 mb, 55 image= left camera 56 image =right camera

ppi=420 from camera .ppi = 550 suggested by abbyy Image
ppi=600 after scantaylor ppi= 880 suggested by abbyy Image
Scanallthebooks
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Scanallthebooks »

This is just great man. 6 months? Wow, what a project! Much respect, I myself got fed up just trying the basic cardboard scanner (specifically after encountering the keystoning problem) and shifted to destructive scanning. Best decision I ever made. :lol:

But one tip: stop with this "noob" nonsense and never be afraid to ask. If you do a fair attempt at finding and answer and just can't figure it out, don't get frustrated. Just ask and you will be amazed how willing people are to help.
duerig
Number of books owned: 1000

Post by duerig »

This looks great! I would agree that you should feel free to ask any questions you come across. But judging from your results, it looks like you have the whole process figured out. Well done on a great build.

-Jonathon Duerig
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

thanks a lot .
i remember the first big book that i try to scanned it was one for the sociology of education burdie ,parson and others.it was 750 pages. i missed many pages, more than 200 i was like :shock: .i was thinking how the hell people dont lose pages. and how they name the right page the right number and put them in a folder and everything is fine.

the last month i scanned 16 books which was almost 7000 pages and missed 25 pages .when i capture photos i made and listen .mp3 from videos of this site http://www.blod.gr/lectures/Pages/viewl ... ureID=3154 (honestly does anybody know anything similar in english not like tedx more than 1 hour and like day conference). i concentrate to the talk and the clics of cameras and watch the numbers of pages

due to this project i contact with people from hackerspace.gr .so i gonna build diybookscanners for them ,for political spaces and librarys. in hackerspace.gr a team of arduino project are gonna build https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qk-3pKmnsN0 .

i peronally try to learns arduino and python.
i wiil try to use spreads with 2 a3300 camera in ubuntu or fedora and when i finish learnpythonthehardway will try to make a script using twocamscanner scantaylor and abbyyfinereader
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

------------konos93
which gpio pins i need in raspberry 3?
how to use them?

i have the original power supply for raspbery
pi scan with battery on cameras seems to work perfect.
i used a power supply with 4,5 volts and 500 mA ,pi scan disconnect the cameras .
if my a3000 canon need 4,3 volts will a power supply with 4,7 volts an 2250 mA will be ok?
cause with 2250 mA and 4,7 volts seems to work perfect
how can i set chdk withour firmware update?
can pi scan be faster?
in any case you have done a great work its more comfortable for me .thanks alot

------------------@duerig

I think you may have gone off the rails a bit. Do not apply voltage to any GPIO pins. The only power that comes onto your Raspberry Pi is via the micro USB power cable. Hopefully you have not shorted out a pin or damaged your Pi.

If you want to trigger the cameras via the pins, all you need is a switch. The Pi Scan software detects when the two pins have a connection between them or not and then triggers the cameras just the same way as when you tap the 'capture' button.

So, here is what to do:

(1) Have a switch (or just touch two wires for testing) connected to GPIO21 and GND. See http://tenrec.builders/quill/guide/electronics/pedal/ for photos of which pins. These are the two closest pins to the USB port side of the board.

(2) Turn on the Pi and navigate to the capture screen. The trigger is ignored except when on the capture screen.

(3) Short your two wires or close your switch.

As for your other questions:

Pi Scan uses the software control interface to talk to the cameras. It does not do the USB power reset trick. So there is no special voltage requirement here.

If you want to use an AC adapter to power your cameras, you should look up the particular camera battery pack and try to emulate it exactly in terms of voltage and amperage. I know that some people have done DIY solutions, but I just purchase adapters that are made by others. I use HQRP brand adapters quite a bit and they are pretty reliable (only one dud so far, and it just didn't work rather than caused voltage problems). So look on their website or on Amazon to find adapters that match your cameras.

To set CHDK without a firmware update, you need to make your disk image bootable. There are a number of tools linked on the CHDK website that will do it for you. I'd try out one of those. After you make it bootable, you need to lock the SD card by flipping the physical tab on the left. You will know you succeeded when you turn on the camera and immediately see the CHDK splash screen.

Pi Scan can be made somewhat faster by making sure that the external storage SD card or USB allows for high write speeds. If things are going slow, this is a likely bottleneck. At its fastest, Pi Scan can usually take a pair of photos every four seconds or so which is about as fast as I can turn the page and set up the next shot. To maximize your workflow, get into the flow of starting to turn the next page as soon as you hear the click of the cameras. If you are waiting for each processing cycle to complete before starting to turn the next page, you are scanning half as fast as you could be.

I hope this helps.

--------------------konos93

thanks a lot for the answers. i used nikonl29 with mechanical trigger ,manual zooming,putting out sc cards to pc ,rename images and set cameras again. but sometimes i was scanning like less than 4 sec with this method.

now with canon a3000 and pi scan my scanning is easier to use by someone.
with mechanical triggers you had to have your mind clear like a thibet monk to understand if you have took a photo or not .

If i want to trigger the cameras via the pins they will work like i was pressing space right?
for raspberry i use the original charger 5.1volts 2500 mA.
for cameras i took two canon batterys nB-6lh cut them ,kept the electronic board and the plastic they have. find how to set the voltage and connect them to a 4.5 volts 600 mA. didn't work well with pi scan.so i connect them with 4.5 volts 2250 mA and is fine.

--------- if you can please tell me if you set a multimeter in your battery simulation how exactly voltage do you see for your cannon cameras?

i will use a dc-dc buck converter and set them 4.3 volts and 2250 mA to see what happen.
but i am afraid they will cant take the volts they need cause with with dc-dc buck converter 4,3volts and 600 mA. i see a voltage drops under than 3,6 volts. camera starts but stuck and turn out.

for chdk i set it bootable .i already had a full version so i follow this and worked.you are very helpful
--- enter the CHDK menu, and select Miscellaneous stuff -'> SD Card' -> Make Card Bootable
Turn your camera off, write protect the SD card by moving the little switch on the side of the card to the locked position, insert the card back into your camera. Note that CHDK will cause the camera to ignore the lock switch so that you can take pictures normally. ---

so i will try know spread pi,spread and see which is fastest. got stuck with shh connection. i will ask a fedora guy in hackerspace to help me

in any way, have a nice day cheers and thanks a lot again
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

-------------konos93
konos93 commented 2 days ago • edited

if capture photos first and after many pages copy them in storage will the capture only process will be faster?cause i think 3 sec will be fine. how difficult is it to be made?

why some images cant recognised in image folder?do i do something wrong?i think the capture point of these "blank" images is white.

i deleted image folder but page doesnt count from 0000.should i delete something else?

-------------------------@duerig
Contributor
duerig commented 10 hours ago

In my experience, the fastest cycle for both the human and the Pi Scan setup is about 4 seconds per capture. It is possible that you could make it a bit faster by leaving the images on the camera. But I've found that with a decently fast SD card for external storage, Pi Scan almost always keeps up with my page turning as it is now.

It might be a bit faster to use TwoCamControl if you have access to a Windows computer and a fast hard drive.

Make sure you haven't corrupted your external storage. Try re-formatting it before your next scan. This will clear everything off of it and fix any filesystem corruption. Make sure not to take out the external storage disk or turn off the Pi unless you are at the 'Pi Scan 1.0' screen and the text says it is ok. If you take it out or turn off the Pi at other times, it can corrupt it just like taking any disk out of a computer without ejecting it.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

the battery adapter that i use NB-4L to power supply Image