Daniel Reetz, the founder of the DIY Book Scanner community, has recently started making videos of prototyping and shop tips. If you are tinkering with a book scanner (or any other project) in your home shop, these tips will come in handy. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn0gq8 ... g_8K1nfInQ

Original ~600pg/hr, very portable scanner now achieving ~900pg-1100pg/hr

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.
dtic

Re: Original ~600pg/hr, very portable scanner now achieving ~900pg-1100pg/hr

Post by dtic » 17 Jun 2017, 09:17

Nice job with this script! I quickly glanced the most recent code. One tip: You can detect most installs of GraphicsMagick with a function like this.

Code: Select all

get_gm_path() {
;search install folders for gm.exe , since gm updates risk break registry filepath lookup
prog := StrReplace(A_ProgramFiles, " (x86)", "") ;Program Files path in any locale
Loop, Files, % prog "\GraphicsMagick*" , D
 binpath := A_LoopFileFullPath
Loop, Files,  % prog "(x86)\GraphicsMagick*" , D
 binpath := A_LoopFileFullPath
if FileExist(binpath "\gm.exe")
 return, % binpath "\gm.exe"
}
The path can also be read from the registry but GraphicsMagick updates have at times broken that feature so I use the above type of lookup instead.

Mohib
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mohib » 17 Jun 2017, 11:16

dtic wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 09:17
Nice job with this script!
Thanks, but really it's all interface window dressing, and a few useful enhancements, to the half a dozen lines you provided that are the guts of the original scaling process.
dtic wrote:
17 Jun 2017, 09:17
One tip: You can detect most installs of GraphicsMagick with a function like this.
Brilliant. I've updated the script to try the auto process, and fall back to the hard-coded path if the auto detect fails.

; V2.4
; -- Changed -- Try and automatically find path to GraphicsMagick executable
. .

Mohib
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mohib » 29 Jun 2017, 13:28

I just posted an interesting observation, I had not realised before, about scanners which fix the platen's x & y position relative to the camera position (like many (all?) V platen scanners) as compared to TIFLIC, which does not fix it.

Essentially, since the TIFLIC platen is not fixed relative the camera, neither is the book and so smaller books, with smaller type, can be positioned in the centre of the camera's field of view (rather than being forced to one side as with fixed platens) so the camera to be zoomed in unitl the page fills the image (which is not possible with a fixed platen/camera design).

This means for smaller books -- like paperbacks which often have small type -- fixed platen/camera designs don't allow the full resolution of the camera to be used to image the page, which of course reduces the image quality of small pages if you have to enlarge them to see them better and/or also compromises OCR quality of smaller type on smaller pages. So this maybe an important consideration, when choosing a scanner design, if one is scanning a lot of small books with small type (like paperbacks)

Full details and schematics showing the issue here:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3430&p=20751#p20751

daniel_reetz
E-book readers owned: Used to have a PRS-500
Number of books owned: 600

Post by daniel_reetz » 13 Aug 2017, 10:10

Great work on this design Mohib. As I mentioned in the other scanner inspired by your scanner, I think the elastomeric page retainer idea is really cool.

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a » 04 Oct 2017, 12:34