I built a new scanner

Built a scanner? Started to build a scanner? Record your progress here. Doesn't need to be a whole scanner - triggers and other parts are fine. Commercial scanners are fine too.

Moderator: peterZ

BillGill
E-book readers owned: Calibre, FBReader
Number of books owned: 7000

Re: I built a new scanner

Post by BillGill »

That sounds like one way to go. Of course I"m not sure what I would do with 20 connectors.

However, I have just realized that I personally have a different way. This depends on the fact that I have another camera, which I use as my main picture taking camera. It is a Sony RX10 m2. You can download software from Sony that will control the camera. Also it has a separate video output connector, using a Micro HDMI to HDMI cable. And if I decide I can live without the software control I can use an old fashioned remote cable connected to the activation button. You may recall, the flexible cable that extends the push button however far the cable you choose reaches. I already happen to have a cable release that will fit, so I may already have all I need. The only extra step will be to transfer the pictures from the camera to the computer.

The Sony is not necessarily a good choice for a lot of applications. It is too expensive to buy 2 of them for a 2 camera system. But it should work. It might even be a better camera for taking the pictures of the pages. It should have a much higher image quality.

Bill
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

dpc wrote: 14 May 2017, 13:30
Konos93a wrote: 14 May 2017, 07:31 i send an email on sparkfun for the HTC ExtUSB 11 Pin USB Connector with Breakout .
they told me that there is no more this type of connector in the market so they could not produce more.
The connectors are still available though. This may work if you're steady with a soldering iron.

well i send an other email on sparkfun telling them that if they have only the boards cause i found connectors . they answered me that :"" As I look at the build, we did not even make this board, we just resold it.So sadly, we do not have the eagle files for you to make a copy.Sorry this is just to old to bring to life.""

well personally i have 2 canon a3300 using them with pi scan and i go about 900 pages per hour.
i want more so maybe i will use this ""http://www.ebay.com/itm/TF-Micro-SD-To- ... 2084033724 "" and ask duerig if i can go faster if cameras keep the photos on their sd cards.

if i am not satisfied with the speed ,i will try on to make an electronic trigger and try to be careful with the polarity.
maybe i will try the 11 pins connectors .using them to an old camera cause i dont wanna fry mine.

Billggill
do you have issues with the reflections of the mirror?
when you can upload photos of some pages writing the zoom
BillGill

Post by BillGill »

I'm not particularly interested in how fast I can scan. I am digitizing books from my personal library, and most of the ones I am digitizing are old paperbacks. That means that even with a good quality scan (which is hard to get from and old paperback) there is still a lot of editing to do before I get it converted to an EPUB format. It takes me around 2 weeks to convert each book, and I have plenty of time to work on it. That means that I don't gain a lot of time by speeding up the scan process. 300 to 500 pages per hour is plenty for me.

I'm not sure what you mean "reflections of the mirror". I haven't noticed anything, it isn't located so that it reflects on the platen, it just gives me a view of the display. That is enough to let me check the registration and the status of the capture.

Here is capture from my last book, using the single camera set up. I'm not sure what the zoom level was. I used the camera zoom tab to zoom in until it seemed to be about right. When I was using my old 2 camera set up with pi-scan I was mostly using a pi-scan zoom level of about 4. I expect that it is in that same range.
IMG_0010.JPG
In this picture you can see that I got the capture right down into the gutter. That is much better than I was getting with the old 2 camera system.

Bill
Konos93a
E-book readers owned: kobo aura,kindle 1,kindle pw3,pocketbook inkpad 2
Number of books owned: 3000

Post by Konos93a »

hi BillGill i thought that the mirror is used to watch the lcd screen from the camera . you are trying to see if the page was out of the centre of the screen right?

sorry for my question the english are not my native language. i was guessing that mirror located in a place that it reflects on the platen

if you don't wanna keep the pages with your hand take a box of shoes with something a little bit heavy inside and a big book with hard cover
BillGill

Post by BillGill »

I now have a piece of plywood with a handle on it so that I can use that to flatten the pages against the platen. I think that will work a little better with paperbacks which may have kind of limp covers. I may keep thinking of a way that I can do it automatically, instead of picking up the backer.

Yes, the mirror allows me to see if the page is out of the center of the screen, and also to see the progress of the capture, so that I know when I can start turning the page.

Don't worry too much about your language. I can live with it. If somebody doesn't understand what you are saying they can always ask you to repeat it.

Bill