a small story for my scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: a small story for my scanner

Post by Konos93a »

test jthomas scanner .didn't use liveview so i needed to rescan .many pages needed recapture because i have moved my hands while capturing.
so i did some modification to this before a month to use the weight .didn't still use it due to orthopaedic surgery i had . i think jthomas scanner with this way is workable .
and faster to set it like this with a chair

distance between glass -smartphone lens is 180 mm,
that inspired me to set this kind of unwooden scanner .
calibrate plexi glass -camera lens ankle with a mirror .
have liveview with vysor app on laptop.
capture with audio trigger selfie stick .
selfies stick holder on silicon-pad to be stable.
smarphone with screen face the bottom . a smartphone case cover the screen not to get scratched .
table is there so i don't have in my view light source.
12 euro the plexiglass 400*300*10 mm no holes needed
or this

i will test it as soon as i can but i think that it will be workable and it is possible to use 2 smartphones one for each page so it will be like a flat scanner but with smarphones .

i also design this Image but i think if someone is gonna buy 2 cameras and have the patience to cut and assemble wood better try daniel scanner

for the designs above use dtic did this https://autohotkey.com/boards/viewtopic ... 42#p246242 to be honest couldnt set it work

this link is the designs with invenor and autocad format https://www.dropbox.com/s/3j7qmeuyrg5tb ... r.rar?dl=0
dpc
Number of books owned: 0

Post by dpc »

i also design this
Interesting design. You could make it fold up like a step ladder and make it easier to store away. Those black triangular pieces (light shields?) could be made from black fabric instead to allow the framework to fold.

You may want to consider making the glass/plastic platens sit on top of the framework (at least on one side) so that the book can be slid off the side of the platens to flip it over and turn the pages. That's easier on the book and your hands than trying to lift it off the platens every time you turn a page.
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

a friend of mine asked me to scan a A4 book. i wanted to see the best distances glass -camera and if the zoom scale affect the results.
so i unscrew this panel of a cupboard which has a window

and put it in 2 chairs

then place the camera in a pillup of cd roms (books can also get used)

calibrate the camera (model canon a3300)

calculate with a meter the distance and capture a bunch of photos this is the best i made , the suggested dpi is 510 since is quite difiiclut to black and white a book with many colors and more than 800 pages i gave this book in a folder of 800 mb

did the same with xiaomi redmi 5 plus . suggested dpi 350

of course even if the suggested dpi is bigger rather than the 580 dpi of a normal book in the 2 camera diybookscanner the results is not neccesary better due to the curve on the middle . the results is not so much visible in color mode but in b&w results

in A4 books with the same press in the middle results use to be better

So a scanner of 2 smartphones camera can be made without the need of cutten wood . the results can be enough good but 2 camera diybookscanner will always be better with the right ankles of the light and the best glass-camera distance . personally for a4 books i will use the methods above till i made some changes in my scanner because i cant hit this dpi resuts for a4 books.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
something more for smartphones users i found while using smarthpones

method 1
use this site airdroid dont know what happern after 2 weeks but you have liveview ,capture photo from pc and download (the quality differ than the one r with a bluetooth or audio trigger the camera).

method 2
crab an old router and use app screen cast and firefox to have liveview .(vysor wasnt good enough) you still can have acces indside your dcim/camera if you press f5 every time an image is get add

method 3
could not set it work but i thinks here is the beginning for somebody who wants to try it
for more android and python users check this to make something like capture and download and after that please share your work
this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wMlCucwGvE
drivers found here https://developer.android.com/studio/command-line/adb

and this man did this https://gist.github.com/me7/12ad7c823a1 ... b4fcd72b87
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
whantd to do something like that

folder name = This computer \ Redmi 5 Plus \ DCIM \ Camera

Number of images1 = measures number of photos * jpg

Unless you hit Esc
click inside the folder \ Redmi 5 Plus \ DCIM \ camera the button F5
Number of images2 = measures number of photos * jpg
If Number of Images1 <= Number of Images2
Do not do anything
go to the beginning of the Loop
Otherwise

Number of images1 takes value Number of images2
close all Windows viewers
double-click on the last image
go to the top of the Loop without leaving the Windows viewer from the desktop
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

if firstly edit images with abbyfinereader dpi get increased but because it is scaling not neceserary the quality is increased .If someone check letters in zoom carefully in the same size will see same results . with a good camera calibration straighten text lines is not necessary . but curves of the pages can get reduced . also 2 diybookscanner camera has better light ,you can chect the corners of the contct to see that

canon a3300 640 dpi after abbyfinereader straigthen text lines and scan tailor advanced

canon a3300 530 dpi after scan tailor advanced captured on 2 camera diybookscanner

xiaomi redmi 5 620 dpi after abbyfinereader straigthen text lines and scan tailor advanced

canon a3300 880 dpi after abbyfinereader straigthen text lines and scan tailor advanced .with a little bit smaller distance it can hit 1010 dpi

canon a3300 640 dpi after scan tailor advanced captured on 2 camera diybookscanner
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

well i tried to make some changes on scanner but it dint work out . i was trying to put as nearest as it could the lens on a page with zoom so could increse the clarity. from suggested 550 dpi at 33 and 37 cm lens-camera distance and 6 number zoom scale ,could increse them to 620 at 55 and 58 cm lens-camera distance and 9 number zoom scale. for left and right camera
and the reason is that glass-camera distance was 55 for the left and 58 cm for the right to fit in the same crop. so if on the glass put a mirror so from the centre look the lens was very difficult from this distance to calibrate to be exactly opposite. because with the zoom was look to get very close to the page calbration should be perfet. it isn much different where the camera will centre if the same degrees change from the 40 cm and from the 60 cm so i end up that this effort wasnt worth it and put the cameras the way it were before

i also create a video with a scanner that a smartphone scan both pages on a book

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mR2TQOHEDYc[/youtube]
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

a friend bought a camera sony a6300 miroless 24 mp

i connect via wifi with smartphone and had livevew and trigger camera here is the calibration

here is a book via liveview

here the photo i capture

here with scantailor advanced

here a4 book via liveview

here the photo

and b&w

here a4 with both photos

here b&w
dpc

Post by dpc »

Thanks for posting your progress. I took one of the images that you posted and reduced the number of levels in Photoshop to reveal the uneven lighting you have across the pages. In the image of both of the book's pages, the light looks as if it were pointed at the lower half of the page:
2PpmMjC_2.jpg
cday

Post by cday »

dpc wrote: 26 Apr 2019, 21:51 Thanks for posting your progress. I took one of the images that you posted and reduced the number of levels in Photoshop to reveal the uneven lighting you have across the pages. In the image of both of the book's pages, the light looks as if it were pointed at the lower half of the page.

A 'levels' adjustment is a powerful tool for displaying unevenness of illumination, but in the absence of some form of scale it doesn't provide absolute information. Your chance to create the 'DPC Illumination Evenness Scale'...

Konos93a's processed images do look quite impressive already, which is not to say that there might be some benefit in refining the illumination used. :D
dpc

Post by dpc »

You're correct. We don't know how much brighter the light is at the lower edge than the upper corners, only that it is brighter. What I wanted to make apparent is that in that image the light is brighter near the bottom of the page and that distinctive circular pattern across the various levels indicates that the light is pointing at the bottom portion of the page rather than the page's center.

A large part of why his final images look good with that lighting is that he's scanning black text on a white background. If he were scanning colored pages, or trying to capture gray scale gradients, the lighting problems would be more apparent in the final image.

It's also interesting to note the amount of bleed-through from the text/images on the backside of the page in the areas where the light is brighter vs. the darker (less lighted) area of the page. Question: Does more light pointed at the top surface of a page reduce or increase the chance of bleed-through from underneath?
Konos93a

Post by Konos93a »

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOT8Uo_ ... e=youtu.be[/youtube]

this is a failed experiment for autopage turner scanner.
1 it takes 2 or more page each time ,
2 many times page get crumpled
3 is difficult to set the right position on the panels so the pages get more than once each time.