Original ~600pg/hr, very portable scanner now achieving ~900pg-1100pg/hr

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Re: Original ~600pg/hr, very portable scanner now achieving ~900pg-1100pg/hr

Post by Konos93a »

https://github.com/Tulon/scantailor/releases

i thought preprocess resized images with your script the results was better than image scaling with scantailor.
sorry i never mention scantailor experimental

anyway sometimes we have to make many mistakes to solve an issue and more of them till we find solutions ,this is experience . :geek:
Mohib
Number of books owned: 0

Post by Mohib »

Konos93a wrote: 16 May 2017, 18:09 i thought preprocess resized images with your script the results was better than image scaling with scantailor.
Really? Perhaps then it's good there are two solutions and people can test which seems to work best for them when looking at the original files on their computers.

I think, however, there is one advantage of pre-processing and that's the images are all to the correct scale going into ScanTailor which may help it do a better job, and eliminate different scales on different pages, i.e. so title, copyright and other unimportant pages can all have the same scale as the actual content pages of the book.
Konos93a wrote: 16 May 2017, 18:09 sorry i never mention scantailor experimental
I don't think it was anyone's fault. Just everyone being human! LOL
Konos93a wrote: 16 May 2017, 18:09 anyway sometimes we have to make many mistakes to solve an issue and more of them till we find solutions ,this is experience .
Exactly. Lots of discoveries happen by accident (and now we have a useful file-numbering script if nothing else)!
puramoca021
E-book readers owned: 1
Number of books owned: 2000

TIFLIC v2.1 Scanner in Zurich, Switzerland

Post by puramoca021 »

After long and hard labour - I can humbly announce birth of yet another TIFLIC V2.1 scanner! Thanks to Mohib and his excellent manual, I am now proud owner of this nice, portable single-page book scanner.
Scanner assembled for photo session
Scanner assembled for photo session
Attached to this message are picture of entire assembly, minus rubber pad. I plan to cut it properly for purpose one of these evenings.

The only deviation from Mohib's design is position of barrel nuts in platen handle. In spite of having vice, I could not hold 45° elbow joints in it to drill holes parallel to platen edge. In my case, holes are PERPENDICULAR to platen's edge. Barrel nuts are, according to design, kept in place with wire. However, I decided to add additional "security" - small rubber bands.

Also, platen is slightly larger than Mohib's specification - 40 x 28 x 1 cm. This is to compensate loss of width caused by different position of barrel nuts.
Platen, assembled
Platen, assembled
Handle detail, 45° elbow joint with perpendicular hole
Handle detail, 45° elbow joint with perpendicular hole
Platen handle detail, barrel nut held with rubber loop
Platen handle detail, barrel nut held with rubber loop
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

That looks superb!

Love the black PVC. Did you paint it or was it that colour? I couldn't get black, but it's better as it will create less reflections.

The perpendicular barrel nuts work just fine too. As for the safety rubber bands, if:

a) you've the wire cable is looped around barrel nuts, and

b) they can't slide out of the holes (i.e. they protrude far enough that if the handle shifts left to right (in your case) they won't pop out of one of the holes),

it should be impossible for anything to fall apart, especially if you've got the cable length just right so it's tight and pulls the barrel nuts upwards. Then, when you tighten the bolt through the platen, it will sort of pull the barrel nuts against the cable and tighten it even more (you need 0.5-1mm of slop in the hole so the barrel nuts are free to be pulled down a bit by the bolt).

Looking forward to your experiences using it!
puramoca021
E-book readers owned: 1
Number of books owned: 2000

Post by puramoca021 »

That looks superb!
Thank you! :)
Love the black PVC. Did you paint it or was it that colour?
PVC is actually dark grey colour. That is the only kind of PVC I could find. Honestly, I did not look much around - this PVC looked OK for purpose of building platen. Now I am looking at handle under room light and it indeed looks almost black, but in daylight, it's very dark grey.
if you've got the cable length just right so it's tight and pulls the barrel nuts upwards ...
To be honest, problem is that I think I could have tightened wire loop a bit more, but I was tired and did not want to destroy perfectly made handle. Once I get more time and patience, I will disassembe platen and re-tighten wire, removing black rubber loop.
Looking forward to your experiences using it!
I will report my experience as soon as I scan first book :)

I also had to lenghten horizontal threaded rod - 9.156" is really short, so I decided to cut 25 cm. This length is now OK.
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

I've updated the image scaling/page numbering script to be more useful and flexible, no matter what type of scanner you have:

- TIFLIC style single camera scanner with variable platen/camera distance,
- regular single camera scanner with fixed platen/camera distance
- dual camera scanner.

It also sports a new interface to make it easier to use!

Essentially these are the new features in v2.0 (I've tested all options and combinations and pretty sure I've got them all working properly, but if you run into any bugs do let me know):

; V2.0
; -- Bug fix -- Scaling between first and last page was adjusting the scaling spread over 1 step to many pages.
; -- Changed -- New user interface
; -- New -- Option to process images produced by single to dual camera scanners
; -- New -- Option to choose page numbering and scaling, or just page numbering
; -- New -- Option to normalise zoom of between the left and right pages if camera zoom settings are/were not identical for both sides.
; -- New -- Option to upscale or downscale images
; -- New -- Option to indicate if have or don't have calibration images
; -- New -- Update page numbering to process left hand pages for dual camera scanners
Image scaling and left+right page numbering script - 2.0.png
Image scaling and left+right page numbering script - 2.0.png (25.24 KiB) Viewed 12840 times
The new script and instructions are in the attached PDF. I've also done away with the "page number only" script to simplify maintenance, as this version includes an option to do page numbering only.
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

I just noticed the dimension for the Lamp Extension pipe and its threaded rod on the schematics is wrong. It says 3" length, but it should be 4.5".
2017.04.16 - 004 -  TIFLIC Book Scanner (V2.1) - Parts List + Schematics.png
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

v2.1 of the page numbering and scaling script ...

Now displays the progress bar in the application window and makes for a better, more natural experience.
Processing-right-hand-pages-v2.1.png
Processing-right-hand-pages-v2.1.png (28.28 KiB) Viewed 12797 times
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

V2.2 of the page number and scaling script ...

; V2.2
; -- Bug fix -- Properly sequence missed pages scanned later
Mohib

Post by Mohib »

V2.3 of the page numbering and image scaling script (attached below) ...

; V2.3
; -- New -- Option to use multi-processors

I finally got around to trying dtic's suggestion here: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3401&start=30#p20573 to use Run instead of RunWait to allow multiprocessing. After some tweaks to the code I got it to work and it obviously runs very fast (your computer may not respond too well during processing, so I made an option).
. .
Image scaling and left+right page numbering script - v2.3 - Multi-processor.png