simply / bulid in few hours good quality book scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

bartek158
Number of books owned: 0

simply / bulid in few hours good quality book scanner

Post by bartek158 »

Hello
This is easy to build DIY book scanner and some sample pages made by it. If somebody is interesting I can measure this device and make plans. The one thing I would like to improve is the mount of cameras.
Attachments
0015R.jpg
0015L.jpg
P1120128.JPG
P1120131.JPG
P1120130.JPG
P1120129.JPG
murgen
E-book readers owned: Kindle
Number of books owned: 1000

Re: simply / bulid in few hours good quality book scanner

Post by murgen »

It is heavy book manipulations. There are consequences :

- This cannot be a fast process.
- the book will move every shot. you must have proper positionning marks or visual control of the shots so that to perform corrections.
- many operations on the book. I would consider this for old book, as it may weaken the binds.

having said that, your build as one enormous advantage : it is small and can be operate any time anywhere.

but there are other build using single camera positionned on the top of the book which share this property and do not require to reposition the book every shot.
bartek158
Number of books owned: 0

Re: simply / bulid in few hours good quality book scanner

Post by bartek158 »

Hi Murgen
It's take 6 min to scan 100 pages , my best result is 4:34 / 100p.
There is some element which let to keep book always in the same position ( on photo) but of course there is more operation to do to turn next page.
Yes It is pocket size :) (37x34cm and 40cm height)

I was testing single photo build an it is ok when I read directly on PC.
On the "spine" of book was always distortion and OCR ( Finreader) have big problems with this. I usually use OCR and then Speech2go to make audiobook.
Attachments
scaner dystans.jpg