Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

AP's Book Scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
aplumb3000

Re: AP's Book Scanner

Post by aplumb3000 » 19 Mar 2010, 17:07

I agree, that's a great design. However, these machines will go through MANY cycles so I built anything that I could stationary (like the camera mounts, why move the camera all over the place when you can just center the book). I think that a properly thought-out cradle and some triangle-shaped shims would be a nice solution for those who want to scan a very broad range of book sizes. I'm confident that if you put bearings on the shaft of my machine that it would probably last over 10,000 cycles easy without any repairs or adjustments. Remember; building the scanner is fun, scanning books and carrying them around on your e-reader is fun, but constantly working on your machine is not fun. = My 2cents.

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 19 Mar 2010, 17:15

I'm with Steve; the one thing that really stuck out at me was your cradle design. Prism-shaped bits will work, but continuous adjustability (a-la my new design) is really nice when you've got a lot of different-sized texts. Still, with my first scanner I just used pipes of different sizes seated in the center of the cradle, it worked OK.

StevePoling
E-book readers owned: SONY PRS-505, Kindle DX
Number of books owned: 9999

Post by StevePoling » 19 Mar 2010, 20:23

Another argument against adding prism-shaped bits to the crotch of fixed-v book cradle is that they impose a z-axis translation to the pages. In a perfect world, all the geometry between the page, the optics and the imaging plane remain fixed. If the spine of the book is at a fixed z-axis, that's one less adjustment you have to tweak when you set up to scan that book.

spamsickle

Post by spamsickle » 20 Mar 2010, 18:50

I'm still using the "pipe" solution, and as Dan says, it works okay. There's no Z axis for me, because my cameras are attached to the platen.

One of these days, I'm sure I'll upgrade to the awesome adjustable 2-part cradle, but I'll probably have a few dozen (& maybe a few hundred) more books on the hard drive before that day comes.

I try not to let the quest for perfection stop me from using what's adequate.